TarponR13K
09-09-2002, 09:29 PM
ok

District303aPastPlayer
09-16-2002, 01:21 AM
WIthout a doubt, adrian alaniz from sinton

PPHSfan
09-16-2002, 01:28 AM
For pure passing ability and the best eyes for reading recievers. Phillip Daugherty from Bridgeport, Hands Down. It will only take one game to change your mind if he is not already your number one pick. Especially if you have had the misfortune of watching your team play against him. 66 of 96 for 971 yards and 14 tds in the first three games this year? Can anyone even come close?

eye of the tiger
09-16-2002, 07:07 AM
I add my vote for Daugherty from Bridgeport. The guys is awesome.

cajun1
09-16-2002, 07:45 AM
I feel that Jake McDougle from Wills Point is an elite QB. He got MVP of the district last year and I feel he will get it again if the coaches don't pull him and put the boy from Robert E. Lee in. So far everytime they have tryed to put him in the offense has stalled so I think they know that we better keep Jake in the game if we want a Win at the end of the game...

Jacket2000
09-16-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by eye of the tiger:
I add my vote for Daugherty from Bridgeport. The guys is awesome.
No doubt about it, Daugherty is in a class all by himself. He's already come close to the 1,000 yard mark this season in only about 8 quarters of playing. I think he's got around 930 so far. Id put him against the Tate kid from Baytown any day of the week.
J2K

Old Cardinal
09-16-2002, 08:15 AM
Wow, That's easy #1 Adrian Alaniz, Sinton, by far #1, #2 Jamie"Houdini" Knight, Bridge City, #3 Phil Daugherty, Bridgeport #4 Rodriguez Mitchell, Jasper,#5 Gary Raymond, Anahuac's QB.

Chris Hart
09-16-2002, 10:11 AM
Daugherty is not only the best QB in 3A, he is the best in the state period.

WillsPointgradTJC
09-16-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by cajun1:
I feel that Jake McDougle from Wills Point is an elite QB. He got MVP of the district last year and I feel he will get it again if the coaches don't pull him and put the boy from Robert E. Lee in. So far everytime they have tryed to put him in the offense has stalled so I think they know that we better keep Jake in the game if we want a Win at the end of the game...

Jake is the real deal, and he is as dangerous on the ground as he is in the air he will come out with some amazing numbers this year.

sinton66
09-16-2002, 01:55 PM
Garwsh, looks like it depends on WHO you ask! http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

cajun1
09-16-2002, 03:07 PM
WillsPiontGradTJC, I just hope they don't pull him so we can see them numbers.
I have a bad feeling I have seen to many things happen with good players in the past and present. I have know him for a long time and I hope that this doesn't happen but, I know one thing there will be a lot of up-set parents in the stands.

keep_it_real
09-16-2002, 03:20 PM
Alot of ppl talk about Pittman from Cameron, so one guy gets over looked. Yes I live in Rockdale so I have a bias, but Jared Maldonado is fun to watch. Im not saying he's the best or anything like that, but he is fun to watch because he is about 5'6", runs around a 4.4 I believe and weighs 155(or somewhere close to that). He also has a fairly deep and accurate throw. The boy shouldve started last year. When he finally went in he through for around 270 yards in his first game with a run based offense(2001 season 2nd to the last game).So far he has already topped last years passing yards, and can run the ball like a running back when he gets into trouble. He is known locally, but probably not out of the region. His size will probably exclude him from a university though. If you get a chance take a look at this kid. He has potential.

*86 graduate

greendog fan
09-16-2002, 05:07 PM
Hey chis is this kid that much better than Mcgee from burnet? Whould like to hear you opion and reason why you think he is that good.

SintonFan_inAustin
09-16-2002, 05:11 PM
Sintons QB hasnt played as the best QB in the state right now. So after 3 weeks it would have to be the QB from Bridgeport with the numbers hes put up so far. But ask the same question at the end of the season and it may be different.

Chris Hart
09-16-2002, 05:19 PM
Greendog fan, I believe he is better because last year his stats were (304-537-16, 4,678 yds.,35 TDs.), and he led his team to the semi-finals last year with only an average supporting cast.His 4,678 yds. were only 23 yds. short of the all-time single season record in any class.He doesn't seem like he has slowed down at all this year.
McGee is a good QB, and I think he has the talent to go Div 1 in college, but he has to learn to spread the ball around a little more.I have seen a few times this year, he has locked in on Shipley who was covered decently and he had other guys WIDE open.I believe if he will use some other receivers early,it would open up Shipley even more and that is when the big numbers would come into play.But McGee is only a junior and he will only get better with time.

