PDA

View Full Version : bye bye New Orleans....

CHS_CG
08-28-2005, 08:23 AM
Katrina hits cat. 5:eek:

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- Traffic streamed out of the city of New Orleans early Sunday as Hurricane Katrina churned towards the U.S. Gulf Coast with maximum sustained winds of 160 mph.

The National Hurricane Center upgraded the storm on Sunday to Category 5, the most intense category on the Saffir-Simpson scale of hurricane intensity.

The storm is expected to make landfall Monday morning in southeastern Louisiana or southwest Mississippi.

The first bands of rain from the storm were starting to hit the southeastern tip of Louisiana on Sunday morning.

At 8 a.m. ET, Katrina was centered about 250 miles south-southeast of the mouth of the Mississippi River. It was moving to the west-northwest at about 12 mph.

Officials fear New Orleans is vulnerable because it sits an average of 6 feet below sea level. (Watch video of how New Orleans reacted to warning)

Forecasters predicted that Katrina could cause storm surge flooding of 15 to 20 feet above normal levels when it comes ashore.

Mandatory evacuations were in effect for some of Louisiana's low-lying areas; residents in other low-lying areas are being encouraged to leave.

Several major interstate highways, including 55, 59, 10 and 12, were converted to one-way routes away from New Orleans, the Louisiana Department of Transportation said.

Long lines of cars could be seen on I-10 west, heading out of the city.

Hurricane warnings were posted from Morgan City, Louisiana, eastward to the Alabama-Florida state line, including New Orleans and Lake Pontchartrain. A hurricane warning means hurricane conditions, including winds of at least 74 mph, are expected in the warning area within the next 24 hours.

A tropical storm warning and a hurricane watch from the Alabama-Florida state line eastward to Destin, Florida, and from west of Morgan City to Intracoastal City, Louisiana. Another tropical storm warning was issued Sunday from Intracoastal City, Louisiana, west to Cameron, Louisiana, and from Destin, Florida, eastward to Indian Pass, Florida.

A tropical storm warning means tropical storm conditions, including winds of at least 39 mph, are expected within 24 hours. A hurricane watch means hurricane conditions are possible, usually within 36 hours.

Governors of both Louisiana and Mississippi declared emergencies Friday in anticipation of the strengthening storm.

"This is a very, very dangerous hurricane," said National Hurricane Center director Max Mayfield.

"I can't emphasize enough to viewers how serious FEMA is taking this storm," Michael Brown, director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency said. "We've done a lot of planning for a hurricane striking New Orleans because of New Orleans lying below sea level."

Katrina has been blamed for seven deaths in Florida, where it made landfall Thursday as a Category 1 hurricane. As much as 18 inches of rain fell in some areas, flooding streets and homes. (See video of the damage floodwaters left in one family's new house)

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a test. This is the real deal," New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said at a news conference.

He urged people to remain calm, "board up your homes, make sure you have medicine, make sure your car has enough gas in it," and prepare to leave.

Robert Latham, director of the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency, said the state was recommending evacuations along the coast "and even several counties inland." Mandatory evacuations could follow later, he said.

The last time Mississippi or Louisiana was hit by a major hurricane was in 1969, when Camille killed 256 people. Latham said he attends a memorial service for those victims every year and keeps a book about the storm on his desk.

The potential for damage and loss of life with Katrina could be even worse, as millions of people have moved to the coast since then, Brown told CNN.

He said his office has done all it can "for the citizens of this state to prepare for this type of event."

CHS_CG
08-28-2005, 08:24 AM
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/WEATHER/08/28/hurricane.katrina/story.8.28.06.45.am.jpg
Satellite image taken at 6:15 a.m. ET shows Hurricane Katrina as it approaches the Gulf Coast.

NSUTrumpet08
08-28-2005, 08:55 AM
Man...this storm...it looks erilly similar to Hurricane Camille back in 1969.

SintonFan_inAustin
08-28-2005, 09:09 AM
This hurricane ruin my gambling weekend:mad:

Bandera YaYa
08-28-2005, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
This hurricane ruin my gambling weekend:mad: Dang it all!!!!!! :p :D

MARLINDOGS
08-28-2005, 09:22 AM
And i thought the weather gets bad here.:thinking:

Leopards,class of 75
08-28-2005, 09:35 AM
I have been watching The Weather Channel, what a story this has become. The Mayor is telling everyone to get out of town!

