PDA

View Full Version : Bevo Beat

pirate4state
08-29-2005, 02:43 PM
Longhorns set depth chart for opener
By John Bridges | Monday, August 29, 2005, 12:15 PM

Surprises were nowhere to be found when Mack Brown released his depth chart Monday, but it did put into writing some personnel matters that had been evolving all month.

Selvin Young goes into Saturday’s opener as the starter at tailback after missing all but two games last year with an ankle injury and missing spring drills because of academic ineligibility.

On the depth chart, Young is backed up by two freshmen — Jamaal Charles and Henry Melton. But in reality, his backup will be Ramonce Taylor. The explosive Taylor will line up as flanker, split end and tailback Saturday night. Should Young go down with an injury, Taylor would move to tailback full-time, Brown said.

Elsewhere on the Longhorn depth chart:

— Brian Carter and Limas Sweed are the starting receivers, although Brown made it clear that four or five others also will see time at those spots. Don’t count on Jordan Shipley, the twice-injured star out of Burnet, to be among them; Brown says his status for this week isn’t certain. :( I hope he gets better soon!!

— Frank Okam is listed as the starter alongside Rod Wright at defensive tackle, but Brown foresees a three-man rotation including Larry Dibbles.

— Ahmard Hall will start at fullback.

— Richmond McGee will handle punts, field goals and kickoffs.

IHStangFan
08-29-2005, 02:45 PM
(shakes head) i just dont see how UT is ranked 2 in the preseason polls. i think theyre gonna be lucky to finish in the top 15 by the end of the season.

pirate4state
08-29-2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
(shakes head) i just dont see how UT is ranked 2 in the preseason polls. i think theyre gonna be lucky to finish in the top 15 by the end of the season. Oh no!! http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/lisaann/traurig068.gif :doh:

IHStangFan
08-29-2005, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Oh no!! http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/lisaann/traurig068.gif :doh: okay okay....maybe higher than 15...but they ...i repeat they are NOT national champ material. they MAY get past OU this year only because OU is rebuilding, but if A&M DOESNT beat them...it'll be close..and Tech might have their number as well...and thats just in the Big 12.....they have their hands full w/ Ohio State soon......if they are able to pull off a win there...i MIGHT start thinking about reversing what ive said here.

HighSchool Fan
08-29-2005, 02:50 PM
(shakes head) i just dont see how UT is ranked 2 in the preseason polls. i think theyre gonna be lucky to finish in the top 15 by the end of the season.

let's see, they have vince young, a faster rb in selvyn young, more experience at WR, and a faster more experienced D, plus a cupcake schedule besides Ohio St and OU.

nexfan
08-29-2005, 02:52 PM
I think they will beat Oklahoma and lose to A&M.

IHStangFan
08-29-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
let's see, they have vince young, a faster rb in selvyn young, more experience at WR, and a faster more experienced D, plus a cupcake schedule besides Ohio St and OU. well, the cupcake schedule will be taken into account when the final rankings and bowl bids hit the scene.....second, youll never convince me that Vince Young is a great QB...hes a great athelete, but not a great QB. He can run, but his decision making skills and pass accuracy are suspect. Selvin Young is not proven......and his backups are both rookies.....so i stand by what i said.....they are not national champ material.

HighSchool Fan
08-29-2005, 03:02 PM
well, the cupcake schedule will be taken into account when the final rankings and bowl bids hit the scene.....second, youll never convince me that Vince Young is a great QB...hes a great athelete, but not a great QB. He can run, but his decision making skills and pass accuracy are suspect. Selvin Young is not proven......and his backups are both rookies.....so i stand by what i said.....they are not national champ material.

strength of schedule doesn't matter in the polls anymore, and a&m is only close if UT turns the ball over 3 or 4 times to a&m's 0 turn overs.

IHStangFan
08-29-2005, 03:04 PM
strength of schedule doesn't matter in the polls anymore, and a&m is only close if UT turns the ball over 3 or 4 times to a&m's 0 turn overs. i guess we'll see.

KTJ
08-29-2005, 03:50 PM
i guess we'll see.

You've degraded our team and built up yours and after 4 posts you have yet to tell us WHY UT isn't deserving of their ranking, poll position, or another birth to the Rose Bowl. That's fine if because you're an Aggie that you don't think UT can do well, but please, back it up with some information as to why we/they won't and tell us why we won't even be in the top 15 after the season is over.

Also, how do we have a weak schedule? It's no more weaker than playing Texas State and Clemson.

p4State, I too hope Shipley sees some playing time this year. It would be a shame not to get him on the field.

IHStangFan
08-29-2005, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
You've degraded our team and built up yours and after 4 posts you have yet to tell us WHY UT isn't deserving of their ranking, poll position, or another birth to the Rose Bowl. That's fine if because you're an Aggie that you don't think UT can do well, but please, back it up with some information as to why we/they won't and tell us why we won't even be in the top 15 after the season is over.

