PDA

View Full Version : LA move ins - from DMN !!!!

3afan
09-01-2005, 07:22 AM
here ya go ....................

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Louisiana HS stars may play in Texas
UIL will allow students to compete where they temporarily enroll
03:58 AM CDT on Thursday, September 1, 2005
Associated Press

For some families displaced by Hurricane Katrina, resuming a sense of normalcy includes making sure their sons can still play high school football.

With Texas high school coaches already being approached by Louisiana residents about joining their teams, the University Interscholastic League said it would allow displaced students to compete at the schools where they temporarily enroll.

Thousands of storm refugees will likely enter the Texas school system, Texas Education Commissioner Shirley J. Neeley said.

At West Orange-Stark High School, which sits along the Louisiana border, football coach Dan Hooks said five players have contacted him about joining his team.

Athletes whose entire families move to Texas will follow the same procedure as in-state transfers. Students wanting to play subvarsity sports can participate almost immediately. Varsity players must sit out for 15 days after completing paperwork and getting approval from the district executive committee.

The process is more involved for students who enroll with guardians remaining in Louisiana. They must also apply for a waiver from the UIL, which has traditionally been a safeguard against recruiting or players seeking a move for strictly athletic gains.

Submitting the waiver usually requires a $100 fee, but UIL spokeswoman Kim Rogers said the cost has been waived because of the hardships families have already endured.

Beaumont ISD athletic director Rodney Saveat said he expects to start receiving transfer requests soon. In Dallas, where large shelters were being set up Wednesday, district athletic director Troy Mathieu thinks the UIL will be accommodating with almost all transfers.

"Given the circumstances, I would think they would be very considerate," Mathieu said.

Mathieu, who oversaw operations for the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans before coming to Dallas, said the damage he's seen on television suggests that New Orleans schools would be pressed to resume athletics this year.

Bobby Burton of Rivals.com said as many 150 players with Division I potential live in areas that sustained extensive damage.

Burton said transferring could diminish an athlete's playing time and exposure, lessening their chances at getting noticed by college coaches.

"It's significant," Burton said. "A lot of players are going to be affected by this."

scrub c
09-01-2005, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
[B]here ya go ....................

At West Orange-Stark High School, which sits along the Louisiana border, football coach Dan Hooks said five players have contacted him about joining his team.
/B]

Just what WOS needs - a few more athletes...:doh:

3afan
09-01-2005, 07:33 AM
this is going to get real interesting ...................

piratebg
09-01-2005, 07:44 AM
I wonder if this would give some east Texas teams a slight advantage in terms of talent and depth?

AggieJohn
09-01-2005, 07:55 AM
i think this is going to be a wild card in the east texas football, we won't know what the effects of this will be until 10 weeks from now

Phil C
09-01-2005, 08:02 AM
As long as they count them for the UIL enrollments.

Gobbler Fan
09-01-2005, 08:03 AM
Not to mention the fact that the coaches will be put in quite a predicament . Do they let these kid's start for however long they are here, if they are better than the homegrown players that have put in the time and sweat year after year in their program to earn that starting position and mess with team chemistry ? It sure isint the position I would want to be in. The answer to your question is yes it would as far a depth when your talking about the smaller schools 3A-1A from what I read on another site they have around 150 div. 1 athletes that were displaced , thats a lot of talent that needs to find a place to play .

AggieJohn
09-01-2005, 08:03 AM
well my best predicament is that it's going to be at least until playoff time before these people can get back in

Phil C
09-01-2005, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by scrub c

Hey scrub maybe another thing is that it would cause resentment from players that are there that lose their playing time and positions and cause desention on the team. An advantage though unfortunate one for the opponents.

Phil C
09-01-2005, 08:12 AM
It seems there are certain teams that may have the advantage of getting most of the best players from LA. I wonder if they win State there would have to be an asterick on it with maybe the runner up two astericks saying probably state champions if not for LA. :)

MARLINDOGS
09-01-2005, 08:18 AM
This could cause alot of trouble.

BHBrave08
09-01-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by scrub c

i think they (WOS) are recruiting agian.

jk.