PDA

View Full Version : B-R-O-K-E-N SPIRIT

THE BEAR
11-15-2003, 06:18 PM
What do you tell a kid that makes 14 TD'S his freshman year and 2 TD's a game his Sophmore year and then his Junior year when he get's to Varsity he don't even get to run the ball how to keep a positive attitude. Help, suggestions needed. Sad to say but it happened.

LH Panther Mom
11-15-2003, 06:29 PM
Wow, that's a tough one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing there was a Sr. that did the running?

THE BEAR
11-15-2003, 06:37 PM
correct, there was two of them,but also another junior kid to.

Chief Woodman
11-15-2003, 06:41 PM
Early success in life is sometimes cruel. When you discover that you cannot always be the star, you have to figure out just where you fit and maybe even look at things anew. While he is no doubt frustrated, life is not over. Sometimes we put so much emphasis on athletic achievement that we forget...it is just a game. While dreams of stardom might have been dashed, life has more important aspects.
A persons true measure is better found when things do not go the way we want. Anyone can have a good attitude when they are the star. Those who can maintain the good attitude when things do not work out the way they want are the true winners in life.
This will not be the last time things are not easy in life. Give it your best effort and no matter the outcome, be satisfied that you did your best and did not complain because things were not "fair". Truth is, most of life is not fair. Sounds like it is time for the young man to get a early glimpse of who he really is.... one that will be a winner dispite the circumstances, or one that quits when things get tuff. Encourage him to be a winner, not a person with a negitive attitude.

One last thought...what if every player in your town that did not get to be the star of the team quit? You would have no O line, no team, no back ups etc. This young man would have had no one blocking for him and he would have never scored even one TD. Others on your team have already delt with the same fact of not being the star and did not quit. Instead, they found a way to contribute. I have the upmost respect for the players who practice every week with no hope of playing, just so they can participate and contribute. Now hopefully this young man can also see how valuable they are, and how important they are to the team.

Jacket2000
11-15-2003, 06:41 PM
You tell him to pay his dues, get his varsity experience this year, work hard in off season, and turn it on his Sr year.
J2K

THE BEAR
11-15-2003, 06:47 PM
This kid has no quit in him. Sometimes every kid needs some wisdom as to how to face tommorrow.

LH Panther Mom
11-15-2003, 06:47 PM
<small>[ November 15, 2003, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: LH Panther Mom ]</small>