PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans

KingRob
08-30-2005, 11:31 AM
New Orleans and the surrounding area got slammed. I don't understand why some people decide to ride out these storms. I would've headed for hills asap.

pirate44
08-30-2005, 12:07 PM
here's my take:
it's the same reason people dont have life insurance or havent made out a will. by doing so, in their minds, they are admitting something unfortunate will happen. even though these things are innevitable, putting it off means not having to think of something tragic.

spiveyrat
08-30-2005, 12:18 PM
People don't think it will happen to them.

IHStangFan
08-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
here's my take:
it's the same reason people dont have life insurance or havent made out a will. by doing so, in their minds, they are admitting something unfortunate will happen. even though these things are innevitable, putting it off means not having to think of something tragic. +1, i agree 100%

ej2525
08-30-2005, 01:57 PM
I work in the oil & gas business and you haven't even seen the worst parts of this storm damage yet. We had pilots do fly overs this morning to access damages south of New Orleans. Why do you not hear about the areas south of New Orleans in Plaquemines & Lafourche Parishes? You can't get there other than by air. I have some pictures and descriptions of the area & it is gruesome!

Phil C
08-30-2005, 02:17 PM
The looters are also now in action. It is their payback for being oppressed by society.

AggieJohn
08-30-2005, 02:18 PM

IHStangFan
08-30-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
The looters are also now in action. It is their payback for being oppressed by society. :rolleyes: i think there should be some sorta law in place nationwide that states in times like these, when looters are on the loose, you should be able to protect your property and family by any means possible...cause i know for one, that if someone was in the process of looting in my neighborhood, he'd be dodging bullets. "how bad do you REALLY want that DVD player pal?"

Phil C
08-30-2005, 02:30 PM
During the Earthquake in 1906 San Francisco they shot looters.

pirate4state
08-30-2005, 02:32 PM
During the Earthquake in 1906 San Francisco they shot looters. :D You never cease to amaze me!!! :D

IHStangFan
08-30-2005, 02:32 PM
During the Earthquake in 1906 San Francisco they shot looters. thats what i'm talkin about.....as a society we've become too "PC" to allow this to happen anymore....when in reality its the most effective way to keep it under control. i'm sure if i were to shoot someone looting from me...i'd in some way have violated their rights :rolleyes:

we're goin to hell in a handbasket faster than Don Garlits in SwampRat 3 goin down a 1/4 mile.

Phil C
08-30-2005, 02:33 PM
Here is news link.
I don't know if the link will work but they are urging Americans to loosen up your wallets for flood victims.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/usweatheraid;_ylt=AvV427Lk0eQdZ8OEExvG_86s0NUE;_yl u=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

big daddy russ
08-30-2005, 05:08 PM
The looters are also now in action. It is their payback for being oppressed by society.
ROFLMAO

pirate44
08-31-2005, 06:06 AM
im watching news footage of the storm struck area and it makes me sick at my stomach. terrible damage. :(

MARLINDOGS
08-31-2005, 06:10 AM
my prayers are with them.

spiveyrat
08-31-2005, 07:58 AM

I heard this or read this quote yesterday from somewhere (not here). Amazing mentality, isn't it?

Old Green
08-31-2005, 08:07 AM
I'm praying for the unfortunate residents of that area. My heart is so heavy looking at the devastation that was wreaked on them. I keep thinking of the flood of 1998 that covered half of Cuero. It is something you never can get out of your mind.

DawgFan91
08-31-2005, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by KingRob
New Orleans and the surrounding area got slammed. I don't understand why some people decide to ride out these storms. I would've headed for hills asap.

I think a lot of the problem with the people in New Orleans is not having the means to get out. I saw one couple that was trying to get out but their car broke down. Others don't have cars and don't have the finances to go anywhere. It's a shame.

Old Green
08-31-2005, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by DawgFan91
I think a lot of the problem with the people in New Orleans is not having the means to get out. I saw one couple that was trying to get out but their car broke down. Others don't have cars and don't have the finances to go anywhere. It's a shame. I read that too DawgFan91. Alot of the residents of New Orleans don't have cars so they were stuck there.

spiveyrat
08-31-2005, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
I heard this or read this quote yesterday from somewhere (not here). Amazing mentality, isn't it?

Here's the article the quote is from.

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/nation/12520176.htm

The tourist from Philly who said that they thought New Orleans was more "sophisticated" than that is just fooling themselves if they think Philly (or anywhere else) wouldn't be just the same if a similar disaster befell them. I'm not condoning looting. Just pointing out their short-sightedness.