Also, how do we have a weak schedule? It's no more weaker than playing Texas State and Clemson.

p4State, I too hope Shipley sees some playing time this year. It would be a shame not to get him on the field. LOL...year after year its the same outa the UT faithful......and again, i wont have to "back ANYTHING up" as UT will prove me right as they do every year.....but yet..while the Horns havent improved their situation in several seasons having similar seasons for the past 5 yrs (which start out w/ the UT nation claiming "this is our year, OU is goin down...national champs. etc" every year, only to be smoked by OU and BEARLY make the top 10, we on the other hand have done nothing but improve since Coach Fran took the wheel......thats all i'm saying, i'm not knocking UT, but i'm tired of hearing the same ole same ole outa UT every year.....so basically all i'm saying to you, UT fans everywhere, Mack Brown, etc. is "put up or shut up" and i can say with fairly 100% certainty, the Aggies will better their mark from last year. mark my words, because i will come back to this post later in the year.

TMer25
08-29-2005, 04:54 PM
I dont think Texas finishing #4 in the final polls last year, constitutes barely making the top 10

KTJ
08-29-2005, 04:56 PM
LOL...year after year its the same outa the UT faithful......and again, i wont have to "back ANYTHING up" as UT will prove me right as they do every year.....but yet..while the Horns havent improved their situation in several seasons having similar seasons for the past 5 yrs (which start out w/ the UT nation claiming "this is our year, OU is goin down...national champs. etc" every year, only to be smoked by OU and BEARLY make the top 10, we on the other hand have done nothing but improve since Coach Fran took the wheel......thats all i'm saying, i'm not knocking UT, but i'm tired of hearing the same ole same ole outa UT every year.....so basically all i'm saying to you, UT fans everywhere, Mack Brown, etc. is "put up or shut up" and i can say with fairly 100% certainty, the Aggies will better their mark from last year. mark my words, because i will come back to this post later in the year.

So did we prove you right last year by going to the Rose Bowl and beating Michigan?

Last year we lost to OU and satyed in the top 10 and still got a BCS bid. Why are you worried about whar UT fans are saying and how we've done against OU when we've beaten A&M 5 straight years? Less we not forget all the time A&M fans says "this is our year. We will beat 't.u.'" Should we be sick of hearing that from yall?

IHStangFan
08-29-2005, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by TMer25
I dont think Texas finishing #4 in the final polls last year, constitutes barely making the top 10 you guys are too sensative...lemme break it down, UT is NOT national champ material, they MIGHT beat OU this year, and MIGHT get beat by A&M and/or Tech. they WILL get stomped by Ohio State, and will at beat finish 4th or 5th in the polls at the end of the year. where yall are mis-understanding me is by saying such, thinking i'm "knocking" UT saying theyre not good.....no...theyre a good team, but theyre not a champ. caliber team, and they seem very UNABLE to improve much in the last handful of years.

IHStangFan
08-29-2005, 04:57 PM
LOL..i love UT fans "we" "we" "we".........you on the team?

IHStangFan
08-29-2005, 04:59 PM
and PS...i'm not blaming their inability to improve their situation on their talent pool.....thats DEFINATELY not the situation.....i think it has more to do w/ Brown's inability to coach them to a title. Brown can recruit, thats not to be argued, but when's he gonna get em over the hump......as i stated....lord knows theyve had the talent to get it done!!!

vet93
08-29-2005, 05:08 PM
I am an Aggie fan..... didn't they say the same thing about Bowden before he won a couple at FSU. Mack has done an excellent job and it is quite a feat to be able to be mentioned as a NC contender each year. A&M has improved each year under Fran but until they prove that they can consistently play with the big boys.....it doesn't make sense to Poo Poo the longhorns. Good natured ribbing is all in good fun in regards to the UT/A&M rivalry....but lets have a little common sense when we are talking football.

and PS...i'm not blaming their inability to improve their situation on their talent pool.....thats DEFINATELY not the situation.....i think it has more to do w/ Brown's inability to coach them to a title. Brown can recruit, thats not to be argued, but when's he gonna get em over the hump......as i stated....lord knows theyve had the talent to get it done!!!

KTJ
08-29-2005, 05:08 PM
I think the Rose Bowl win was "over thr hump" but for some reason people think beating OU is the hump, for which they have a valid right to think that.

And Aggies say "we" as well. Don't get all high and mighty. :D

And yes, I'm on the team. I thought you knew.

HighSchool Fan
08-29-2005, 05:11 PM

i wonder how it feels to lose consistantly to a team that has a coach that can't coach?? what does that say about the teams that texas beats year in and year out?? either you have inferior players or inferior coaches, or in some teams cases, both.

also, how many teams in the country would like to have UT's record the last few years? quiet a few i'm sure, esp that little team from college station.

IHStangFan
08-29-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
I think the Rose Bowl win was "over thr hump" but for some reason people think beating OU is the hump, for which they have a valid right to think that.

