PDA

View Full Version : interesting info i found PHIL C on "texas fight"

AggieJohn
08-31-2005, 08:30 AM
Not only was Texas Fight written to/about A&M, the name was copied from "Farmer's Fight" as explained below..

From a 1952 letter by Colonel Walter S. Hunnicutt on the history of Texas Fight:

"I wrote 'Texas Fight' ... in an attempt to counteract the songs and yells of the Texas Aggies, which were not too complimentary to our Student Body and some of which tended to ridicule 'The Eyes of Texas'.

"Long before I entered The University of Texas in 1909 and until about the year 1928 the Aggies had one of the most effective and awe inspiring songs used by any student body any where any time. 'Farmers Fight' at that time was their sacred College song. ... It was to them what 'The Eyes of Texas' had always been to us. The song was a repetition of the words 'Farmers Fight' sung to the well known bugle call 'Taps' in the same slow tempo as the bugle call is used by the army for lights out at night.

"Returning to Marlin, TX after World War One I resumed my practice of attending most of the Texas foot-ball games, especially those with A. & M. It occurred to me that an effective way to strike back at the Aggies was to write a 'Texas Fight' song in answer to their 'Farmers Fight' using the same bugle call 'Taps' changed to lively march time and having 'Texas' throughout the song instead of 'Farmers'. 'Texas Fight' (Texas Taps) is the result."

granted it was bulletin board talk, i thought it was interesting

Phil C
08-31-2005, 08:39 AM
Interesting information AggieJohn! Thank you.

vet93
08-31-2005, 09:15 AM
Interesting...I never stopped to think that "Texas fight" used the same notes as "taps"....just faster and to a march beat.

AggieJohn
08-31-2005, 09:37 AM
definately interesting

HighSchool Fan
08-31-2005, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
Texas Aggies, which were not too complimentary to our Student Body

even showed a lack of class way back then, i guess some things will never change.

LeonJr
08-31-2005, 10:40 AM
Go Horns!