PDA

View Full Version : Hooks land big ones with Backe, Bagwell

pirate44
08-28-2005, 11:40 AM
Astros players to rehab with CC this week

The Hooks haven't sent a player to the big leagues yet, but a pair of prominent major leaguers will be coming to Corpus Christi.

Houston Astros pitcher Brandon Backe and first baseman Jeff Bagwell will have injury rehabilitation assignments with the Hooks this week, the team announced Saturday night.

Backe is slated to start Monday's game against Midland at Whataburger Field. Bagwell is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday and play at least three games for the Hooks.

"It's great just knowing we had the possibility of Bagwell coming but to have Backe as well is going to make this last homestand truly special," Hooks president J.J. Gottsch said. "This is going to be a great treat for all the longtime Astros fans in the area."

Backe has been sidelined for more than a month with an intercostal (abdomen) strain while Bagwell is recovering from June shoulder surgery.

Bagwell coming to Corpus Christi had been discussed for the past week, but Backe's rehab assignment came as a bit of a surprise.

According to a report on mlb.com, he had been slated to throw a simulated game on Tuesday before a decision would be made on a possible rehab assignment.

However, the plans apparently changed after Backe threw close to 100 pitches during a bullpen session on Friday in Los Angeles.

"I tested it with throwing it pretty hard, and throwing a lot of pitches," Backe told mlb.com. "I felt good. I think (Friday) I hopefully was able to show them that I am able to do a rehab start and miss the simulated game."

Bagwell, the Astros' all-time home run and runs batted in leader, is expected to solely appear as the Hooks' designated hitter. For now, he is expected to play from Tuesday through Thursday, with a possible fourth game if necessary.

Backe and Bagwell will give the Hooks four major leaguers who've come to Corpus Christi this year. Catcher Humberto Quintero and pitcher Wandy Rodriguez both joined the Hooks for a July series against Springfield.

Pmoney
08-28-2005, 12:46 PM
That would be a great week to go to a Hooks game

pirate44
08-28-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
That would be a great week to go to a Hooks game
yeah and its their final home stand to boot. you know all those who havent see a game in their inaugural year will be packin the house

Pmoney
08-28-2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
yeah and its their final home stand to boot. you know all those who havent see a game in their inaugural year will be packin the house
ya if i wasnt in school and if i lived closer to CC i would go

District303aPastPlayer
08-28-2005, 04:05 PM
if they play tomorrow, for my birthday, im going to go to the game.

pirate44
08-28-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
if they play tomorrow, for my birthday, im going to go to the game.
i guess you are going then. it says Backe will start monday. have a great time.

Maroon87
08-28-2005, 04:33 PM
Those tickets will be tough to come by. Whoever goes, give us a report. The 'Stros could really use those 2 right now!