PDA

View Full Version : Tony Dorsett's still has record run from scrimmage in NFL

PhiI C
09-04-2005, 10:47 PM
It happened on a Monday night football game in 1983 game against the Vikings. I think what happened was Minnesota had threatened to score inside the Dallas ten but a fumble was recovered by Dallas at about inside the 1 yard line about 12 inches from the goal line. Dorsett took the ball on the first play and broke lose and ran 99 yards for a td. It was really closer to about 99 2/3 yards but they only round it to 99 yards so it may be tied but it will never be broken.
Ahman Green of the Green Bay Packers came close when he made a 98 yard run from scrimmage against the Denver Broncos. Strange of all the Great Green Bay Packer runners like Jim Taylor, Paul Hornung, Elija Pitts that he was the one that did it.

MARLINDOGS
09-04-2005, 10:50 PM
I remember watching that game.That sure was a good one.:clap:

turbostud
09-04-2005, 10:52 PM
I remember watching that game to this day. I was in disbelief when 33 made that run.

Leopards,class of 75
09-04-2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by MARLINDOGS
I remember watching that game.That sure was a good one.:clap: I do remember that game very well! Was that on a Monday night football?

Hupernikomen
09-04-2005, 11:46 PM
It was on MNF and I remember it also..hard to believe I was that stout of a Cowboy fan at 8 years old but I remember that game and many others that 33 dominated.

ILS1
09-05-2005, 07:52 AM
Believe it or not,if I remember correctly. The Cowboys also ONLY had 10 men on the field. That makes the feat even more impressive!!!

pantherpop
09-05-2005, 11:08 AM
Being a die-hard Cowboy fan to this day I remember it well. At the time when Tony Dorsett played there was not a faster player in the NFL. What alot of people always questioned about Dorsett was his toughness but I watched him for alot of years and he was as tough as nails. Always gave 100%. The players today are bigger, faster, and stronger but in no way are they as tough or devoted as the players of the past.

HighSchool Fan
09-05-2005, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by pantherpop
Being a die-hard Cowboy fan to this day I remember it well. At the time when Tony Dorsett played there was not a faster player in the NFL. What alot of people always questioned about Dorsett was his toughness but I watched him for alot of years and he was as tough as nails. Always gave 100%. The players today are bigger, faster, and stronger but in no way are they as tough or devoted as the players of the past.

i remember watching darrell green from washington catch TD from behind. dorsett was fast, but not the fastest.

this record can't be broken, that's why he still has it.

it wasn't a very good game, minnesota won

PhiI C
09-05-2005, 11:37 AM
The game was played on Monday January 3, 1983.

pantherpop
09-05-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
i remember watching darrell green from washington catch TD from behind. dorsett was fast, but not the fastest.

this record can't be broken, that's why he still has it.

it wasn't a very good game, minnesota won 37-24.

Darrel Green did tackle TD on the play that you refer to but I believe he had a bit of an angle on him. People at that time were just amazed to see someone run step for step with TD. Darrel was the fastest during his career but I believe TD was one of a kind.

pantherpop
09-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Talking about this makes me think about Bullet Bob Hayes. He transformed the reciever position at that time. Teams had to come up with new coverages to cover him. Hayes was a track star at Floridia A&M I think and I'm not sure he even played college football. If he got one step on the defense it was all over. Wish he could have been alive when he was inducted to the ring of honor in Dallas.

PhiI C
09-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Bob Hayes was fast all right. If he got a step on the defender it was bye bye because he could catch the ball. I remember one time when they played the Giants he caught the ball just behind a Giant defender and raced about fifty yards to the endzone and the guys maintained the pace till inside the ten when the Giant defender tried to dive and get him but couldn't. After the game someone asked Bob Hayes if he was worried he would get caught and he jokedly said "Naw, I knew he was just a 9.6 man." lol
Another time in the 1971 year when Dallas won the Super Bowl during a regurly season game when Dallas beat Green Bay (their glory years after the 60s were over) Hayes caught a ball and was wide open running to the end zone and some Green Bay defender caught up with him and brough him down. Hayes stood up and starred at that defender in amazemen! :) He was great. It was too bad because shortly after that year he kept dropping the ball when he was wide open too many times. It may have been due to his drug problem. A real shame for it to end the way it did after all those great years.

GreenGobbla
09-05-2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
The game was played on Monday January 3, 1983.

dang this game was played before i was even born...

SintonFan_inAustin
09-05-2005, 12:08 PM
so if a runningback fumbles in the end zone and one of his teammates picks it up and runs the length of the field for a td, is that considered a run from scrimmage and it be 99 yd td run or a fumble recovery and 100+ td run?

piratebg
09-05-2005, 12:09 PM
yeah

lostaussie
09-05-2005, 02:04 PM
i was at showbiz pizza in longview texas consuming large quantities of my favorite beverage. thanks for the memory. that was a cool run.

HighSchool Fan
09-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
so if a runningback fumbles in the end zone and one of his teammates picks it up and runs the length of the field for a td, is that considered a run from scrimmage and it be 99 yd td run or a fumble recovery and 100+ td run?

if someone fumbles and someone else picks it up, that sounds like a fumble recovery to me.