PDA

View Full Version : Move-ins from LA

shellman54
08-31-2005, 05:38 PM
Saw on another site where many of the people coming over from Louisiana are enrolling in schools in the southeast part of Texas. Has anyone else heard anything on this?

Old Cardinal
08-31-2005, 06:31 PM
It may be a little premature to determine how this educational issue will play out as the weeks progress. At present the churches in Beaumont area, Mauriceville, Vidor, Orange, Bridge City, Nederland, Port Neches etc: are filling up with refugees. It is interesting in that even RVs that were used in the flee-run from the storm are being hooked to existing electricity at churches and other facilities, to house families.
I would suspect that local schools may have to go to 1/2 days six days a week and the influx of displaced persons will be educated on a short term interim basis at the same locations.
I can keep you informed of the developments but at this time we are engaged in providing food, clothing and shelter on an acute basis. People are being shifted to new available locations to avoid crowding and to better serve their needs.
This is not a short term issue; many people will be displaced for quite a long term basis and may have to seek employment in new locations because their particular employment base has vanished!

Old Green
08-31-2005, 06:43 PM
President said this will take years to make New Orleans Liveable again.

bulldogbark
08-31-2005, 07:31 PM
Boy the UIL was fast on this one was it not?

Released today:

AUSTIN, TX - The University Interscholastic League is issuing the following
statement regarding questions about the varsity athletic eligibility of
students displaced to Texas by Hurricane Katrina:

The school should put all pertinent information in writing to the UIL
office, including where the family is relocating from, and UIL will issue a
written interpretation on eligibility in each specific situation.
Additionally, this will allow UIL to identify the number of displaced
students enrolled in each school.

If the entire family has been relocated to Texas:
Students can immediately participate in sub varsity activities upon
completion of the following forms:
* Pre-participation Physical Examination Form (for those in their first and
third year of high school)
* Medical History Form (for all students)
* Acknowledgement of Rules
* Illegal Steroid Use Parent and Student Notification/Agreement Form

For varsity athletic participation, in addition to the required forms listed
above, the following will apply:

* The provisions of the 15-calendar day rule will apply to students
enrolling after the sixth class day of the school year.
* Students must complete the UIL Varsity Athletic Eligibility Questionnaire
and Sections I and II of the Previous Athletic Participation Form (PAPF).
Both forms are available on the UIL web site. (Section III of the PAPF does
not have to be completed for students displaced by Hurricane Katrina.)
* These Previous Participation forms must be submitted to and signed by the
chairperson of the applicable District Executive Committee prior to varsity
athletic participation.

If only part of the family has been relocated to Texas (other immediate
family members remaining in affected area):
Students can immediately participate in sub varsity activities upon
completion of the following forms:
* Pre-participation Physical Examination Form (for those in their first and
third year of high school)
* Medical History Form (for all students)
* Acknowledgement of Rules
* Illegal Steroid Use Parent and Student Notification/Agreement Form

For varsity athletic participation, in addition to the required forms listed
above, the following will apply:
* Students must apply for a Waiver of Athletic Eligibility_ Parent
Residence Rule. (Students displaced by Hurricane Katrina will be exempt from
waiver filing fees.)
* The provisions of the 15-calendar day rule will apply to students
enrolling after the sixth class day of the school year.
* Students must complete the UIL Varsity Athletic Eligibility Questionnaire
and Sections I and II of the Previous Athletic Participation Form (PAPF).
Both forms are available on the UIL web site. (Section III of the PAPF does
not have to be completed for students displaced by Hurricane Katrina.)
* These Previous Participation forms must be submitted to and signed by the
chairperson of the applicable District Executive Committee prior to varsity
athletic participation.

For any additional questions or further information regarding this matter,
schools should contact the UIL office.

Oh boy sounds like a mess waiting to happen

Bandera YaYa
08-31-2005, 07:32 PM
How do you rebuild a city from the ground up???? It's too overwhelming a thought...... :(

PhiI C
08-31-2005, 08:28 PM
Don't make the counts for next year UIL until they are enrolled and counted properly! :)

Hupernikomen
08-31-2005, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by shellman54
Saw on another site where many of the people coming over from Louisiana are enrolling in schools in the southeast part of Texas. Has anyone else heard anything on this?

heard tale BH has already had quite a few trying to enroll.

eagle.eyes
08-31-2005, 09:14 PM
yea I heard like 150 from K-12th

Bandera YaYa
08-31-2005, 09:16 PM
Gee that was sure fast!!!!

Hupernikomen
08-31-2005, 10:01 PM
if i could take my child to anywhere on the louisana side of texas BH certainly would be a top choice.

bulldogbark
08-31-2005, 10:11 PM
here tell we got about 100 waiting.

West22
08-31-2005, 10:26 PM
IF THERE ARE ANY EXTRAS WE COULD SURE USE THEM IN 8 3A

SintonFan
08-31-2005, 10:42 PM
Let the kids go to the best possible school they can. The families have lost everything so parents and kids should be welcomed into our great State of Texas.:clap:

Ranger05
08-31-2005, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Let the kids go to the best possible school they can. The families have lost everything so parents and kids should be welcomed into our great State of Texas.:clap: i agree 100%

PhiI C
08-31-2005, 11:06 PM
Let the kids go to the best possible school they can. The families have lost everything so parents and kids should be welcomed into our great State of Texas.:clap:

I agree as long as they are counted properly in the UIL school enrollment numbers this year. It wouldn't be fair for a school already with 850 students in 3A to get 400 students this year and still be in 3A over the next 2 years especially with enrollment count this year. I can see why they might want to go to Midland though because if I were in their place I might want to get as far from the coast as I could.

