5. Snyder
6. Iowa Park
7. Canyon
8. Bidgeport
9. Pilot Point
10. Glen Rose

LeonJr
08-28-2005, 11:03 PM
Sorry Snyder fans...it's just your district.

SnyTigBaseB07
08-28-2005, 11:04 PM
haha aww...come on..i think wylie should be behind us.....snyder is better! lol nah we'll see

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-28-2005, 11:20 PM
Here is mine

1. Sweetwater - Speed and more speed. Explosive.
2. Snyder - Experience with lots of returners.
3. Bidgeport - Run game that is hard to stop.
4. Wylie - Hard to defend these guys. Tradition.
5. Gainesville - Started out strong
6. Canyon - I believe this is the break out year.
7. Decatur - Traditionally strong in the recent past.
8. Monahans - Darkhorse out of this bunch
9. Iowa Park - Lost first game (to a 4A program) but give them time to gel
10. Graham - Has potential to be very good.

Of course this will shake up after several weeks and the surprise teams rise to the top and a few of these top 10 teams lose and fall out. So who is it going to be? Who is the David that will rise and who is the Goliath that will fall?

LeonJr
08-28-2005, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Here is mine

1. Sweetwater - Speed and more speed. Explosive.
2. Snyder - Experience with lots of returners.
3. Bidgeport - Run game that is hard to stop.
4. Wylie - Hard to defend these guys. Tradition.
5. Gainesville - Started out strong
6. Canyon - I believe this is the break out year.
7. Decatur - Traditionally strong in the recent past.
8. Monahans - Darkhorse out of this bunch
9. Iowa Park - Lost first game (to a 4A program) but give them time to gel
10. Graham - Has potential to be very good.

Of course this will shake up after several weeks and the surprise teams rise to the top and a few of these top 10 teams lose and fall out. So who is it going to be? Who is the David that will rise and who is the Goliath that will fall?

Not bad...but not Leon's!:eek:

Adidas410s
08-28-2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by LeonJr
1. Gainsville
2. Sweetwater
3. Decatur
4. Wylie
5. Snyder
6. Iowa Park
7. Canyon
8. Bidgeport
9. Pilot Point
10. Glen Rose

Decatur...HAHA!!! They return nobody!!!

Iowa Park...ever more HA!!! They lost to a traditonal 4A doormat in Mineral Wells with a coach in Bourquin that only runs MAYBE 3 or 4 plays a game because it is all that he can comprehend. It was one thing to lose to him at Graham when they had some talent but sad now because Mineral Wells has far less...

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-28-2005, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

Iowa Park...ever more HA!!! They lost to a traditonal 4A doormat in Mineral Wells with a coach in Bourquin that only runs MAYBE 3 or 4 plays a game because it is all that he can comprehend. It was one thing to lose to him at Graham when they had some talent but sad now because Mineral Wells has far less...

How would yours go Adidas410s? Just curious if you know of some other teams that I'm not familiar with. I really am out of the loop on the district 1-3 teams.

I know you don't like the veer that Bourquin runs but MW is a bigger school with more to choose from. Plus IP was missing their number 1 QB. That should help them and they need time. Decatur seems to reload lately and I expect that they will keep things going down there.

Adidas410s
08-29-2005, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
How would yours go Adidas410s? Just curious if you know of some other teams that I'm not familiar with. I really am out of the loop on the district 1-3 teams.

I know you don't like the veer that Bourquin runs but MW is a bigger school with more to choose from. Plus IP was missing their number 1 QB. That should help them and they need time. Decatur seems to reload lately and I expect that they will keep things going down there.

How can you say that Decatur reloads? They had the same nucleus in Dane and Christian the last 3 years to keep their offense going. Also, their defense was much better the last few years and would not have given up 24 (i think) points to a lowly Burkburnett team.

In regards to MW, it doesn't matter how many numbers you have to pull from if there is NO TALENT there. I guarantee you that Celina or even a Ballinger when in 3A could beat Ft Stockton or a WF Hirschi when they were the biggest schools in 3A. High school football is so much NOT about the talent but about the coaching. Case in point...Abilene Wylie. With the exception on an occasional standout like John Lampert or Case Keenum, Wylie has the same if not less talent than the other top teams in 3A. What keeps them on top EVERY year is the coaching. I am hard pressed to think of a game where Wylie has been outcoached. Games where the other team had more talent (i.e. Gainesville Semis 03) or where our team just didn't show up to play (i.e. Decatur 04, Clyde 03)...yeah those happen. For me to think of a game though where the gameplan that Sandifer and his guys put together was not capable of winning a game...I really can't think of one.

Here is my top 10...