TAMUGRAD
08-28-2005, 09:43 AM
What happens to the elderly in nursing homes and folks in the hospitals?

They say it could take a long time to get the water pumped out of there and the electricity back on.

SintonFan_inAustin
08-28-2005, 09:50 AM
its getting worse its now at 175 mph

GreenMonster
08-28-2005, 09:52 AM
This thing is going to be outrageous. It's gonna skip category 5 status and go straight to the record books.

Bullaholic
08-28-2005, 09:58 AM
I was living in New Orleans in 65' and 69', and rode both Betsy and Camille out. Betsy was not that strong and the brunt of Camille went east to Biloxi. Katrina does not look good for the Big Easy if the eye makes landfall anywhere between the Mississippi River and Lake Ponchartrain. I've still got some in-laws in that area and they are getting out. God Bless those who remain---I hope if New Orleans is hit, it will not be as bad as they are prediciting. A tremendous part of American history and culture could be lost.

wos fan1
08-28-2005, 10:10 AM
Storm surge will be 30 feet...Pray for those folks!

lepfan
08-28-2005, 10:22 AM
Wind gusts now up to 200 mph. :eek: :eek: :eek:

SintonFan_inAustin
08-28-2005, 10:27 AM
not good there going to fill the superdome with 70k people and the dome can withstand up 200 mph winds, they should bus them out instead.

SintonFan_inAustin
08-28-2005, 10:34 AM
winds gusting now at 213 mph

gobbler grad
08-28-2005, 10:38 AM
this is going to be a horrible storm...:eek: :eek: the wind is blowing like crazy...

bullfrog_alumni_02
08-28-2005, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/WEATHER/08/28/hurricane.katrina/story.8.28.06.45.am.jpg
Satellite image taken at 6:15 a.m. ET shows Hurricane Katrina as it approaches the Gulf Coast. she looks pissed...like some took the last cookie from the cookie jar...

sinfan75
08-28-2005, 11:09 AM
This thing is gonna be as bad as Celia was. And that was one bad mother.

KTJ
08-28-2005, 11:21 AM
I have a friend from UT who is at Law School at Tulane. I called to check on him last night and he was safe and sound in Houston.

CHS_CG
08-28-2005, 12:47 PM
They said I 10 is gridlocked for a LONG ways. I hope everybody can get out in time!

CHS_CG
08-28-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
she looks pissed...like some took the last cookie from the cookie jar...

speakin of baked goods, i have banana bread to go make. I guess I will watch this storm build up more while im cookin, I heard somewhere that the storm had a chance to lose some strength but that the gulf waters were around 85 degress.

slpybear the bullfan
08-28-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I was living in New Orleans in 65' and 69', and rode both Betsy and Camille out. Betsy was not that strong and the brunt of Camille went east to Biloxi. Katrina does not look good for the Big Easy if the eye makes landfall anywhere between the Mississippi River and Lake Ponchartrain. I've still got some in-laws in that area and they are getting out. God Bless those who remain---I hope if New Orleans is hit, it will not be as bad as they are prediciting. A tremendous part of American history and culture could be lost.

Wow, I never knew that about you, Bullaholic.

It sure looks like Nawleans is in for it. Big Time.

sinton66
08-28-2005, 01:17 PM
The city of New Orleans itself is actually below sea level. A huge storm surge is gonna be bad. They don't even have a barrier island like we do to somewhat protect from the surge. The hurricane is only part of what this storm can do. It will probably spawn numerous tornadoes in the mid bands off the center. This could easily become the worst one ever. I remember Celia. It was classified a Category 4 and her gusts broke a 200 mph. wind guage at the Corpus Airport. Maximum sustained winds were about 158 mph. This one is already a Category 5. By the time it hits, gusts could possibly be around 250 mph.

