PDA

View Full Version : POLL: best formations both O&D

InEsLiOnChS76
07-29-2002, 12:43 PM
my O vote goes to the triple I and my D goes to 5-2

Bulldog92
07-29-2002, 01:05 PM
I think it depends on the personnel you have on both sides of the ball and can be changed every so often if your coaches are well educated on different schemes. Personally, I like the spread offense because it gives you some versatility if you can't run the ball on a team. In Jasper, we ran the veer for years, but if we couldn't pass the ball well when we needed to, we were screwed. Last year, we switched to the spread and had one of the best offensive seasons in school history. We still ran about 60-65% of the time, but the added dimension of the passing game did wonders for us. On defense, it depends on how physical and quick the LB's are. I believe we always ran a 4-3 because our LB's were always very quick to the ball.

QBKilla
07-29-2002, 01:52 PM
I would have to go with the spread offense and the 5-2 Defense. The front 5 keep most of the blockers away from the backers so they can make the tackles. You just have to have some fast and physical backers.

Matthew328
07-29-2002, 01:56 PM
A lot of it depends on the personel you have to work with....spread offense works great for a team like Jasper...but some teams don't have the players to run that type of offense..defense is the same way...either way you have gotta be versatile and be able to mix things up...teams that are one dimensional tend to get beat come playoff time...

Jacket2000
07-29-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by InEsLiOnChS76:
...and those just happen to be what Castleberry runs.LOL
On defense, I gotta go with the traditional 4-3, cover 2. If I ever figure out how GA Moore runs that 10-1, I'll probably go with that.
On offense, I gotta go with the wishbone. Guess Im just old fashoned, but Id much rather have "4 yds and a cloud of dust" than "basketball on grass"(spread).
J2K

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-29-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Jacket2000:

On defense, I gotta go with the traditional 4-3, cover 2. If I ever figure out how GA Moore runs that 10-1, I'll probably go with that.
On offense, I gotta go with the wishbone. Guess Im just old fashoned, but Id much rather have "4 yds and a cloud of dust" than "basketball on grass"(spread).
J2K

Hell has OFFICIALLY frozen over! Jacket and I agree on something!!! I love the "4 yards and a cloud of dust" approach to offensive football. But to be honest, I don't care MUCH about defense. But i've never really been a big fan of the wishbone.

What we ran at Port Isabel, when I played at least, was a modified version of the wing-t.....instead of a wing, we had a slotback, and moved the halfback behind the strong tackle......like this.

X X X O X X X
X X

X X

LOADS of misdirection running plays, and play action passing plays. In 1994, with this offense alone, we averaged 300+ yards rushing, and 100+ passing.

In regards to G.A. Moore.....how can a 10-1 defense be possible???

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-29-2002, 02:48 PM
Damn, it didn't come out right.........sorry about that y'all.

c-town_balla
07-29-2002, 11:51 PM
One thig was in the Todd Dodge era of cameron we ran a Pro-Set but we didnt have enought Depth and we had a few 3 and 7 years in there

toby070
07-30-2002, 12:18 AM
Coaches out there, tell me why hardly anyone runs the Houston Veer. As one who thoroughly enjoyed the Jim Wacker days at SWT, I never understood why more teams didn't run it.

Anyway, I love watching the wing-t offense that Bush installed at San Marcos. It's hell trying to find the ballcarrier. I like watching a spread offense if the team is also capable of running the ball. Wimberley ran a lot of trips sets last year, then pounded the ball with Slaughter.

Defensively, I like the 4-3.

SintonFan
07-30-2002, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by toby070:
Coaches out there, tell me why hardly anyone runs the Houston Veer. As one who thoroughly enjoyed the Jim Wacker days at SWT, I never understood why more teams didn't run it.

Anyway, I love watching the wing-t offense that Bush installed at San Marcos. It's hell trying to find the ballcarrier. I like watching a spread offense if the team is also capable of running the ball. Wimberley ran a lot of trips sets last year, then pounded the ball with Slaughter.