1 (tie) Sweetwater...showed on Friday that they have the big playmaking ability that will make them an exciting team this year.
1 (tie) Gainesville...the hardest one to judge as they had an unknown opponent but the coaches made good adjustments at half and were able to pull away for a nice victory. "My sources" tell me that the new coaching/offensive style fits their type of talent and speed very well!
1 (tie) Wylie...I can honestly say that they looked SCARY good on Friday night. Even without a set guy at RB or their #1 receiver (injury), things looked very smooth on offense and a defense that was lights out. This is the first time since 2000 that I haven't sat through a preseason game and watch us stumble our way through 4 quarters.
4. Snyder...a good team that will challenge for district. The strength of this team will be in their defense because their offense is small and capable of being handled by bigger teams. If their defense can hold the Wylie/Sweetwater under 20 points then they are capable of taking the title. Otherwise we may not have an outright winner of the district.
5. Bridgeport...definitely capable of doing a lot of damage on their side of the playoff bracket assuming that they go Div2. I have no clue on the enrollment #'s for the district and don't want to go find them right now.
After the top 5 I think it is a crapshoot between about 7 or 8 teams.

- Decatur...good recent history but many ? marks this year. At least they got new unis!!!
- Iowa Park...early favorite in their district but the big ? is can they get past graham
- Graham...this program has the talent and if McCoy's system gets in full flow by district THEN WATCH OUT because they will easily run over this district and setup a shootout with Gainesville in the playoffs
- Pilot Point...tradition
- Vernon...tradition and I just really like most people from Vernon
- Canyon...they lost some studs from last year's team and were demoralized in the playoffs after being touted as "the Panhandle team that could play"...as long as they can get over the Wylie game and hopefully nobody puts that tag on them again...they may do alright!
- Breckenridge...the one that is least likely to pan out but if you watch their QB in person he has as good of an arm as any QB in 3A...if he can only get it under control and develop some mental toughness then they have the type of system (see Tech/Decatur/etc) to turn average talent into a VERY TOUGH team

I don't really keep up with schools west of here so somebody feel free to enlighten me...

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-29-2005, 12:37 AM
Your top 5 look good to me. See my top 10. The rest are about what I was thinking. Graham will have to use all 6 non-district games to get going well. IP should be strong. They do have good coaching over there. I saw Vernon scrimmage Sweetwater and it was ugly for Vernon. They are young and I'm actually surprised they beat Springtown. I spoke with one of the linemen and he said they still made way too many mistakes. So I'm hoping they iron out things over the next several weeks. Wylie is on the schedule as well as WF Old High so they will see some good teams. Vernon is imulating Wylie in their offense. If you get a chance to watch them play you will notice the mix of wing t with the I and a little bit of shotgun. They ran stright wing t the last two years. More sets hoping to get the defense to misalign. Wylie did that to Vernon last year and the Vernon coach must have liked what he saw out of the bulldog offense.

I too would like to know more from out of west.

HighSchool Fan
08-29-2005, 05:07 AM
1 (tie) Gainesville...the hardest one to judge as they had an unknown opponent but the coaches made good adjustments at half and were able to pull away for a nice victory. "My sources" tell me that the new coaching/offensive style fits their type of talent and speed very well!

could your source tell me what is new about gainsville's offense?? it's the same thing they've been running for a few years now.

if pilot point makes the playoffs, it won't be because of tradition, it will be because they play in a week district.

Adidas410s
08-29-2005, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
could your source tell me what is new about gainsville's offense?? it's the same thing they've been running for a few years now.

if pilot point makes the playoffs, it won't be because of tradition, it will be because they play in a week district.

haha...its funny you ask. One of my close friends was at their game Friday night and was insisting that they had changed up their scheme this year. I went round and round with him that it was the same thing they had 2 years ago when they won state but they refused to believe me and said that it was new.

HighSchool Fan
08-29-2005, 06:07 AM
haha...its funny you ask. One of my close friends was at their game Friday night and was insisting that they had changed up their scheme this year. I went round and round with him that it was the same thing they had 2 years ago when they won state but they refused to believe me and said that it was new.

tell your friend that you win that argument, same spread offense they've been running.

injuredinmelee
08-29-2005, 06:28 AM
everyone put some reasons for their polls but Leon. He just has a bunch of names thrown up there indiscrimately.

Adidas410s
08-29-2005, 07:09 AM
tell your friend that you win that argument, same spread offense they've been running.

Yeah I tried to argue with them for 20 minutes because I remember them running what I call a "ghetto offense" that in my opinion takes very little coaching to teach and implement. Is it effective??? Yes. Is it doing anything to prepare kids for college??? NOPE!!!

injuredinmelee
08-29-2005, 07:10 AM
unless they are going to go to Tech.

HighSchool Fan
08-29-2005, 08:23 AM
Yeah I tried to argue with them for 20 minutes because I remember them running what I call a "ghetto offense" that in my opinion takes very little coaching to teach and implement. Is it effective??? Yes. Is it doing anything to prepare kids for college??? NOPE!!!

ghetto offense?? same offense that SLC runs, seems that they are doing fine with it. it takes more coaching than you might think. actually it takes more discipline than most of the traditional offenses that some teams still run today.

