PDA

View Full Version : Another Gas Thread (Info on Prices)

sahen
08-30-2005, 04:08 PM
Alright guys, I know that many threads have been started to complain about gas prices, but I started this one to pass along some info i got from my dad (works at exxonmobil) that yall might wanna know.....Everyone knows that prices have been shooting skyhigh lately and now we just had this hurricane...The reason prices have been going skyhigh for the most part is that the price per barrel is going up along w/ the fact that the U.S. refineries are not able to keep up w/ the demand for gas and they arent building new refineries (something we could complain about but im not gonna complain on this thread)...Most chemical plants and U.S. oil rigs are along the gulf coast...New Orleans itself had a pretty large ExxonMobil plant shut down due to the hurricane and there are other plants all along the gulf coast (Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana) that are now shut down indefintely (some under 20ft of water)....Due to the high demand most refineries were already working at "full capacity" so they cant refine more gas than they were refining the first place to compensate for the refineries that are shut down....This means prices are gonna go way up for that reason.......It gets worse people, according to my dad Oil Tankers that were trying to come in are now gonna have problems casue some of their ports have been almost destroyed, the biggest port by far is the Houston Ship Channel and luckily that is a-ok since it is in Houston but still the tankers that are going to those other ports will have to go to Houston or other ports and put their oil in places that already have the refineries working at full capacity....this mean prices will go up even more, it cost money to move oil.....Also according to my dad a major oil line up north has gone down, I didnt understand this exactly, but he said it wouldve caused a price hike by itself up half a dollar or so he said.....Basically due to the hurricane and now teh oil line going down up north we are relying on the oil we buy from other countries......And we are only operating on about 75% of our oil refineries....folks we could see 5 dollar per gasoline prices before you know it...My main point is what my dad told me, go fill up your car right now it could go sky high any day.....

by the way you don't have to believe me, and other people that work in the oil indistry may have a different opinion but i thought you guys might want to have some of this info....i know they are already talkin about gas rationing and opening up the national reserve, but we will see what happens....it would never hurt to fill up now just in case, due to the fact that u know the price isnt about to lower anyway....

AP Panther Fan
08-30-2005, 04:25 PM
thanks for the info...already got two vehicles filled and still have one to go. This is scary stuff....:(

LH Panther Mom
08-30-2005, 04:36 PM
Thankfully, I filled up my car this morning, on the way home from dropping kids at school. I paid $2.45/gal. I'm not sure what it is here now, but LH gas doesn't usually go up until the gas truck fills them up.

sahen
08-30-2005, 05:55 PM
jsut saw that the price per barrel of oil is going up too......so thats even more reason for the price of gas to go up....

OnceABucJr
08-30-2005, 06:24 PM
Check out ALL the oil companies' quaterly profits! They haven't made this much $ since the last oil "crisis"! Do you think it is just coincidental that their huge profits come at the same time as the huge jump in oil & gasoline prices? I think not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sahen
08-30-2005, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by OnceABucJr
Check out ALL the oil companies' quaterly profits! They haven't made this much $ since the last oil "crisis"! Do you think it is just coincidental that their huge profits come at the same time as the huge jump in oil & gasoline prices? I think not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we have other threads to complain about that.....im just tryin to give people info that the price is fixing to spike prolly....and oil companies stocks took a hit today...also their profits are going up cause they ahve to charge more for gas due to the high demand and people are still buying it, we complain yet still buy....the oil companies arent completely innocent in this mess but they rnt completely guilty either....

GreenMonster
08-30-2005, 06:40 PM
26 years. It has been 26 years since a refinery has been built inside US borders. No new refineries are currently being built and there are no current plans to build any new refineries. This could get really really bad for a very long time.

Rabbit'93
08-30-2005, 07:18 PM
why build a new refinery when they can just keep charging us more $$$$:eek:

lepfan
08-30-2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
26 years. It has been 26 years since a refinery has been built inside US borders. No new refineries are currently being built and there are no current plans to build any new refineries. This could get really really bad for a very long time.

