PDA

View Full Version : Question for Ranger Mom?

Johnny Moxen
08-30-2005, 11:29 AM
Just curious as to what Wylie should expect to see from Midland Greenwood this Friday Night? I am talking from a "fans perspective" of someone sitting in the crowd watching the game. What does Midland Greenwood offer on offense, defense or any players that we should keep our eyes on?

Also, I'd be curious once Midland Greenwood (one of the only teams that has the opportunity to play the top three teams from district 4-3A) plays Wylie, Sweetwater and Snyder as to what your "perspective" is on each of the teams mentioned above and possibly make and predictions you'd feel comfortable making.

Ranger Mom
08-30-2005, 11:40 AM
You are talking to the wrong Ranger Fan here. Maybe GWOOD or Ranger05 could give you a bit more perspective.

Frankly, I am terrified.....of all 3 of those teams! When we played Abilene Wylie last season....we hung with them for the first half....I think the score was 7-0 .... but our defense just wore down.

We were able to score against Sweetwater pretty well, but they scored twice as much as we did......I think that score was 52-25 or something like that.

We played really well against Snyder the first time....It think 4 points separated us.......22-26....or something like that.

Okay....now that I have recapped last season and refreshed my own memory.....based on what I have seen so far, (and that is very little) I don't see us hanging with those teams like we did last year.

I could be wrong and I certainly hope that I am. I think a new coach, new system and all the kinks that have to be worked out will slow us down this season.

My personal "players to watch" are RB Justin Sebree, WR Michael Washington, FB Lane Flowers......and on the line, Dean Smith is gonna be a handful!!

GWOOD
08-30-2005, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

When we played Abilene Wylie last season....we hung with them for the first half....I think the score was 7-0 .... but our defense just wore down.

I look for the same kind of game as last year but not as bad. We have some talent in the lineup and these kids are a typical Greenwood bunch--they will come to the game mentally tough, fully expecting an upset victory. My biggest concern is our lack of depth. Injuries like we had two seasons ago would kill us this year. Many are predicting a lopsided victory. I see a close game with Wylie wearing us down and pulling away in the 4th quarter.

Wylie, Sweetwater, and Snyder all seem stronger than last year but we had some big question marks going into the first three games last year. Our starting QB went down with a broken leg in a scrimmage game and without a true backup QB, we had two weeks to determine who would be our QB for the year. In the game against Wylie last year, three quarterbacks split time. Our first two games were basically "tryouts" to determine who would be the starting QB! Eventually, the freshman Wilber, who was supposed to be quarterbacking the JV last year, won the job. Now he is back as a sophomore. He gained some valuable experience last year. What I like about him best is his mental toughness and competitiveness. I think we do better than last year in these first three games because we don't have to deal with the morale killer of trying to decide which inexperieced QB will lead us this year.

Don't have a clue what Coach Taylor will do offensively in the game. He keeps saying that his teams will look a lot like Purser's teams, which would be run, run, run, and sneak a pass in here and there when they are not expecting it. These first four games (Wylie, Sweetwater, Snyder, 4A Andrews) will put us through the test and prepare us for district if we can escape with few injuries.

My personal "players to watch" are RB Justin Sebree, WR Michael Washington, FB Lane Flowers......and on the line, Dean Smith is gonna be a handful!!

Rangermom is right on target. I also look for MLB/TE David Hill to be a force to be reckoned with on both sides of the ball.

Ranger Mom
08-30-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD

Rangermom is right on target. I also look for MLB/TE David Hill to be a force to be reckoned with on both sides of the ball.

Thank you!!! I knew I was forgetting someone, but didn't have my roster in front of me.....because it is on my computer that I STILL HAVEN'T GOT BACK!!!!!!!:mad:

Ranger05
08-30-2005, 04:42 PM
The Offensive line is very young with only 1 sr. starting. I still believe that Greenwood is 1 year away from returning back to making deep runs in the playoffs. They have some good athletes in the younger classes but the current class is lacking the athletes of the past. Half of there class quit and if i remember right they should only have about 10 sr.'s. But the seniors who have stuck it out are all good players and there should be some good senior leadership this year. Another stat about this years greenwood team is we are extremely small, the starting center Sterling Satterfield told me saturday night that they only have 6 players over 6'0 tall and 6 players over 200 LBS