Black_Magic
08-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by LeonJr
Sorry Snyder fans...it's just your district. Its ok LeonJf..... It Mind over matter when it comes to this post. after all as short of time as you have been around. anyone can post a top 10. Mind over matter. I dont mind because your post does not matter. :rolleyes: Your right about one thing... it is OUR district:clap:

Adidas410s
08-29-2005, 08:56 AM
ghetto offense?? same offense that SLC runs, seems that they are doing fine with it. it takes more coaching than you might think. actually it takes more discipline than most of the traditional offenses that some teams still run today.

That offense is a FAR CRY from what SLC runs. Personally I would compare Southlake's offense to a lot more of what you see at Texas. They use a lot of the zone read plays and have QB's who make a lot of smart decisions. Gainesville would rather just line up, wait for the coaches to look over the other defense because his QB is uncapable of making reads at the LOS and then take off running and every so often flutter a pass out there when nobody is looking...

HighSchool Fan
08-29-2005, 09:09 AM
That offense is a FAR CRY from what SLC runs. Personally I would compare Southlake's offense to a lot more of what you see at Texas. They use a lot of the zone read plays and have QB's who make a lot of smart decisions. Gainesville would rather just line up, wait for the coaches to look over the other defense because his QB is uncapable of making reads at the LOS and then take off running and every so often flutter a pass out there when nobody is looking...

did you not see SLC line up and do the same thing, look over at the coaches for the play?? samething gainesville does, same zone blocking scheme also. the only difference is gainesville runs the ball more than SLC, other than that, it's the same offense.

Underwater Basketweaver
08-29-2005, 09:32 AM
How can you say that Decatur reloads? They had the same nucleus in Dane and Christian the last 3 years to keep their offense going. Also, their defense was much better the last few years and would not have given up 24 (i think) points to a lowly Burkburnett team.

First of all, it was 21 points, and 7 of those came from a kickoff return from their spectacular running back. The same running back that ran all over G-ville in their scrimmage. He was also responsible for their other 14 points in one way or another, so don't get down on Decatur's Defense just yet. Decatur would have scored at least one more time had someone not turned out the stadium lights on the last drive with the starters in the game. After the 45 minute delay to get the lights working again, the backups started playing.

Also, don't forget Burkburnett is 4A. I know what you are thinking, they are a weak 4A. But they are still 4A and that means they should be able to at least score on a good 3A team.

Macarthur
08-29-2005, 11:03 AM

Here's the scoop on IP. Z is correct; their starting QB was out and they played two kids that have never taken a varsity snap. IP had almost 2x the total offense that MW had. IP had 5 turnovers in the 4th quarter. IP's defense shut down MW other than one long run, one trick play and a kickoff return, which all 3 went for TD's. IP moved the ball very well but they were sloppy. Those things will get worked out. Once they get the kinks worked out IP will be strong, as normal.

As for Bourquin, man, you need to lay off. He is a heck of a coach and you are incorrect about MW not having any talent. They has been talent there in past years there just has not been an emphasis on the program. YOu mark my words, Bourquin will have them in the playoffs very soon. Maybe not this year, but soon.

NateDawg39
08-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Decatur is going to suprise a lot of people this year. Im not saying they are the team to beat but they should not be taken lightly. There D will be much better this week. Trust me on that.

KL3
08-29-2005, 02:28 PM
Personally I would compare Southlake's offense to a lot more of what you see at Texas. They use a lot of the zone read plays and have QB's who make a lot of smart decisions.

Both offenses do run the zone read, but please don't compare what Southlake Carrol does in the passing game to that of the longhorns. Southlake runs a sophisticated pass offense in which their QB's pass for over 4,000 yds a year with very few interceptions. Vince Young, on the other hand, throws for a little over a thousand yds passing, and has thrown an equal number of td's to interceptions (18/18) in his career.

HighSchool Fan
08-29-2005, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by KL3
Both offenses do run the zone read, but please don't compare what Southlake Carrol does in the passing game to that of the longhorns. Southlake runs a sophisticated pass offense in which their QB's pass for over 4,000 yds a year with very few interceptions. Vince Young, on the other hand, throws for a little over a thousand yds passing, and has thrown an equal number of td's to interceptions (18/18) in his career.

don't forget that vince young has own'ed the aggies since he's been at UT

Adidas410s
08-29-2005, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur

As for Bourquin, man, you need to lay off. He is a heck of a coach and you are incorrect about MW not having any talent. They has been talent there in past years there just has not been an emphasis on the program. YOu mark my words, Bourquin will have them in the playoffs very soon. Maybe not this year, but soon.