Hupernikomen
08-28-2005, 01:23 PM
My prayers are with those people. May the good Lord show mercy.

bccards
08-28-2005, 01:30 PM
Interstate 10 down here is terrible, I have NEVER in my life seen so much traffic on I10.. Even with Hurricane Ivan evacuees last year, traffic wasn't nearly this congested.. From the state line, all the way to Beaumont, traffic is going at a crawl. I'm hearing that we're getting some pretty bad Coastal Flooding/Surge coming in even around Sabine Pass, and that there are some rescues having to happen because people are getting stranded on the beaches.. I can't confirm this, just hearing reports. I'll try to get some pics of the freeway, and the state visitors center in Orange, later today.

sahen
08-28-2005, 01:42 PM
if this hits new orleans its gonna be bad....this will be the worst case scenario, a city under sea level hit by a category 5 hurricane....it doesnt get worse than that....

wos fan1
08-28-2005, 01:56 PM
Looks like landfall just west of New Orleans which is the worst case secenrio for them! Could have 15 feet of water in downtown on Monday! :eek:

Bandera YaYa
08-28-2005, 01:58 PM
Oh my gosh.....things can sure take a turn for the worst.....my prayers go out to them.....I sure hope no one is hanging around to see this one up close!!!! :(

Bullaholic
08-28-2005, 03:53 PM
For those of you who like to track hurricanes and monitor telemetry associated with them, go to this link:

Hurricane Watch Net (http://www.hwn.org)

(May be some delay---the site is understandibly very busy)

Probably more info than you are going to want, but a lot of the info is interesting to view. I am an amateur radio operator (ham), callsign KE5BNO and I am monitoring the hurricane watch net currently in session on 14.325Mhz (USB). This is an emergency traffic net which goes into operation when disasters threaten a community. Whenever a major catastrophic event strikes a community, most of the communications are lost. Ham radio operators in the stricken area, and hams who go to the area from adjacent areas,, have the capabilites and training to set up and operate emergency communications quickly and pass emegency traffic and health and welfare information to the outside world.

Old Tiger
08-28-2005, 04:21 PM
I sure hope they at least cleared off that 20 mile bridge!!!

gobbler grad
08-28-2005, 04:27 PM
they just showed a bunch of people there that are going to ride it out...I think there crazy :crazy:

Maroon87
08-28-2005, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
The city of New Orleans itself is actually below sea level. A huge storm surge is gonna be bad. They don't even have a barrier island like we do to somewhat protect from the surge. The hurricane is only part of what this storm can do. It will probably spawn numerous tornadoes in the mid bands off the center. This could easily become the worst one ever. I remember Celia. It was classified a Category 4 and her gusts broke a 200 mph. wind guage at the Corpus Airport. Maximum sustained winds were about 158 mph. This one is already a Category 5. By the time it hits, gusts could possibly be around 250 mph.

The first tangible memory that I have is of Celia. I was 2, but I remember everyone huddled in the living room and the damndest noise I ever heard outside. It was a big tree in the back yard falling and wiping out the patio.:eek:

gobbler grad
08-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
They said I 10 is gridlocked for a LONG ways. I hope everybody can get out in time!

you think thats bad, try getting into the Superdome for the night...people have been in line since early this morning and are still waiting...they are just going to have to push them in before the disaster starts...

44INAROW
08-28-2005, 06:18 PM
Well, we literally just drove in from our weekend trip to Northeast Louisiana and the roads are PACKED, bumper to bumper with people fleeing New Orleans, Baton Rouge and Lafayette. Thank goodness I had reservations where we stayed.. There were NO ROOMS within 200 miles of where we were. There were people parked in the Mall parking lot when we left there this AM (9 AM) waiting on people to check out of the hotels.. Things sure look dismal and grim for the Big Easy!

gobbler grad
08-28-2005, 06:25 PM
glad you all made it home safely,44...bet it was hectic on I-10...:eek:

Fan-Cat-stic
08-28-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
The first tangible memory that I have is of Celia. I was 2, but I remember everyone huddled in the living room and the damndest noise I ever heard outside. It was a big tree in the back yard falling and wiping out the patio.:eek:

My Prayers are with the North Gulf Coast ... I lived in Portland during Celia, where the eye went through, was 10 years old, lost the 2nd floor of my house while I was in it ... Katrina is going to make Celia look calm (although they don't really know what the winds got up to in Celia as the wind gauge broke during the storm). We didn't have any of the storm surges that they are expecting with this storm. I pray that all of the Shelters remain safe. This is going to be catastrophic.

bccards
08-28-2005, 08:17 PM
Here are the photos of the TX/LA State Line and other I10 pics of the traffic in Orange County.. Photos taken between 3:45PM And 4:30PM