And Aggies say "we" as well. Don't get all high and mighty. :D

And yes, I'm on the team. I thought you knew. well for UT, each season has TWO humps to alot of people. OU and a Nat'l Champ. Rose bowl win over Michigan was great, but it was no title. You guys, listen, i'm REALLY not a UT hater, just ready to see them A: beat OU, and B: win that Nat'l Championship we keep HEARING theyre gonna take home "this year" (as is said EVERY year, but yet, no title or win against OU to show for all the talking) thats the only point i'm trying to make.

IHStangFan
08-29-2005, 05:18 PM
i wonder how it feels to lose consistantly to a team that has a coach that can't coach?? what does that say about the teams that texas beats year in and year out?? either you have inferior players or inferior coaches, or in some teams cases, both.

also, how many teams in the country would like to have UT's record the last few years? quiet a few i'm sure, esp that little team from college station. again, we're not talking about other teams.....we're talking about Texas, and my only point....i'll make it YET AGAIN...is that they seem unable to improve their situation year after year (which is NOT a bad situation) despite all of the talent they have on the field each year, yet at the begining of each season its always "this is the year, Nat'l Champs, OU goin down. blah blah blah" i'm just waiting for all of that talk to be backed up w/ actions and not constant loses to OU and no title. I cant rattle too much about it, other than the fact, A&M and their fans seem to be a little more humble, in part due to the fact that we've only had a SO-SO team in past years...but w/ that being said, we have managed to beat OU a couple of those years......so i guess its really just a matter of who plays who better, why, and how to overcome??

HighSchool Fan
08-29-2005, 05:22 PM
I cant rattle too much about it, other than the fact, A&M and their fans seem to be a little more humble,

that has to be the craziest statement of the year. a&m ranks pretty close to miami when it comes to cockiness from fans

IHStangFan
08-29-2005, 05:24 PM
that has to be the craziest statement of the year. a&m ranks pretty close to miami when it comes to cockiness from fans LMAO!!! "hello...Pot? this is Kettle...YOURE BLACK!!!"

and thats crazy talk!!, A&M fans are nowhere NEAR the trash-talkers the Horns fans are.

that being said, good luck to you, your team, the Longhorns, etc. I'm going home for the day.

and hell, i'll take ANY Texas team over Oklahoma and Nebraska...so.......when UT plays anyone but A&M.....go UT? :D

HighSchool Fan
08-29-2005, 05:28 PM
LMAO!!! "hello...Pot? this is Kettle...YOURE BLACK!!!"

and thats crazy talk!!, A&M fans are nowhere NEAR the trash-talkers the Horns fans are.

that being said, good luck to you, your team, the Longhorns, etc. I'm going home for the day.

and hell, i'll take ANY Texas team over Oklahoma and Nebraska...so.......when UT plays anyone but A&M.....go UT? :D

explayer himself makes up for thousands of UT fans trash talk

KTJ
08-29-2005, 06:07 PM

You're kidding, right?

PhiI C
08-29-2005, 07:38 PM
Don't forget UT is already starting the season on a tough note. You know how mean those Louisiana players are and they will come to Texas determined to play outstanding football. I still say Texas will pull it out and win by a td.

pirate4state
08-29-2005, 11:52 PM
i wonder how it feels to lose consistantly to a team that has a coach that can't coach?? what does that say about the teams that texas beats year in and year out?? either you have inferior players or inferior coaches, or in some teams cases, both. :clap: LMAO!! :D

(which start out w/ the UT nation claiming "this is our year, OU is goin down...national champs. etc") Isn't this what each team aspires to do...win a National championship? Why wouldn't we, the fans, always want that? :thinking: And why wouldn't we proclaim it at the beginning of every season? I doubt we are the only team to do it!

so basically all i'm saying to you, UT fans everywhere, Mack Brown, etc. is "put up or shut up" and i can say with fairly 100% certainty, the Aggies will better their mark from last year. mark my words, because i will come back to this post later in the year. Well don't the Aggies claim every year that they are going to "beat t.u."? :rolleyes: So basically all I'm saying to you, Aggie fans everywhere, is "put up or shut up"!! :D

LOL..i love UT fans "we" "we" "we".........you on the team? LOL - Aggie fans use "we" "we" "we" too. :p See:
...only to be smoked by OU and BEARLY make the top 10, we on the other hand have done nothing but improve since Coach Fran took the wheel......

AND last but not least...

again, we're not talking about other teams.....we're talking about Texas and to think all I wanted to do was inform the downlow about Shipley's status... ;) :D :D

this was all in good fun IHSF I do have to give you a :clap: for using UT instead of t.u.

big daddy russ
08-30-2005, 12:16 AM
... a cupcake schedule besides Ohio St and OU.
The Big XII South didn't come out of a Little Debbie factory. With the SEC West down this year, it's the strongest Division in Football.

IHStangFan
08-30-2005, 09:38 AM
explayer himself makes up for thousands of UT fans trash talk LOL....okay...i have to give you that one, there is an exception to every rule i guess.