PDA

View Full Version : Chris Hart, ask and you shall recieve

HighSchool Fan
08-29-2005, 05:41 PM
Falcons fizzle in the Sizzle
By JIM SEIMAS
Sentinel staff writer
GAINESVILLE, Texas – Thirty-four seconds. Scotts Valley High’s football team didn’t fly halfway across the country to see the winning touchdown scored in 34 seconds.

For good measure, host Gainesville, the 2003 3-A state champion currently ranked third in Texas in one poll and 12th in another, added several more scores in a 33-0 win over the Falcons in the teams’ season-opener – dubbed the Sizzle Bowl – in front of an estimated 5,000 fans Friday night.

Running back Michael Miller scored on a 3-yard run on Gainesville’s second play from scrimmage. The Falcons received the opening kickoff, but fumbled away the ball on their first offensive play. The Leopards needed to advance the ball just 12 yards for their first touchdown.

"First-game jitters," Falcons coach Louie Walters said. "We have a young quarterback. I thought he did a great job against the No.3 team in Texas. The first half we played good defense. We gave them two touchdowns on a short field. Not to take anything from Gainesville. They’re a quality team."

Not only was it Scotts Valley’s first game, but first live action against an opponent. Gainesville entered the contest having competed in three scrimmages.

"They were definitely worthy opponents," Leopards quarterback Jacob West said. "They’re big, had speed and played hard. We just came out with the edge. Our offensive line is awesome. They came up big."

It was the seventh-ever game to pit high schools from California and Texas.

Advertisement

"It was a great trip for our kids," Walters said. "It’s not like we came to Texas and played a patsy. I’m proud of our defense."

Gainesville, which returns 29 players from last season, had many stars and enough big plays to post a deceptively lopsided final score.

West, running the Leopards’ single-back offense out of a shotgun formation for much of the evening, ran for an 8-yard touchdown late in the first quarter after he took control of the offense at Scotts Valley’s 25-yard line. That score helped put Gainesville up 16-0, as the teams played a scoreless second quarter.

"We just have to build on this," Falcons junior quarterback Isaac Dawid said. "We made some stupid mistakes."

Offensively, Scotts Valley struggled. The Falcons were held to 77 yards rushing on 36 carries. Running backs Tony Lopez and Russell Jenkins each ran for 34 yards.

Dawid, sent to the sidelines briefly in the second quarter after taking a helmet to his left elbow, completed 7 of 12 passes for 21 yards.

For much of the first half and the majority of the game, Gainesville owned better field position and took advantage of it.

In the second half the Leopards had some big plays. Back-up quarterback Colin Sikes completed a 40-yard scoring pass to Yusef Stevenson in the third quarter, making good on another Falcons turnover.

Scotts Valley finished with three fumbles and two turnovers.

Gainesville committed two turnovers and had three touchdowns brought back on penalties.

Falcons defensive back Ryan Fontana stripped West at the goal line in the third quarter and returned the fumble 49 yards to midfield, but the Falcons fumbled the ball away on the next play.

"We all weren’t on the same page, including myself," Lopez said. "They’re just small mistakes."

How long will it take to get fixed?

"In the jamboree, it’s on!" he said. "I don’t think we were there mentally. Physically, we were there."

The hot and humid weather didn’t seem to affect the Falcons, Gainesville loaned the Falcons a giant water cooler for their sidelines.

Gainesville added a 27-yard field goal from Steven Arenas and a 28-yard interception return for a touchdown by Casey Martin in the fourth quarter for the final score.

The Leopards finished 117 yards passing and 77 rushing on 28 carries.

Falcons linebacker Zack Trap recorded two and half sacks.

"We’re far from the true Scotts Valley," Jenkins said. "In general, not just offense."

Chris Hart
08-29-2005, 08:56 PM
Why thank you HSF. You could catch the homerism in there, but I've seen alot worse. At least he did give Gainesville their props a few times. If he was going to make mention of the short fields Gainesville took advantage of, he should have made CLEAR mention of Gainesville playing subs in the second half, lol. Oh well, I don't blame him, I would do the same thing. Thanks for the article...

Leopards,class of 75
08-29-2005, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the info. Highschoolfan. The think the Leopards will get better by the week. They must work on getting less yellow flags.