PDA

View Full Version : School Song Traditions

Ranger Mom
08-11-2003, 09:49 PM
Greenwood's school song is set to the music "The eyes of Texas", (it was several years before I found out the music was not a slow rendition of, "I've been working on the railroad" - I never knew those 2 songs had the same tune!!) Anyway, when the school song plays everyone "get's their gun up" (I know - that isn't politically correct anymore). One arm raised with their "finger" pistol raised to the sky!!

What other school songs are set to known music - and are their any traditions that go along with your song??

Blackcat03
08-11-2003, 09:54 PM
Mexia's school song and fight song are the only one of their kind. The band director we used to have way back when made them up, and got it to where nobody else can use it. I forgot his name but I know he went on to direct at A&m for a really long time, and he did a really good job. Our school song is played before every game and the band comes up with a beat that is played at every kick off and kick return. And at the end of the game, win or lose, we go stand in front of the band with our helmets raised, while the school song is played. It's been done there for years and will be done that way for years to come. I'm proud to say that Mexia has it's own school song and fight song. Go Cats! Nobody thought ya'll would win District last year or this year! And look what happened last year! Go out and make a repeat!!! Good luck guys!

PhiI C
08-11-2003, 10:09 PM
Forget politics and whatever political party it applies to but since the SPURS beat the Nets for the 2003 NBA Championship then "Happy Days are Here Again!" :)

BEST NBA SERIES WE EVER HAD!!

HEY ESPN: "WHERE'S THE CAT?"

PhiI C
08-11-2003, 10:29 PM
I can't think of who sang it but years ago two singers from Texas and I cannot think of who they were made a record called "Where's the Dress?" It was a spoof of the sucess that Boy George had who wore dresses. It was a catchy tune. I wish I had recorded it. Anyway it is also used to the tune of the question asked ESPN: "WHERE'S THE CAT?" :)

crzyjournalist03
08-11-2003, 10:52 PM
After every Forney football game, win or lose, the players and cheerleaders go out to the middle of the field while the band plays the school song. They and all the fans join in singing the song with our rabbit ears raised, waving back and forth slowly until the words "Black and Gold", with which everyone begins to cheer and show their appreciation for the game and team.

3afan2K3
08-11-2003, 10:52 PM
Forney's fight song is the same as the Texas Longhorns, and on the school song fans make their hands like rabbits ears and go back and forth.

<small>[ August 11, 2003, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: 3afan2K3 ]</small>

Keith7
08-11-2003, 11:36 PM
Ours is the same as Notre Dame's... which is cool cuz it makes it more realistic when I make the Gainesville Leopards on my NCAA football game

exbccards76'smom
08-11-2003, 11:39 PM
Bridge City's fight song is one of the armed forces theme song. BC, too, after every game win or lose, the players go and stand in front of the band with helmets raised while the band plays the school song.

Old Tiger
08-11-2003, 11:43 PM
yay blue, yay gold...lol

3afan2K3
08-11-2003, 11:45 PM
Do any school have a fightsong like Florida State? Where the crowd goes ooo ooooo oooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooo ooooo and so on and so on.

Jimbotex40
08-11-2003, 11:46 PM
we have the t.u. fight song. it sucks, cuz ive gotten to like it thru high school, but now i am gonna have to cut that out.

kyle, the song we do the rabbit ears with is not t.u's, thats our school song.

c-town_balla
08-12-2003, 01:42 AM
Our school song is very fast paced. That is nice since all the other songs sound depressing... I know Troy has about 3 fight songs, I heard A&M I heard TExas and I heard another one

sinton66
08-12-2003, 07:06 AM
Sinton's School song is an original titled "Maroon and White". I'm pretty sure the tune is also original. I used to know who wrote it, but don't remember now. That's kinda strange, because I still know all the words to the song. wink

<small>[ August 12, 2003, 07:07 AM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

exbccards76'smom
08-12-2003, 09:23 AM
I forgot this part. The players do the Big Red cheer also at the end of the game.

JasperDog94
08-12-2003, 09:43 AM
Jimbotex40:
we have the t.u. fight song. it sucks, cuz ive gotten to like it thru high school, but now i am gonna have to cut that out.

kyle, the song we do the rabbit ears with is not t.u's, thats our school song.You guys really need to work on that dyslexia :D

vet93
08-12-2003, 10:11 AM
Last year we played Greenwood first and their school songs was set to the music from the University of Texas school song and then we played Bangs and their school song was set to the Aggie War Hymn. Man...I thought after the first two weeks that we were playing in the Big 12!....If you saw the thighs of some of the boys that played on both of those teams...you would have thought we were playing in the Big 12 too!!! Tough to start the season playing a class 2a and class 3a state finalist.

jason
08-12-2003, 09:08 PM
JasperDog94:

Jimbotex40:

kyle, the song we do the rabbit ears with is not t.u's, thats our school song.You guys really need to work on that dyslexia :D you have to know jimbo to understand him...something very few people are able to do :D

Ranger Mom
08-12-2003, 09:10 PM
vet93:
Last year we played Greenwood first and their school song was set to the music from the University of Texas school song ......It is?? I didn't realize that. (It still sounds like, "I've been working on the railroad" to me!!

Big Cheese
08-13-2003, 12:52 AM
jason:

JasperDog94:

Jimbotex40:

kyle, the song we do the rabbit ears with is not t.u's, thats our school song.You guys really need to work on that dyslexia :D you have to know jimbo to understand him...something very few people are able to do :D I don't know jimbo but I sure do understand him. Jimbo I know what you mean. My band director used to make us play t.u's fight song and I know it but now I've got to lose it. I do know the AGGIE WAR HYMN better though. I'll always know that one by heart being as how I bleed maroon.

Gilmer Buckeye
08-13-2003, 09:28 AM
As a graduate of both Gilmer and The University of Texas, I bleed two different shades of orange. Maybe one of these days with the new coach and all, the maroons down in Aggieland can give us a game again.

Our school song is pretty upbeat compared to most as it is sung to the tune of "The Stars and Stripes Forever":

An Army of Buckeyes are we
We work and we play all together
We're proud of our school as can be,
And we want you all to know

We love Gilmer High and we aim
To support her in fair or foul weather;
We know we are right when we say
Oh Gilmer High! Oh Gilmer High!
Will live forever.

Then as the song ends, the cheerleaders shout "G..H..S".

Then the band usually strikes up the fight song, which is to the tune of "On Wisconsin" only it's called "On You Buckeyes."

I am actually drawing a blank as to some of the words in this one, so I'll spare you all.