PDA

View Full Version : Any of your teams call the offensive plays from the sidelines using hand signals?

cdlvj
09-02-2005, 07:28 AM
Seen anyone use this?

neck_06
09-02-2005, 07:32 AM
alot of teams do this during 2 minute offense

j_dog
09-02-2005, 08:54 AM
Jasper does it on EVERY play. Several times. At least they have in the past, and I have not heard about their changing.

cdlvj
09-02-2005, 09:03 AM
Few years back SA MacArthur used it for the entire season. That year they squeaked into the playoffs in their 5A district which has Converse Judson.

They played Westlake which was heavily favored to win State in the first round of the playoffs.

With a minute to go, Mac was on the 1 yard line ready to score the winning TD with no timeouts. The OC called the play, turned his back and walked toward the bench, the QB did not get the call and was all confused. Mac got a delay of game penalty, and was not able to score.

Needless to say, that system was scrapped, and following year Mac won the district, and that year did beat Westlake (also heavily favored to win State) in the 1st round.

IMHO, it just makes thing to complicated for HS kids.
just my .02.

j_dog
09-02-2005, 09:13 AM
Jasper uses the system because they can decide on the play AFTER they see how the defense lines up. I presume Jasper coaches are happy with the system considering they have in the past four years made it to QF once, two Semi-finals, and last year to the finals.

vet93
09-02-2005, 09:14 AM
Tell that to teams like Southlake Carroll, Highland Park, Ennis and many teams who call many of their plays from the sidelines and do not huddle up very often...I think their kids have been able to handle the system.

Originally posted by cdlvj
Few years back SA MacArthur used it for the entire season. That year they squeaked into the playoffs in their 5A district which has Converse Judson.

They played Westlake which was heavily favored to win State in the first round of the playoffs.

With a minute to go, Mac was on the 1 yard line ready to score the winning TD with no timeouts. The OC called the play, turned his back and walked toward the bench, the QB did not get the call and was all confused. Mac got a delay of game penalty, and was not able to score.

Needless to say, that system was scrapped, and following year Mac won the district, and that year did beat Westlake (also heavily favored to win State) in the 1st round.

IMHO, it just makes thing to complicated for HS kids.
just my .02.

lostaussie
09-02-2005, 09:20 AM
gilmer hasn't been in a huddle in 4 years. every play is called by hand signals and they are on of the best in the state at it. the so called "greatest show on turf" continues tonight against jefferson on the buckeyes brand new field turf.

MARLINDOGS
09-02-2005, 09:26 AM
Alot of teams call there plays in by hand signals.

RBARKER
09-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Barbers Hill runs the no huddle offense, so all of their plays are called from the side.

slpybear the bullfan
09-02-2005, 10:16 AM
Bridgeport has been doing this for many years.

Backs and QB get their signals from the sideline and never go into the huddle unless there was a change of possession, timeout, or running goaline with loaded up big boys. After the coaches send in the plays, the QB tells the O line what the play is and they run it. Very successfull with this.

The defense is the same way, except they have been doing that since before I graduated back in the ancient eighties.

It is not too complicated for HS kids to run. Unless it is too complicated for the coaches to effectively use. IMHO anyway.

schu1213
09-02-2005, 10:39 AM
At Cuero the qb has a 2 wrist bands with plays on them. The coach will either signal in a number on the wrist band or he will signal in the play himself.

cdlvj
09-04-2005, 12:47 PM
Well La Grange sure does not do it well at all. Offensive line was in pass mode block on running plays, and vice versa.
Receivers were running the wrong routes all night long. I simply don't think it will work at all, just play basic football.

NateDawg39
09-04-2005, 10:19 PM
Decatur has run the no huddle offense since Coach Story came and it works great! I think the reason it doesn't work for a lot of teams is because they dont practice the signals enough in practice.When we played Gainesville last year they had two coaches with white gloves on calling the plays, they show different motions for the scheme on O or D.It just takes practice to learn.

turbostud
09-04-2005, 10:48 PM
McAllen High used hand signals Fri night against Weslaco. This was a game that McHi was "supposed" to win. Weslaco is 2-0, have some great talent this year, and are surprising alot of people. They havent made the playoffs or had a winning record in the last few years because of the original high school being split into another. Another poster on another forum even hinted that Weslaco was stealing the signals because their defense shut down McHi.

Here is his quote: "Weslaco played a great game and congrats to them. I believe Weslaco cannot surprise anybody anymore, everyone knows they are good by now. May I ask a quick question?? Not taking anything away from Weslaco, but they seemed to know where McHi was going too on almost every play. Should the McHi coaches do away with the signaling of the plays and shuffle players with the plays instead of signaling them in on every play??"

bulldogbark
09-04-2005, 10:54 PM
it has gotten easy for jasper to know the signals cause the same ones are used from the 7th grade on up to varsity so the system is there by the time high school comes along. and there are three coaches sending in the signals two are active and one is fake.

sundevil
09-04-2005, 11:15 PM
Gilmer also uses hand signals to call plays for the offense. This seems to work out well for us but it sure seems to take just as much time as running the play out by a WR and breaking from the huddle.

I guess the best reason for using this is that everyone can pretty much go to their position for the next play and that it can go faster when needed.

I know...........stating the obvious..

Leopards,class of 75
09-04-2005, 11:27 PM
Gainesville uses two to give signals from the sidelines.

TOPS1435
09-05-2005, 02:25 PM
Traylor was 6-4 in his first year at Gilmer. His former coach in Jacksonville asked him to coach the scout team in the off season as they prepared for a game with Ennis.

He determined that was the offense that he thought would fit his personallity and his teams. He then started interviewing the Ennis and SL Carroll coaches and getting tape from them.

Any one who has seen Gilmer play these past 4 years knows that know no one else calls signals. He must loose 10 pounds a game the way he uses energy on the calls. The receiver coach/head basketball coach holds up a card indicating whether it is a blue or a yellow play, and Traylor indicates the rest.

Like Jasper, the Gilmer kids start getting the signals in the 7th grade. If anyone is does not to look to the sidelines in those lower grades, I doubt if he would make the varsity years later.

Since going with the spread offense, Traylor is 47-7 with four playoff appearances, one state championships, and two wins this year. All of the sophomore and juniors on the team have been getting those signals since they started playing ball.

More and more we are seeing teams around here going the same route even though I overheard some coaches at a non-Gilmer game say "they are not even playing football." (PS Gilmer humiliated that team last year.) Anyone who watched Jasper and Gilmer play in December would say that they played an awful lot of football.

cdlvj
09-08-2005, 08:21 AM
My question is that would it not be possible that by mapping each play, one could have the signals figured out by the end of the 1st quarter?

bulldogbark
09-08-2005, 08:29 AM
not when you have three coaches giving signals and only one is the active call:)

cdlvj
09-08-2005, 08:36 AM
Well get the ole computer out, I bet it could be done. Even with the deception.

raider red 2000
09-08-2005, 09:42 AM
there are lots of coaches who dont care if the defense knows the play.

the defense still has to stop it.

many of the teams that run these offenses are passing....you still have to cover all of the recievers.

many of the runs have some sort of option off of the play. defense still has to play defense.

hubbardjack
09-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Rusk uses it sometimes, alot of times they go ahead and huddle up, but at times we use hand signals....

football4life
09-08-2005, 11:44 AM
This is Canyon's second year of using the no huddle/ signal offense. Our coaches went and watched some southlake carrol games a few years ago and decided to implement that. It's worked wonders, maybe because everyone up here is still on the old school side.