PDA

View Full Version : Possibly no High School playoff games at the Astrodome

KTJ
09-02-2005, 01:56 PM
CNN reported this morning that the Astrodome schedule has been cleared thru December becuase that is how long they could possibly be in there.

The Astrodome received it's own Zip Code this morning for people to send mail, etc. to loved ones.

3afan
09-02-2005, 02:50 PM
kudos to Houston

heard Dallas was getting between 10K & 20K ... they have put out the plea for help to neighboring counties/cities 'cause they can only handle so many at reunion arena and the convention center

shellman54
09-02-2005, 02:51 PM
Yeah, heard Houston is now opening up Reliant Arena and GRB

AggieJohn
09-02-2005, 03:27 PM
i know this is unsensative, but weren't most of the 20000 that they are moving here into Houston primarily from low income families who didn't have the means necessary to get out, does that mean that most likely these people will infest houston and already crampen the already homeless section of houston

K-TOWN
09-02-2005, 03:30 PM
Does any one know if more people ar at the new orleans hornets Stadium ?!?!

or is it flooded ??!!?

lepfan
09-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
i know this is unsensative, but weren't most of the 20000 that they are moving here into Houston primarily from low income families who didn't have the means necessary to get out, does that mean that most likely these people will infest houston and already crampen the already homeless section of houston

Does it matter...infest is a harsh word to use. EMPATHY is the word for the remainder of this year and until all are back to their normal life!!!

em·pa·thy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mp-th)n.
Identification with and understanding of another's situation, feelings, and motives.

Da Mules
09-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Well, yes it does matter, in the long run.. While every one of us needs to do whatever we can right now for these people ( and in my case, all I can do is donate to the Red Cross,) in the long run, decisions and plans need to worked out now about their future, if and when they can return to New Orleans, where will they find a place to live if NO is uninhabitable for several years, etc.

Just thoughtlessly dumping 20000 homeless people in a city which already has too many would qualify as an infestation, in my book.

gobbler grad
09-02-2005, 05:51 PM
you can forget any playoff games in Houston at the Astrodome, unless they play somewhere else...

lepfan
09-02-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Da Mules

Just thoughtlessly dumping 20000 homeless people in a city which already has too many would qualify as an infestation, in my book.

I can not believe what I am reading. IMO -- Using the word infestation is very insensative when referring to human beings. Rodents, locusts, termites, etc. are usually what you think of with that term. You should pray that you are never displaced...I am sure these people would much rather go back to their homes (or at least to the area where their homes once were). The question is...will they have the resources to make the trip back 'home'?

KTJ
09-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Da Mules
Well, yes it does matter, in the long run.. While every one of us needs to do whatever we can right now for these people ( and in my case, all I can do is donate to the Red Cross,) in the long run, decisions and plans need to worked out now about their future, if and when they can return to New Orleans, where will they find a place to live if NO is uninhabitable for several years, etc.

You honestly think the state of Texas and the city of Houston didn't think before this happened? So if Houston didn't accept those people, where would they have gone? What would you suggest?

You're basically saying send them somewhere else, that it isn't "our problem"; but it is. The entire nation should help.

JasperDog94
09-02-2005, 07:58 PM
Back to the subject at hand, I see this as no big loss to high school football. The dome is a dump of a statium and would be my next to last choice of stadiums. Right behind anywhere in El Paso.

j_dog
09-02-2005, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Back to the subject at hand, I see this as no big loss to high school football. The dome is a dump of a statium and would be my next to last choice of stadiums. Right behind anywhere in El Paso.
I agree. Well, maybe calling it a dump is an overstatement, but the Astrodome has been no friend of Jasper. I am happy to see them play anywhere else.:)

Da Mules
09-02-2005, 10:19 PM
No way did I say send them some place else, or that I'm not my brother's keeper. "Read" the post again, bubba, and maybe this time read what I said, not what you think I said. You seem to think that if anybody is pointing out problems down the road, that they're against helping these poor people. I said AggieJohn has a valid point about the FUTURE of these people, and that for once in a decade that G-D government needs to think AHEAD about a problem and find a solution. Looking beyond just the Houston area, do you think keeping 100,000+ evacuees in Texas for a few weeks and then just telling them to hit the streets is good for them, for Texas, or for anybody? This disaster is going to require a lot of resources to resolve, only the Federal government has access to anything even close to it, THEY NEED TO DO IT, and if that means higher taxes on people like me in order to pay for it, so be it. We have evacuess coming to Amarillo and Lubbock. Maybe I can do something for some of them. I want to help. But as AggieJohn said, just feeding them for a while and then turning them loose without a home, a future, a plan is NOT the answer.
Now maybe you can believe what you're reading.