PDA

View Full Version : Ingleside's Brandon Stacey

piratebg
09-01-2005, 05:58 PM
A co-worker from Ingleside told me about this and I just wanted to get some opinions.

INGLESIDE - An Ingleside family is upset that the student who allegedly caused the death of their son is being allowed to play football. In fact, the situation has become an extremely sensitive and divisive issue in the Ingleside community. Some say the player deserves a second chance, but others argue he's getting undeserved special treatment.

Quarterback Brandon Stacy is arguably the star player of the Ingleside squad, and helped to lead them to the playoffs in 2004. But in March, he was arrested and charged with intoxication manslaughter for the death of 18-year old J.R. Jasso, a fellow football player and the youngest of five children.

J.R. was the passenger in Stacy's car when Stacy allegedly ran a stop sign. J.R. was killed by an oncoming car.

"J.R. loved football, said J.R.'s mother Rita Jasso. "I mean he was a character." She can hardly talk about it, and it's been especially hard for his father, as well as his friends.

"It was a big shock, because I mean, nothing like this had really happened to us, at all," said friend David Miller. Although Brandon Stacy has not been indicted or found guilty yet, J.R.'s family is angry that a second degree felony suspect is allowed to continue playing.

According to the UIL, as long as an athlete makes the grades, is a full-time student, and lives in the district, he's ok to play. Criminal charges have no impact on eligibility. That policy is left up to local districts.

Obviously, if Brandon Stacy is still playing, then there is no local rule preventing him from doing so. School officials tell us he was punished and put on probation at the end of last year, but as of right now, he is off probation. They're hoping he can prove to everyone through this season that he's not the bad guy many are claiming him to be.

But Rita refuses to give in, a nd feels his playing sends the wrong message to the rest of the students and the community.

"Is this the kind of person Ingleside wants to represent as a star player?" Jasso said. If Stacy is convicted, he would be forced to quit athletics and attend an alternative school program. Stacy's family chose not to comment on the charges.

Meanwhile, the Jasso family and others are working to change the eligibility requirements for high school athletes with pending criminal charges.

Online Reporter: Bart Bedsole
KRIS6 News

Gobbla2001
09-01-2005, 06:10 PM
My sister was killed by a drunk-driver... so yah you can say it's a personal deal for me...

But the word 'allegedly' says it all for me...

Innocent uintil proven guilty ring a bell, anyone?

The kid's an American, and is innocent until proven guilty... whether 'ya know' he did it or not, the correct thing to do would be to let him play...

Not a good situation for Ingleside...

pirate44
09-01-2005, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
My sister was killed by a drunk-driver... so yah you can say it's a personal deal for me...

But the word 'allegedly' says it all for me...

Innocent uintil proven guilty ring a bell, anyone?

The kid's an American, and is innocent until proven guilty... whether 'ya know' he did it or not, the correct thing to do would be to let him play...

Not a good situation for Ingleside...
well said :clap:

IHStangFan
09-02-2005, 12:30 AM
rumor has it hes out. This changes up everything for Ingleside.

SINTON81
09-02-2005, 08:05 AM
This was in today's Caller Times. I think it explains the reason she is upset. I looks like he was arrested a second time, and it was after the the car wreck that killed her son.

Victim's mom questions Ingleside QB's status
By Javier Becerra Caller-Times
September 2, 2005

The mother of a former Ingleside football player killed in a car accident is having second thoughts about having supported the driver's return to the field after police found marijuana in a car in which he was a passenger.

Quarterback Brandon Stacy, 17, was not at Ingleside's practice Thursday, although he did play in the team's season opener against Bishop last week. The 5-foot-8, 155-pound Stacy rushed for 124 yards and a touchdown and passed for another score in the 48-0 victory.

"I thought Brandon had changed, really and truly, after the death of my son," said Rita Jasso, mother of Cirilo Jasso Jr.