Defensively, I like the 4-3.

toby070, I agree with you that the wing-t is fun to watch. It's kinda like trying to see which ant is carrying the most food in a nest that's been 'stirred up'.

InEsLiOnChS76
07-30-2002, 12:58 AM
J2K
that is the O we run but i do personally belive its better becuz i can face the fact we lack talent yet we were still able to score as many points and make as many yards as most of what people that played everman teh reason i use them to guage my own team is becuz basicly the are the perverbial ruler as for the D we ran the 5-1-5 and this year we will be running a offset 4-3

Jacket2000
07-30-2002, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas:

In regards to G.A. Moore.....how can a 10-1 defense be possible???

Hell if I know. But, GA has won 57 consecutive games with it. Sometimes, it seems as if he's gambling that the defense will get to the QB before he can throw, and other times it seems as if they're calling the coverage from the field, and then other times I cant figure out what in the hell they're doing. If you can, try to get ahold of a copy of the 2000 Celina/Mart game. I swear, they never did the same thing twice, and whatever they did do, they disguised it very well. Other than about 3 plays, they completely dominated the top offense in the state.
As for the 'bone, yes, I know, it's pretty much obsolete at this point. That's why my next choice would be the "Old Yale" formation. It's rarely ran anymore, but was almost unstoppable during its time. With a few varriations, I think it could be fairly powerfull now. Something that Ive come up with on my own(at least I like to think that I did) is a outside veer-option out of the shotgun with one back and a wing, or maybe even a nasty slot. I have yet to see it ran, but it looks good on paper!
J2K

bc 76
07-30-2002, 03:54 AM
Toby 070 i also watching a team that runs the veer.We ran that offense when i played in bay city under coach RON MILLS.We won a lot games using that offense.Another team that ran that offense was brazoswood buccaneers under coach LZ BRYAN,they use to be a power house team during 1969-1981.

toby070
07-30-2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by bc 76:
Toby 070 i also watching a team that runs the veer.We ran that offense when i played in bay city under coach RON MILLS.We won a lot games using that offense.Another team that ran that offense was brazoswood buccaneers under coach LZ BRYAN,they use to be a power house team during 1969-1981.

Coach Mills was a really nice guy, he was here in San Marcos for a few years after he left Bay City, but maybe that answers my question, because there wasn't a lot of speed here during his time coaching, and now that I think of it, he didn't put in the veer here.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-30-2002, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Jacket2000:
Hell if I know. But, GA has won 57 consecutive games with it. Sometimes, it seems as if he's gambling that the defense will get to the QB before he can throw, and other times it seems as if they're calling the coverage from the field, and then other times I cant figure out what in the hell they're doing. If you can, try to get ahold of a copy of the 2000 Celina/Mart game. I swear, they never did the same thing twice, and whatever they did do, they disguised it very well. Other than about 3 plays, they completely dominated the top offense in the state.
As for the 'bone, yes, I know, it's pretty much obsolete at this point. That's why my next choice would be the "Old Yale" formation. It's rarely ran anymore, but was almost unstoppable during its time. With a few varriations, I think it could be fairly powerfull now. Something that Ive come up with on my own(at least I like to think that I did) is a outside veer-option out of the shotgun with one back and a wing, or maybe even a nasty slot. I have yet to see it ran, but it looks good on paper!
J2K

Sounds like you and I need to talk some offense!!! What kind of variations WOULD help bring back the old "Yale" formation? Like I stated earlier, I run a modified
Wing-T......but instead of a wing on the strong side, there's a slot on the weak side, and the halfback is on the strong side. Kinda hard to describe, and I can't draw it up on here like I tried to, but it's LOADS of fun to run, especially if you like lots of misdirection running plays, and play action passing plays.

MPir.~def.58
08-03-2002, 03:27 PM
A WING "T" OFFENSE IS THE BEST FOR A POWER RUNNING TEAM. MY DEFFENSIVE VOTE GOES FOR A STACK OR A 4-3. WELLI WOULD SAY ALL OF MY FAV. DEFFENSES BUT I WOULDNT WANT TO GIVE ANY HELP TO ALL THOSE STRAGGLERS