PDA

View Full Version : 21-3a - Don't Take Newton Lightly

Timberwolve
08-16-2001, 10:41 AM
Been reading some posts from 3aroy...my view of 21-3a differs a bit and I do have some comments. First off, you bet...Bridge City beat Newton last year IN Newton. However, something that 3aroy and a few other posters seem to forget is simply that Newton lost 5 All-District players before district play even began! Malcolm Isom, their quarterback, was lost to ACL injury in their first scrimmage. All-District players Wesley Forward (DE) and Elton Jarrel (CT)went down along with 2 other outstanding players. I'm not making excuses, but you guys simply must look at the facts. When these state ranked players went to the sidelines, a sophomore 1st year letter quarterback came on line, Logan Greer. A sophomore 1st year letter center came on line, Max Karpel. A sophomore 1st year letter linebacker came on line, Chris Stapp, as well as a couple of freshmen. And how far did Newton go with rookies? Well, anyone who saw the films of the Marlin game knows Newton played strong...no excuses just facts. You guys are talking about all these teams "going into district play undefeated". Give me a break. Look over Newton's non-district schedule! Some coaches would rather play a gravytrain non-district schedule so, I guess, their boys can get the feeling of being winners. For years Newton and Corrigan as well as others would rather play teams that can challenge their players then be will prepared for district play. Final comment...Even if Newton goes 0-5 (doubtful) in non-district play, 11-5 still takes the trophy. About the only comment I agree with 3aroy is his outlook for 21-3a post season play. Newton, Bridge City and Kirbyville should lead the way.

3Aroy
08-24-2001, 04:40 PM
Hey Timberwolve...
I have no idea why, but this is the first time i have read this post! lol. I get on here everyday but I seem to look over it! Im loopy like that!
I agree with what you said, but where have you been? I have said that before! lol. You must be pretty new?!?!?!... Are you from Newton or something? I doubt Newton will go 0-5 also... they are my pick out of 3A... I hope they go undefeated through the state game. They just cant take teams like Bridge City lightly.
-Roy

Timberwolve
08-27-2001, 01:06 AM
Roy, thanks for the reply. No, I'm not from Newton...I live in the Golden Triangle area. I will say that I have followed several 3-A teams for years...lot's of excitement in that bracket as these boys really show heart since, because of their enrollments, usually have to play both ways. I'm not taking away from 5-A and 4-A, it's just more exciting for me to watch 3-A through 1-A. Also, I have been a fan of Newton for years. That town has got spirit and their Coaching staff just knows how to get the boys to perform beyond each players' perseaved abilities. I dropped a post earlier tonight with a report from a great friend (and ex-coach) who wanted to get out of town for the evening and head to Newton in my absence.

Timberwolve