PDA

View Full Version : An Aggie Historical Tradition

PhiI C
08-29-2005, 07:57 PM
Even a UT fan like myself for many years must stand in awe of the great tradition and history of the Aggie bonfire for it's purpose and the great Aggie spirit that it symbolizes.

http://www.tamu.edu/00/tamu-images/tamu-images/fbonfire.jpg

CHS_CG
08-29-2005, 08:06 PM
That is a beautiful sight right there!

tap_tx_sinton
08-29-2005, 08:10 PM
Now thats how you Gitter Done!!!

Gobbla2001
08-29-2005, 08:16 PM
Not an aggie fan myself, but when you see the stuff A&M does traditionally, it makes you wish Cuero was buring some stuff for games...

Bandera YaYa
08-29-2005, 08:30 PM
Oh no.......let's not open up that can of worms again...... :rolleyes:

PhiI C
08-29-2005, 09:00 PM
One great year the Aggies had was 1967 which was a most unusual year. The Aggies hadn't been to a bowl game in ten years when they went to the Gator Bowl in 1957 and had not been to the Cotton Bowl in 26 years. The year before the Aggies had a losing season at 4 - 5 - 1. They didn't start out too good in 1967. The first game was rough on the Aggies as they scored what they thought would win the game with 29 seconds left and lead 17 to 13 but SMU's great Jerry Levias ran a kickoff back to the 50 and on the next play caught a pass at the Aggie 10 and then caught the winning pass with 6 seconds left in the game to win it 20 to 13. Then the Aggies lost four more close games to Purdue 20 to 24, LSU 17 to 6 and Florida State 18 to 19. Now the Aggies were 0-4 but the close games were about to go their way. Edd Haggert was the Aggie Quarterback and his favorite receiver was Bob Long. Buster Adamie a Freer HS ex was a surprise in the spring for the Aggies as a sophomore and was the starting linebacker. The next game was a conference game against Texas Tech in Lubbock and if the Aggies lost they probably couldn't win the conference since at that time no team had won the conference with more than one loss. Buster Adamie made an interception against Tech which turned out later to be significant. Texas Tech was ahead 24 to 21 when Edd completed a pass to Long with three seconds left. Coach Stallins knew that a tie would most likely end their chance for a championship (SMU who had beat them was later to lose some games to give the Aggies the chance to get it). Edd took the snap but a Tech player was offside and red flag flew. He knew he would get another chance so he just took off running and ran around until he finally ran into the end zone giving the Aggies the big win with no time left 28 to 24.
The games started to go the Aggies way. They beat TCU next 20 to 0 then Baylor 21 to 3. Arkansas was having an off year and the Aggies won 33 to 21. Next the Aggies beat Rice 18 to 3 to set up the shootout with Texas. Texas had two conference loses but could have tied the Aggies with a win and gone to the Cotton Bowl. In a great game the Aggies were ahead 3 to 0 when the Longhorns scored to lead 7 to 3. The Aggies responded with a long td pass to Bob Long to take the lead 10 to 7. With time running out Texas started a drive but Adamie made another key interception to win the game for the Aggies and the Southwest Conference and the right to the Cotton Bowl to face No. 8 ranked Alabama whose Coach Paul Bryant had Coached the Aggie Coach Gene Stallings at A&M about 11 years earliers. The Aggies pulled off the win 20 to 16 with Buster Adamie again making a key interception.
The next year with the same team the Aggies had a 3 - 7 losing record. I think back on it and even though they had the same team the close games in 66 and 68 went against the Aggies those years. The 67 team was a team that would make the big play (both on offense and defense) that would win games. That didn't happen in 66 or 68. Plus the rise in 1968 of Arkansas and Texas back into powers also was a factor.
But for one year the Aggies were winners. My good friend Mr. Harold Cowley that I have told you about always would say for many years after UT won a game "Wait till Next Year." When I saw him after the game I told him "Wait till Next Year." He was amuzed. He deserved that joy though that day. It was a while before it would come back again.

pirate44
08-29-2005, 09:10 PM
thats great photo posting if ever i saw it. way to go Phil C :clap:

PhiI C
08-29-2005, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
thats great photo posting if ever i saw it. way to go Phil C :clap:

Thank you for the detail on how to do it 44 and to 66 for the last tip that got me over the edge.

sahen
08-29-2005, 10:56 PM
so ur saying the aggies have had streaks where they didnt go to a bowl game in 10 years too??? maybe they can understand where baylor is coming from...

Phil C
08-30-2005, 08:11 AM
That is right sahen. Another historical note is that in 1963 the Aggie bonfire had been a tradition for years before the Texas vs Texas A&M Game but they cancelled it that year out of respect for President Kennedy who had been assassinated the week before. A great gesture by the Aggies for our fallen President.

bmbf_06
08-30-2005, 04:02 PM
i really wish they'd start doing the bonfire again! i miss it!!

AggieJohn
08-30-2005, 04:35 PM
contrary to popular belief they still do bonfire, it his housed off campus though, it has no affiliation with texas a&m, it is never as big as it used to be, no yell leaders or football players are allowed to attend......from what i've been told the previous years yell leaders come in and lead yell

CHS_CG
08-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
contrary to popular belief they still do bonfire, it his housed off campus though, it has no affiliation with texas a&m, it is never as big as it used to be, no yell leaders or football players are allowed to attend......from what i've been told the previous years yell leaders come in and lead yell

I know last year it was at Hot Rod Hill which is a dirt track that local and not so local stock car owners come race at (my best friends dad included) I do not know about old yell leaders coming in for off campus bonfires bc I have not attended one.