If they started building a refinery today it would be at least 2-3 years before it would be in operation. I think we are in the for the long haul. :(

SintonFan_inAustin
08-30-2005, 07:24 PM
GAS just went up $ 3.06 in TAft sure it be everywhere over 3 anytime soon

District303aPastPlayer
08-30-2005, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
GAS just went up $ 3.06 in TAft sure it be everywhere over 3 anytime soon

I passed the Sinton Circle K not too long ago... at around 940 or so... and there were, no kidding here, at least 20 cars waiting to fill up.... heres the catch... there are only 4 gas fill stations at the Sinton Circle K...

lepfan
08-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by OnceABucJr

Look at who the major stock holders are in those major oil companies. They too are laughing all the way to the bank. Eye opening!

Leopards,class of 75
08-30-2005, 10:44 PM
I filled up tonight for $2.59, yesterday it was $2.49....story of my life!!! lol If it ever got under$2.00 again, we would think that would be cheap!!!

PhiI C
08-30-2005, 10:56 PM
I still blame it on the Fat Cats!

PhiI C
08-30-2005, 11:16 PM
Not intending to get political but I bet a lot of politicians are glad this isn't an election year. :)

Ranger05
08-31-2005, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Leopards,class of 75
I filled up tonight for $2.59, yesterday it was $2.49....story of my life!!! lol If it ever got under$2.00 again, we would think that would be cheap!!! Yea i remember when it was a big deal when it passed $2

exbccards76'smom
08-31-2005, 04:57 AM
Monday gas was $2.45a gallon in Bridge City. Yesterday morning, it had already jumped to $2.59 at a Conoco here. It was $2.54 at the Mobil where I filled up. Even the no name brand store was $2.59. I would never have dreamed of seeing prices like this here.

pirate44
08-31-2005, 06:10 AM
when i drove home from work yesterday at 6:30 i saw the news cameras at the Sinton circle K. i find it funny how all those cars lined up are wasting gas, time and comfort just to save 2 bucks on a fill-up. :rolleyes:

LH Panther Mom
08-31-2005, 06:31 AM
:rolleyes: I just got a CNN breaking news email - oil is being released from petroleum reserves to help refiners affected by Hurricane Katrina. :rolleyes: If we have reserves, why in the heck is the price so outrageous. :(

MARLINDOGS
08-31-2005, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:rolleyes: I just got a CNN breaking news email - oil is being released from petroleum reserves to help refiners affected by Hurricane Katrina. :rolleyes: If we have reserves, why in the heck is the price so outrageous. :( :thinking: I wonder who is really getting the money off of this.

piratebg
08-31-2005, 07:07 AM
Woke this morning and drove from Sinton to Portland. Every gas station on the way was at 2.43-2.49 from Sinton to Gregory at around 600am. In Portland the gas has jumped to 2.71 and is even higher in Corpus.

pirate44
08-31-2005, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
Woke this morning and drove from Sinton to Portland. Every gas station on the way was at 2.43-2.49 from Sinton to Gregory at around 600am. In Portland the gas has jumped to 2.71 and is even higher in Corpus.
circle k in Sinton was 2.99. wow

piratebg
08-31-2005, 07:11 AM
Well..........that sucks.

99IHSMustang
08-31-2005, 07:14 AM
:rolleyes: I just got a CNN breaking news email - oil is being released from petroleum reserves to help refiners affected by Hurricane Katrina. :rolleyes: If we have reserves, why in the heck is the price so outrageous. :(

Only 7% of the oil we use is actually from our reserves. The res of it that is used is from others countries. The Man is sticking it to us!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

spiveyrat
08-31-2005, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
when i drove home from work yesterday at 6:30 i saw the news cameras at the Sinton circle K. i find it funny how all those cars lined up are wasting gas, time and comfort just to save 2 bucks on a fill-up. :rolleyes:

2 bucks here and 2 bucks there adds up over time.

pirate44
08-31-2005, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
2 bucks here and 2 bucks there adds up over time.
actually i thought it was going up 10 cents. when it was $3 per gallon this morning i began to understand why the long line. in odem 7 miles away it was still 2.50

spiveyrat
08-31-2005, 07:38 AM
While we're all fuming about gas prices, use some of that energy to write or call your Congressmen. One idea you could give them is to cut the amount of blends of gasoline down to maybe 2 or 3. If refineries could concentrate on making fewer blends, they could put more gas out in the market.

http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/

gobbler grad
08-31-2005, 07:38 AM
2.99 in Victoria this morning...:eek: :mad: ...SUCH IS LIFE...