Hupernikomen
08-31-2005, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
I agree as long as they are counted properly in the UIL school enrollment numbers this year. It wouldn't be fair for a school already with 850 students in 3A to get 400 students this year and still be in 3A over the next 2 years especially with enrollment count this year. I can see why they might want to go to Midland though because if I were in their place I might want to get as far from the coast as I could.

Nor is it fair for these unfortunate people to hang around for a few months and leave and bump a school into 4A that wouldn't be 3A if their numbers weren't counted.

Gobbler Fan
08-31-2005, 11:43 PM
So let me get this straight ....you want them to play at your school but you dont want them to count against you ?

If they play they need to count .

Hupernikomen
08-31-2005, 11:52 PM
sure if they play count them. but if 40 move in and that puts you over the limit and 1 or 2 of those 40 or even none of those 40 play it puts you over the limit. be interested to see what UIL does on snapshot day in oct. with these temporary students....very interesting.

SintonFan
08-31-2005, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
So let me get this straight ....you want them to play at your school but you dont want them to count against you ?

If they play they need to count .
Good Cuestion!
If the school gets money based on enrollment then let them count. Otherwise, at the least let them count as a 1/2 a student. It depends on where that student will end up and noone can predict that. No one knows what will happen to these families. Never in the history of this nation has a major city been made refugees as a whole. This early question begs to be answered and the officials' responses will make our regular football debate seem mild I'm sure.:(

scrub c
09-01-2005, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
heard tale BH has already had quite a few trying to enroll.

Yeah, but they were going 4A next alignment despite the displaced families.

I wonder about the "bubble" schools, how will this affect them.

Hupernikomen
09-01-2005, 07:16 AM
Good Cuestion!
If the school gets money based on enrollment then let them count. Otherwise, at the least let them count as a 1/2 a student. It depends on where that student will end up and noone can predict that. No one knows what will happen to these families. Never in the history of this nation has a major city been made refugees as a whole. This early question begs to be answered and the officials' responses will make our regular football debate seem mild I'm sure.:(

Yes for us this is just a bump in the road, but for these folks it is a life changing events. Certainly our prayers are with them. Donations are rolling from everywhere and many schools are collecting nonperishables. Here is our chance to be Texas friendly.

scrub c
09-01-2005, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
Nor is it fair for these unfortunate people to hang around for a few months and leave and bump a school into 4A that wouldn't be 3A if their numbers weren't counted.

I guess that is what I was getting at - just didnt want to come right out and say it.:)

BHBrave08
09-01-2005, 12:26 PM
Our school is gonna be packed starting tomorrow. All of the Lousiania people are regstering today and starting school tomorrow in BH. It is gonna be packed........oh well. We will all be able to adjust.

Hupernikomen
09-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by scrub c
I guess that is what I was getting at - just didnt want to come right out and say it.:)

Dang it I did it again!!!

WOS1
09-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Buna had 18 enroll yesterday.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
09-01-2005, 09:52 PM
If a school has that many that move in and that school count goes over the limit it sould be moved up, if you were 3A, you sould move to 4a. You would not be able to do it this year but you could do it next. Also UIL sould limit the number of Varsity players that could just step right in and play. This could be unfare if a school close to La. would get a ton of top notch players on the same team. This could help a team that would have not been so good to a state campion.
I think the UIL needs to take a better look at this one!
This may get like College, just go out and recruit some football players, for High school.

West22
09-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Street talk has it WOS already has at least 5 top football players lined up from Lousiana

Supertilley
09-02-2005, 12:22 AM
Stree talk will always be street talk. If they cream Nederland this week it will be true... Or will it?

Hawk Fan Izzy
09-02-2005, 01:59 AM
To be honest, who the hell cares?

If a school gets bumped to 4A, if a school wins a championship because of it, who cares?

I think this hurricane should put our priorities back in line. Yes, we love our sports. But win or lose, or whatever happens, millions may never be able to go home.

Think about that for a second and compare it to what the effects on "Texas football" will be...

LogieJoeBean001
09-02-2005, 04:59 AM
I heard from a friend of mine who lived in New Orleans. His new home that he bought a couple of weeks ago is gone!!!! He ran a karate school there....GONE!!! He is in a small western Louisiana town and had to walk five miles to a library to get to a computer to check and send a few e-mails. He said the Aquarium of the Americas broke and the sharks are swimming in the streets. I broke down into tears when I read his e-mail. I sat here in front of my computer and prayed for God's mercy to shine on him, his family and all of those affected by this. He basically said New Orleans is also GONE! Dead bodies are everywhere.

In light of this. I say talking about somebody's football team getting star players and whether or not a school's standing will change in the alignment scheme is very minor compared to the bigger picture....people are suffering tremendously and anything that we can do to eliminate some of this grief we should do without a second thought. I offered him a place to stay at my parent's house in Lufkin, if he so chooses. I don't think any of us can begin to imagine what this is like...I know I can't. Do you really think THEY are thinking about football right now? All I do know is that I think every minute... what if that were me and my two kids in that situation? It makes me shudder to think about it....

I picked up a couple and their llittle dog walking down the side of the road yesterday. I couldn't take them all the way to where they were going, but I took them as far as I could. I know about not picking up strangers, but that little voice inside of me told me that it was the right thing to do. They were so thankful and appreciative. The man only had 60 cents in his pocket, so I gave them a little money, not much because I'm dead dog broke myself right now, but just a little something for them to get something to eat. I always stop and ask myself the question.....What would Jesus do?

Our fellow man, our neighbors are in need...let's help all we can.