Looking East at traffic coming into Texas - Taken from HWY 62
http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/7770/picture200232id.th.jpg (http://img364.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture200232id.jpg)

Traffic coming into Orange County from Louisiana
http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/1981/picture200105mz.th.jpg (http://img364.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture200105mz.jpg)

Taken at the Texas Visitors Center in Orange - First exit out of LA
http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/1696/picture200139hw.th.jpg (http://img364.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture200139hw.jpg)

This is looking to the East from Interstate 10
http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/9425/picture200395fu.th.jpg (http://img364.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture200395fu.jpg)

Interstate 10 going into Beaumont
http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/9875/picture200284cs.th.jpg (http://img364.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture200284cs.jpg)

44INAROW
08-28-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by bccards
Here are the photos of the TX/LA State Line and other I10 pics of the traffic in Orange County.. Photos taken between 3:45PM And 4:30PM

Interstate 10 going into Beaumont
http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/9875/picture200284cs.th.jpg (http://img364.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture200284cs.jpg)

Yep, I can vouch for this.. it was bumper to bumper...... I was just thankful that we were on the way home and not evacuating :)

GreenMonster
08-28-2005, 09:08 PM
I can't stop watching. New Orleans is gonna be under water by noon tomorrow and I think its so totally unfathomable that I have to watch to see for myself.

LHMom
08-28-2005, 09:59 PM
My prayers are with the families in areas affected by this storm.

Rabbit'93
08-28-2005, 10:34 PM
http://www.osei.noaa.gov/IOD/OSEIiod.jpg

TAMUGRAD
08-28-2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
This thing is gonna be as bad as Celia was. And that was one bad mother.

It will be Much, Much worse than Celia. We lived in Corpus when I was little I remember our tree shaded yard was destroyed. We had the windows boarded up and all the furniture in the middle of the rooms away from the windows. The wall in my bedroom was cracked and the rain was pouring in because the neighbors garage came apart and hit our house. My uncle took my hysterical aunt somewhere else before it got really bad because he said she was upsetting the children (me and my little brother), good thing they left a huge tree fell in the driveway where their car was parked. I remember being shipped off to the grandparents in Port Lavaca because there was no power and living conditions where too rough for my parents to take care of us and clean up the mess.

slpybear the bullfan
08-28-2005, 11:02 PM
Wow, learning more about you all the time Bullaholic.

Originally posted by Bullaholic
For those of you who like to track hurricanes and monitor telemetry associated with them, go to this link:

Hurricane Watch Net (http://www.hwn.org)

(May be some delay---the site is understandibly very busy)

Probably more info than you are going to want, but a lot of the info is interesting to view. I am an amateur radio operator (ham), callsign KE5BNO and I am monitoring the hurricane watch net currently in session on 14.325Mhz (USB). This is an emergency traffic net which goes into operation when disasters threaten a community. Whenever a major catastrophic event strikes a community, most of the communications are lost. Ham radio operators in the stricken area, and hams who go to the area from adjacent areas,, have the capabilites and training to set up and operate emergency communications quickly and pass emegency traffic and health and welfare information to the outside world.

big daddy russ
08-29-2005, 12:42 AM
My little brother and his best friend are enjoying (what little) benefits this storm has... the waves in Port Aransas were 8-12 feet today. Tomorrow they'll have some peak at 14. My brother, aka stallion02, said he'd call tomorrow afternoon to make me jealous.

Owen B
08-29-2005, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by TAMUGRAD
It will be Much, Much worse than Celia.
Yes it will. I was born and grew up in Corpus and was just shy of 16 when Celia hit. It was bad, but nothing like this will be.

District303aPastPlayer
08-29-2005, 07:52 AM
i didnt know so many people lived in corpus at some points in their life

District303aPastPlayer
08-29-2005, 08:05 AM
okay, i know this is mean, but that Steve dude on Fox News is cracking me up... this guy is like... flying away... he doesnt lean up against that post like he should...

Bullaholic
08-29-2005, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Wow, learning more about you all the time Bullaholic.

If you get to hang around long enough in this old life, slpy, you "accumulate" a lot of experiences---and when my time comes, I don't want to be one of those who says--"Wish I had done that." I have many "passions", but high school football is no. 1. Hope the Bulls become "El Toro" this season---I'll be there to see them, and you wave that "Bulls" flag every chance I get.