LH Panther Mom
08-31-2005, 07:43 AM
Thankfully, I filled up my car this morning, on the way home from dropping kids at school. I paid $2.45/gal. I'm not sure what it is here now, but LH gas doesn't usually go up until the gas truck fills them up.

The same convenience store I bought gas yesterday is now $2.69/gallon. :eek: :eek: A couple of others I noticed: 1) was $2.46, now $2.59 and 2) was $2.49, now $2.54. :thinking:

99IHSMustang
08-31-2005, 07:49 AM
While we're all fuming about gas prices, use some of that energy to write or call your Congressmen. One idea you could give them is to cut the amount of blends of gasoline down to maybe 2 or 3. If refineries could concentrate on making fewer blends, they could put more gas out in the market.

That's a valid idea, besides cutting down the number of blends we should also start using ethanol-based fuels as well. Most Big Three cars made since the early 90's are equipped to take an 85% gasoline 15% ethanol mix fuel, which is around 50 cents cheaper. We have ethanol coming out of our ears we have so much, if there was more of a demand for the stuff, they would have no choice but to supply it. It all goes back to supply and demand, and as far as writing our Congressmen-that's a good idea, as long as EVERYONE does it. They listen to the majority, and the majority isn't saying anything to them. I guess it's time to start a "write your Congressmen" campaign.

Phil C
08-31-2005, 08:19 AM

You got a good point as usual spi! Too bad it isn't an election year! They would sure get the message then! In fact I bet they would have already done something about it with the Fat Cats.

Phil C
08-31-2005, 08:21 AM
It was still $2.49 at the Shamrock and Exxon in Sinton but $2.99 at the CITGO. It is only a mater of time before they both go up to because how goes CITGO in Sinton so goes the rest. It will probably be up at those stations very soon. I had 3/4 of a tank but I went on ahead and put $10 more this morning just to get it full since I was right there.

99IHSMustang
08-31-2005, 08:28 AM
Once gas prices go past $3.50 and I am more than sure that it will… they will drop it to $2.90 or a little lower so they can make us think “wow gas is pretty cheap now” Brainwashing anyone?… lol

Phil C
08-31-2005, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by 99IHSMustang
Once gas prices go past $3.50 and I am more than sure that it will… they will drop it to $2.90 or a little lower so they can make us think “wow gas is pretty cheap now” Brainwashing anyone?… lol

I agree 99! The Fat Cats are going to probably raise it to $4 so $3 will seem cheap. They did that during the so called gas shortages in the 70s even though it was on a smaller scale. The Fat Cats get rich again.

Phil C
08-31-2005, 08:33 AM
We've been asked to open our wallets to Louisiana and Mississippi and I wish we could but how can we when the Fat Cats has raised gasoline prices so high that we can't afford to. The Fat Cats get rich by working economic hardships on the ordinary working folks that are mainly the ones that support and in some cases die for this country.

Pardon my cynicism everyone.

cdlvj
08-31-2005, 09:16 AM
Well the big mistake was a couple of Novembers ago!

LH Panther Mom
08-31-2005, 10:31 AM
was $2.46, now $2.59

The same station 3 hrs later is now $2.79. :eek: :eek:

Phil C
08-31-2005, 10:32 AM
Exxon and Diamond Shamrock in Sinton have now followed CITGO and went up to $2.999.

pirate4state
08-31-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Exxon and Diamond Shamrock in Sinton have now followed CITGO and went up to $2.999. :weeping:

SintonFan
08-31-2005, 11:10 AM
I filled up at the truckstop yesterday and payed 2.59. No lines and might have saved a few bucks.:kiss:

spiveyrat
08-31-2005, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by cdlvj

Are you referring to an election?

