PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys Sign Price

KTA
09-03-2005, 08:46 PM
Updated: Sep. 3, 2005, 9:25 PM ET

Cowboys beat Patriots, Dolphins, Saints to Price

By John Clayton and Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

The Dallas Cowboys won the Peerless Price sweepstakes Saturday, reaching agreement on a one-year contract worth $2 million.

The Cowboys beat out the Patriots, Dolphins and Saints in a competitive couple days of recruiting and negotiating with Price, who was released by the Atlanta Falcons in the cutdown to 65 earlier in the week.

On Friday, the numbers were at the $1.5 million level. The Cowboys finished the negotiations Saturday afternoon by offering the wide receiver $2 million for the season, including $500,000 in a signing bonus.

While the money was a factor in Price's decision, since Dallas' offer was considerably more than the other proposals he received, Cowboys quarterback Drew Bledsoe should get credit for an assist in helping to get Price to sign.

Bledsoe has been essentially recruiting Price by phone for more than a month. The two played together in Buffalo, where the receiver was successful as the No. 2 option behind starter Eric Moulds. Bledsoe has stayed in close contact for much of the offseason, or ever since it became apparent Price's days in Atlanta were numbered.

The quarterback clearly believes that Price, who had a career-best season in 2002 (94 catches, 1,252 yards, nine touchdowns) when Bledsoe was throwing to him, is salvageable. Others around the league who feel Price still has quick feet but has lost some speed -- he was never as straight-line fast as some people claimed he was -- aren't quite as sure. But Bledsoe has lobbied owner Jerry Jones and coach Bill Parcells hard to bring Price aboard, probably as the No. 3 receiver behind starters Keyshawn Johnson and Terry Glenn.

Price sat in Jones' owners box during the Cowboys' preseason finale against the Texans. Price had just visited with the Patriots and Dolphins, but the Cowboys continued pitching their team and Parcells.

Interestingly, Price told friends of his failed two-year tenure in Atlanta that he might never have approved the 2003 trade to the Falcons had he known he was "going to Nebraska." It was an allusion to the fact that, even with Michael Vick as the starting quarterback, a guy with whom Price desperately wanted to play when the deal was made, the Falcons are a run-first offense. The irony is that, in signing with the Cowboys, he will be going to an offense that is likewise run-oriented and in which second-year running back Julius Jones figures to be the centerpiece.

Patrick Crayton had beaten out Quincy Morgan for the No. 3 role, but that goes to Price unless he gets the opportunity to start.

Morgan might be among the team's final cuts.

John Clayton and Len Pasquarelli are senior NFL writers for ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2151065

gobbler grad
09-03-2005, 08:49 PM
another piece to the puzzle...:thinking:

IHStangFan
09-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
another piece to the puzzle...:thinking: yup....Parcells puttin his team together....Cowboys will be much improved this year i think.

Leopards,class of 75
09-03-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
yup....Parcells puttin his team together....Cowboys will be much improved this year i think. I hope your right! I feel better about this year than last year's team. Go Cowboys!

Rabbit'93
09-03-2005, 10:37 PM
price is a spare and has always been a spare in the nfl. can't understand the logic.

Chris Hart
09-03-2005, 11:25 PM
good pickup...

AggieJohn
09-03-2005, 11:30 PM
he's a liability at best this season

Tackle75
09-03-2005, 11:32 PM
Yeah, and with his size, I dont think he will be all that valuable, Parcells likes his 3rd and 4th recievers to play Special teams

I cant see such a small guy playing Speciall teams.

I think this is another Jerry Jones bonehead play, him tryin to add another speedy reciever like Rocket and Galloway a couple of years ago.

KTA
09-03-2005, 11:45 PM
This kinda sucks for Crayton he has been playing his *** off this offseason, and moves down on the charts almost auotmatically. I mean im glad we got price, I just feel bad for Crayton, hopefully he can step up his game and get in onto the action a little bit more.

IHStangFan
09-04-2005, 12:31 AM
I'm by no means a Cowboys fan, a couple of reasons....i vowed to quit watching them when Jones fired Johnson (i think Jones is a complete moron) I'm glad to see Parcells actually keeps "Coach" Jones in his box and off the field. Then Houston gets a team again, so i follow them as well....but i DO like to see the boys do well.

that being said.....GO COLTS!!! ITS YOUR YEAR!!

Rabbit'93
09-04-2005, 10:15 AM
I have lived in the Dallas area my entire life and considered myself a diehard cowboys fan since I was little. I am slowly becoming a fan of the Texans. :D

Bull's-eye
09-04-2005, 04:11 PM
I think this is a good insurance policy. Qincy Morgan hasn't been as productive as the Cowboys hoped and Crayton is still learning the position. Terry Glenn's injury last year really hurt the Cowboy's passing game. One injury to any receiver and fans will be glad they have Price. He had a great year with Bledsoe in Buffalo and not too bad in Atlanta, considering the Falcons run more than most teams. Now if the Cowboys can get his numbers from when he played in Buffalo, this will be a great move!

Pmoney
09-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Parcells has done something right for once:clap: :D