Ingleside superintendent Troy Mircovich and athletic director/football coach Graig Hesseltine would not comment on Stacy's status with the team. Gene Garcia, Stacy's attorney, said he was not aware of the senior's status and wasn't sure why he should be dismissed from the team. Stacy's father also couldn't be reached for comment.

Three months after the traffic accident that killed Cirilo Jasso Jr. and led to charges of intoxication manslaughter against Stacy, police arrested Stacy on suspicion of possession of marijuana after a traffic stop on June 27.

San Patricio County Attorney David Aken said Stacy is due in court Sept. 9 for arraignment on the marijuana possession charge. District Attorney Patrick Flanigan, who is handling the intoxication manslaughter case, could not be reached for comment.

Stacy's attorney said he was unaware of any pending court dates.

Intoxication manslaughter is a second-degree felony punishable by two to 20 years in prison and a fine not to exceed $10,000. Possession of a gram or less of marijuana is a Class B misdemeanor and punishable by as many as 180 days in jail and a fine of as much as $2,000.

D.W. Rutledge, executive vice president of the Texas High School Coaches Association, said players in Stacy's situation should not be allowed on the field.

"Our guidelines are that being charged with a felony is a breach of the code of conduct," Rutledge said. "It should not allow for a player to participate in athletics until such time that the player has had time to clear his name."

Rita Jasso said she supported Stacy's return to the Mustangs until learning of his second arrest.

"I told his dad I was willing to talk for Brandon," she said.

"I guess my son's death didn't mean anything to this boy."

Stacy was the passenger in a car when Ingleside police stopped the vehicle at about 3:20 a.m. June 27 on Avenue A just south of Tiner Lane. Officers found various smoked marijuana cigarette butts in the back seat and a small tin can that contained a paper clip and some loose marijuana under the driver's seat. A further search revealed three cold cans of beer in the trunk.

Jasso said she had heard rumors of Stacy's second arrest until she went to the San Patricio County Courthouse and obtained a police report.

"I cried," she said. "In my heart I know he didn't learn anything from his mistake. I just don't want to see another family hurt. I know about hurt. I'm going to live with it all of my life."

Stacy posted $50,000 bond on the charge of intoxication manslaughter in connection with the fatal car accident at 12:45 a.m. on March 28 at Farm-to-Market Road 2725 and Kinney Lane near Ingleside.

Department of Public Safety spokesman Charlie Ramirez said Stacy failed to stop at a stop sign and collided with a vehicle driven by Daniel Monroe, 48, of Gregory.

Contact Javier Becerra at 886-3734 or HYPERLINK mailto:becerraj@caller.com becerraj@caller.com

Hannibal
09-02-2005, 08:53 AM
One time, shame on me. Two times, shame on you.

Had a player a few years ago with charges filed against him. He was gone until it was resolved. I hope that the powers that be in Ingleside will do the right thing.

Fish's mom
09-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Just so the record is straight. Brandon at this time is no longer with the Ingleside program as of Wednesday.

But there is no I in team. The Mustangs are a group of talented young players and will do well this year.

Watch out for the Mustang Stampede.

pirate4state
09-02-2005, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Fish's mom
Just so the record is straight. Brandon at this time is no longer with the Ingleside program as of Wednesday.

But there is no I in team. The Mustangs are a group of talented young players and will do well this year.

Watch out for the Mustang Stampede. Well said Fish Mom!! Lets hope that this young man will get his life in order, he is too young to waste his life away. :(

Sinton will be watching for that Mustang Stampede!! :D

MARLINDOGS
09-02-2005, 09:19 AM
I hope he gets his life straight.

IHStangFan
09-02-2005, 03:58 PM
as a football player, and speaking strictly of his talent, his presence, or lack there of on the field for Ingleside will be apparent, he was very talented....but that being said....I hope the Stangs can put this aside, adjust fire, and keep on keepin on.

GO STANGS!!