Hey when you watch your younger brothers play on teams with AT LEAST as much talent as when I was at Wylie and then underachieve ALL year and then be embarassed in the 1st round of the playoffs because the coach runs the same 4 freakin' plays and calls that an offense but anybody with 10 minutes of video tape can design a game plan to dominate them...THEN you can talk to me about Bourquin! Yeah Bourquin can get a team into the playoffs but he can't even win a freakin' game there. The biggest problem in MW is not the talent. Yeah they don't have too much of it but when you are at a 4A program and the HC is not also the AD then you aren't being able to bring in the type of coaches you need to compete in 4A. Bourquin may have teams that go 7-3 or 8-2 here and there...but they will NOT be a good playoff team by any stretch of the imagination. With as watered down as the playoff system is allowing 3 teams out of some weak districts (and yes after Aledo/Stephenville the district IS weak), it makes it easier for mediocore undeserving teams to make it in.

Adidas410s
08-29-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by KL3

Just for the record, here are the stats that Texas has put up in the past 2 years while running a zone read type of offense

RUSHING 587 carries for 3023 yards
PASSING 186-329 (57%) for 2686 yards

RUSHING 615 carries for 3590 yards
PASSING 159-275 (58%) for 1983 yards

Please note that in 2003 Texas split their QB's between Mock and Young. Additionally they had Roy Williams, BJ Johnson, Sloan Thomas, and Bo Scaife as well as Cedric Benson and a healthy Selvin Young in the backfield.

In 2004 they had Benson returning in the backfield but Selvin Young missed almost the entire season and they had no returning receivers (other than TE's) that had any significant numbers from the year before.

LeonJr
08-29-2005, 08:40 PM
Just for the record, here are the stats that Texas has put up in the past 2 years while running a zone read type of offense

RUSHING 587 carries for 3023 yards
PASSING 186-329 (57%) for 2686 yards

RUSHING 615 carries for 3590 yards
PASSING 159-275 (58%) for 1983 yards

Please note that in 2003 Texas split their QB's between Mock and Young. Additionally they had Roy Williams, BJ Johnson, Sloan Thomas, and Bo Scaife as well as Cedric Benson and a healthy Selvin Young in the backfield.

In 2004 they had Benson returning in the backfield but Selvin Young missed almost the entire season and they had no returning receivers (other than TE's) that had any significant numbers from the year before.

I like the stats...mucho impressed!:clap:

KL3
08-30-2005, 10:30 AM
highschoolfan, at least I don't have to worry about you contributing any valuable information to this topic. You really don't have a clue do you?

Adidas, thanks for proving my point for me. texas' passing offense has been less than average. I appreciate you helping me out.

LeonJr
08-30-2005, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by KL3
highschoolfan, at least I don't have to worry about you contributing any valuable information to this topic. You really don't have a clue do you?

Adidas, thanks for proving my point for me. texas' passing offense has been less than average. I appreciate you helping me out.

i agree too!:clap:

Adidas410s
08-30-2005, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by KL3

So throwing for 2000 yards is below average? That's a revelation to me. Especially when they can run for over 3500 yards. By comparison, last year A&M ran for 2007 yards and was 223-357 (61%) for 3134 yards. And in '03 they ran for 2127 yards and were 178-330 (53%) for 2551 yards. Looks like the mighty Ags numbers weren't that impressive either!

LeonJr
08-30-2005, 10:37 AM
So throwing for 2000 yards is below average? That's a revelation to me. Especially when they can run for over 3500 yards. By comparison, last year A&M ran for 2007 yards and was 223-357 (61%) for 3134 yards. And in '03 they ran for 2127 yards and were 178-330 (53%) for 2551 yards. Looks like the mighty Ags numbers weren't that impressive either!

yeah:eek: what he said:clap:

KL3
08-30-2005, 11:21 AM
Yes, 1983 passing yards in a season is below average. Just like I said earlier. The original point in this topic, the poster was comparing the offenses. I said they run the same running plays but the passing offenses were not close to each other.

Southlake QB's lead the state in passing yardage, or are very close to it every year. They also commit minimal turnovers. Compare that to Vince Young who has thrown for just as many interceptions as touchdowns in his career, and you know what you get? A ridiculous comparison.

HighSchool Fan
08-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by KL3
Yes, 1983 passing yards in a season is below average. Just like I said earlier. The original point in this topic, the poster was comparing the offenses. I said they run the same running plays but the passing offenses were not close to each other.

Southlake QB's lead the state in passing yardage, or are very close to it every year. They also commit minimal turnovers. Compare that to Vince Young who has thrown for just as many interceptions as touchdowns in his career, and you know what you get? A ridiculous comparison.

so what's more important, td's to int's or win's to loses

LeonJr
08-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by KL3

Well said

LeonJr
08-30-2005, 11:33 AM
?