SintonFan
08-31-2005, 11:24 AM
Folks need to realize that if the price wouldn't go up there would shortages, like 1979 or worse. China, with goverment price controls is dealing with it right now. It's how the market works not talk about evil oil execs or elected officials.:hand:

SintonFan_inAustin
08-31-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Folks need to realize that if the price wouldn't go up there would shortages, like 1979 or worse. China, with goverment price controls is dealing with it right now. It's how the market works not talk about evil oil execs or elected officials.:hand:

yes imagine not being able to get gas, because the demand would be there but not the supply, Then u be willing to pay whatever it takes to run ur vechile.

SintonFan_inAustin
08-31-2005, 11:59 AM
i was already spending in a avg of 175.00 a week in gas, now im looking having to spend around 225 to 250 a week in gas. im a Field Service Tech and cover Jim Wells, Nuecces, San Pat, Live Oak and Aransas counties. yes i do get some per deim and mileage to cover this crappy driving:D

pirate44
08-31-2005, 12:00 PM
Are you referring to an election?
uh oh. here we go. nice knowing ya "another gas thread". off to locked thread heaven you go.

LeonJr
08-31-2005, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
Not intending to get political but I bet a lot of politicians are glad this isn't an election year. :)

Oh it's true it's dam$ true!

AggieJohn
08-31-2005, 01:00 PM
i find it ironic that i have 2.41 in gas in my car right now, and the next time i fill up it will be 3.06...a 65 cent difference, now normally it would take 5 years or so to see that big of an increase but i'm seeing it over the next few days

pirate44
08-31-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
i find it ironic that i have 2.41 in gas in my car right now, and the next time i fill up it will be 3.06...a 65 cent difference, now normally it would take 5 years or so to see that big of an increase but i'm seeing it over the next few days
might be worth siphoning it out of your tank and selling it for a profit.

99IHSMustang
08-31-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
yes imagine not being able to get gas, because the demand would be there but not the supply, Then u be willing to pay whatever it takes to run ur vechile.

We only use 7% of our own oil supply… how would we not have enough? The supply is there we just use other countries oil instead of ours. Do you actually think that the prices for oil were going be raised during election year??? Hell no…. it was all planned. :mad: :mad:

Phil C
08-31-2005, 02:20 PM
We only use 7% of our own oil supply… how would we not have enough? The supply is there we just use other countries oil instead of ours. Do you actually think that the prices for oil were going be raised during election year??? Hell no…. it was all planned. :mad: :mad:

Don't fight the hig gasoline prices folks! Just buy stock! :D

99IHSMustang
08-31-2005, 02:24 PM
"Americans" are not going to consume any fewer barrels of oil a day no matter how much those barrels cost them, we are a nation of gas hungry-truck proud people. This will not change with the fluctuation in gas prices, the only people it will affect are poor to middle class people who can't afford to have 15-20% of there income going toward gas.

AggieJohn
08-31-2005, 02:26 PM
"Americans" are not going to consume any fewer barrels of oil a day no matter how much those barrels cost them, we are a nation of gas hungry-truck proud people. This will not change with the fluctuation in gas prices, the only people it will affect are poor to middle class people who can't afford to have 15-20% of there income going toward gas.

this is true, watch it though 99, don't get to political

99IHSMustang
08-31-2005, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
this is true, watch it though 99, don't get to political

Yeah you are right…. I just needed to vent some frustration. I am good now. :D

spiveyrat
08-31-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
uh oh. here we go. nice knowing ya "another gas thread". off to locked thread heaven you go.

There's plenty of others! :D ;)

sahen
08-31-2005, 05:35 PM
just to let people know we dont use but 7% of the reserve because we keep it in case we get in a bad situation military wise....if we ran outa oil in the reserve then our military would be screwed....

lepfan
08-31-2005, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by cdlvj

:clap: :clap: :clap: