PDA

View Full Version : Wylie - Greenwood story

wildstangs
09-03-2005, 09:04 AM
Wylie overcomes penalty flags for big victory over Greenwood
By Jason Weddle / Reporter-News Staff Writer
September 2, 2005

MIDLAND — The Wylie High School football team picked things up right where it left off last week.

A week removed from a 41-0 shutout of San Angelo Lake View, the Bulldogs went on the road to score early and often. When the dust — and flags — settled Friday, Wylie was headed back to Abilene with a 35-14 win over Midland Greenwood.

The Bulldogs could have escaped town with an even larger margin of victory, but two Gary Edwards touchdowns, totaling 126 yards, were called back due to penalties.

"After I scored, I saw people screaming and stuff and then I saw the flags and I was like, ‘Oh man,’" Edwards said. "I don’t get mad, though. I just go back and try to score again."

When time finally expired, Wylie had been flagged 14 times for 102-yards. Things weren’t any better on the other sideline, as the Rangers committed 15 penalties for 106 yards.

"You’re always concerned about penalties," Wylie coach Hugh Sandifer said. "Both teams had a bunch, so it was just one of those nights both teams were a little sluggish in some areas."

In reality, the Bulldogs could have overcome 200 yards of penalties with an offense that was clicking on all cylinders.

For the second week in a row, Wylie started the scoring early, getting on the board in the game’s opening drive. A 2-yard Russell Felts touchdown run capped the 10-play, 52-yard drive.

"It set the tone," Wylie quarterback Case Keenum said. "Our offense did a great job early. We had a couple of third down conversions and did a great job of putting some points on the board."

After a 3-and-out by Greenwood, Edwards crossed the goal line on the team’s next drive for an official touchdown, when he was on the receiving end of a 52-yard Keenum pass.

After a 3-yard touchdown pass from Keenum to Zac Taylor, Keenum pulled off the highlight play of the night.

Wylie faced a 3rd-and-1 from its own 48 when Keenum punched a quarterback sneak right through the offensive line. After dragging the pile far enough for the first down, Keenum broke free for a 52-yard touchdown.

"We had quarterback wedge called, and I just told my guys to be conservative and that we only needed one or two yards," Keenum said. "I started pumping my feet, and all of a sudden, I was in the open."

Keenum finished the night with 161 yards and three touchdowns through the air, but the quarterback led the team in rushing for the second straight week with 120 yards on the ground.

The Wylie defense started off just as hot, holding the Rangers scoreless in the first half. Greenwood was mounting a drive to start the second half when Jacob Jennings intercepted a Colton Wilber pass to freeze the drive.

"I can’t take all the credit for that interception because Sam Eidson got his hands up and hit the ball," Jennings said.

The defense finally saw its six-quarter scoreless streak end in the third when Lane Flowers was on the receiving end of a 33-yard Wilber pass.

"You always want to keep it at a perfect zero, but I guess what goes around comes around," Jennings said.

Greenwood got on the board again in the fourth against Wylie’s second team, but for the second week in a row, the Bulldogs coasted to an easy win.

And for the second year in a row, the signs of a special season are clearly visible at Wylie.

Contact sports writer Jason Weddle at 676-6771 or weddlej@reporternews.com.

Greenwood 0 0 7 7—14
Wylie 14 14 0 7—35

Scoring Summary

First Quarter

W- Russell Felts 2 run 6:45 (Tyler Driskell kick)
W- Case Keenum 52 pass to Gary Edwards 3:03 (Driskell kick)

Second Quarter

W- Keenum 3 pass to Zac Taylor 10:15 (Driskell kick)
W- Keenum 52 run (Driskell kick)

Third Quarter

G-Wilber 33 pass to Flowers 3:35 (Logan Bawcom kick)

Fourth Quarter

W-Keenum 13 pass to Davis 11:01 (Driskell kick)
G-Williams 10 run (Bawcom kick)

Greenwood Wylie

First downs 13 10
Rushes — yards 35-156 32-206
Passing yards 111 161
Comp.-Att.-Int. 6-14-1 1-18-0
Punts 5-37.5 1-44
Fumbles-lost 3-1 5-3
Penalties-yards 15-106 14-101

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING — Wylie: Keenum 8-120, Felts 11-68, Edwards 3-4, Howdeshell 5-23; Greenwood: Washington 3-44, Sebree 7-2, Wilber 8-9, Flowers 1-2, Williams 16-99.

PASSING — Wylie: Keenum 161; Lake View: Wilber 111.

RECEIVING — Wylie: Edwards 5-113, Davis 3-24; Greenwood: Bawcom 2-41, Washington 2-36.