PDA

View Full Version : Kids making commitments on TV

TexasHSFootball
08-27-2005, 11:30 PM
I posted this on my National board as I was sitting here litterally watching the Pennsylvania Kickoff Classic doubleheader..

This whole thing took place in between games.. the first game ended in a thriller bewteen Cleveland St. Edwards and Pittsburgh Central Catholic. The first game ended with St. Edward winning by 8. PCC almost came back to pull a tie game.

Anyway, I was watch these out of state game with great interest. What gets me was, the announcers said Gateway (Pa.) All-Purpose player Aaron Smith was going to announce where he is committing to in between games. I immediately blew it off. I was like okay whatever. But a couple seconds later, it was then when I realized that Gateway was facing Cleveland Benedictine in the next game.

I figured it was going to be a taped announcement on where the kid was going to go. He is very talented.. plays WR, QB, DB and special teams. They go away for break, Gateway is litterally on the field warming up for the next game.

Commercial is over.. an annoucer is on the field, along with the kid's friends and family. He walks over.. and the announcer asked where he was committing to.. eventually he goes through this 2 minute speech. finally he says.. University of Pittsburgh.

Fine and dandy. Congrats on your commitment. Dave Wannstedt should be proud. But what gets me is why do this during the pre-game warm up? It just simply irritates the crap out of me to see someone do that moments before a very crucial match up with not only regional implications but also national implications as well.

During the game his Gateway team struggled to start. Benedictine took a 10-0 lead. Built it to a 17-3 lead. Smith looked good but really got hammered to start. He fumbled, got sacked and threw an interception. And Gateway eventually came back and won the game as well.

My point is that I was so irritated to see the kid focus on the individual aspect more than the team aspect of his game before the game at hand.

Good luck to Aaron Smith at Pittsburgh.. But why do we have kids to subject themselves to that kind of arrogance these days?

PhiI C
08-27-2005, 11:32 PM
The television networks want it. Probably more than the viewing public.

PhiI C
08-27-2005, 11:33 PM
They do this in prime time. I would never watch it especially if they had a good movie like Dawn at Socorro on and ______.

shellman54
08-28-2005, 12:25 AM
During the Army All-Star game, they pull players out DURING THE GAME and have them announce who they are commiting to by pulling a hat out of a box. Never saw the sense in that.

TexasHSFootball
08-28-2005, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by shellman54
During the Army All-Star game, they pull players out DURING THE GAME and have them announce who they are commiting to by pulling a hat out of a box. Never saw the sense in that.

That is an All-Star Game.. this is a regular season game.. thats part of what gets me so riled up.

TexasHSFootball
08-28-2005, 12:38 AM
and it was on regional TV or nationally depending on how you see it

kepdawg
08-28-2005, 12:39 AM
Apparently he is getting the pub he desired.