------------------
Big Green Dawg

mojjo_1
09-16-2002, 05:35 PM
If Rodriguez Mitchell would play more than half the game he could be close to 2000 yds. passing and 2000 yds. rushing. I think he'll finish with around 1500 yds passing and 1200 yds. rushing. He only played the first quarter last friday.

District303aPastPlayer
09-16-2002, 07:06 PM
in all classes, the best QB in the state has to be Drew Tate out of Baytown Robert E Lee HS. In Class 3-A, ill stick to my boy, Slim aka Adrian Alaniz.

slpybear the bullfan
09-16-2002, 08:13 PM
Best Passing QB in state is either Tate of Baytown-Lee or Daugherty of Bridgeport. They aren't just passers either, I believe both can run. I know Daugherty is pretty mobile, but man, you should hear the gasp from the stands everytime he runs with the ball! LOL Of course, the sigh of relief when he gets up unhurt is pretty loud too! *grin*

Daugherty's stats through three games as reported to the DMN...

66 completions
96 attempts
68.75%
971 yards
14 TD passes
1 Int
16 rushes
57 yards
3.56 yards per rush
1 TD rushing, 1 2pt Conv rushing
142.542 QB rating

and all of this in just under 8 quarters...

If you call it 8 full quarters then he is averageing per quarter...

8 completions
12 attempts
121 yards
2 TD passes

Does anyone have any similar numbers for other passers in the state? I was wondering if P. Daugherty is near the top. On the DMN website only Kolb of Stephenville is higher and no one is close to the two of them.

slpybear

hornet03
09-16-2002, 08:34 PM
I really think there are two differnet kinds of Qb's. THe one who can pass and the one who can run. Not real sure about the passing one but the best running qb would have to go to Billy Pittman. If youve never seen him play, get to one of there games. He is so slippery, it seems like defenders just slide right off of him. He had two runs against us that were amazing. The first was called back but in both I guarantee he shook everybody on our defense, some more than once, on those two plays alone.

eye of the tiger
09-16-2002, 09:12 PM
Incredible stats for Daugherty. Sounds like he picked back up where he left off last year. Has he committed to a college yet or are the scouts still breathing down his neck?

PPHSfan
09-16-2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by eye of the tiger:
Incredible stats for Daugherty. Sounds like he picked back up where he left off last year. Has he committed to a college yet or are the scouts still breathing down his neck?

Daugherty is commited to Texas Tech last I heard

eye of the tiger
09-16-2002, 09:19 PM
Thanks PPHS. I figured somebody had already latched on to him. Of course they cant sign until Feburary, but if he has made an oral committment, it should take some presure off him and just let him play his game.

AggieJohn
09-16-2002, 09:25 PM
By far if you are talking about all clasifications then their is Drew Tate of Baytown Lee- By far the coldest qb you will ever see...took the helm of Varsity qb his freshman year and continually dominates..broke state passing yard record last year as a junior....Now if you were talking about 3a..that's a different story...i would have to go with Dougherty too

BullsFan
09-16-2002, 09:25 PM
PPHSfan is correct. He made a verbal committment to Tech last spring, with the official signing coming this spring. And they'll be glad to get him. I'm admittedly prejudiced, but there are a lot of news publications that back me up in my belief that he is in fact the best QB in the state this year.

I'm a much bigger fan of HS football than pro, so someone who knows better help me out here. Does he have the talent to make it to the pros? Is he big enough? Does size in a QB matter as much as in some of the other positions?

PPHSfan
09-16-2002, 10:32 PM
Hey there Bullsfan, If my stats are correct (and they are usually pretty close) not to mention that I had the pleasure of watching Daugherty Friday night, He stands six foot three and goes around 220. If he were to sign with a pro team tomorrow, he would not be the smallest QB in the leauge. I most definatley think he has a great shot at the Pros if he stays healthy.

[This message has been edited by PPHSfan (edited September 16, 2002).]

slpybear the bullfan
09-16-2002, 10:47 PM
Yeah, he will probably go to tech, hit the weights a couple of years and take the helm as a Junior.

I guess I will learn to throw tortillas now.

Go Bulls... uh... and Red Raiders too!

slpybear

PPHSfan
09-16-2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan:
Yeah, he will probably go to tech, hit the weights a couple of years and take the helm as a Junior.

I guess I will learn to throw tortillas now.

Go Bulls... uh... and Red Raiders too!

Don't be surprised to see Daugherty getting quite a few reps in as a Freshman.
slpybear

slpybear the bullfan
09-16-2002, 11:49 PM
I wouldn't be suprised at that.

My only info on it comes from a good friend. He says behind the current QB who is a senior, they a have a pretty good junior quarterback. I figured in one or two years then PD should be starting at TT.

I hope he does well and goes on to play Pro ball. It would be nice to have another Bridgeport Bull hit the pros.

slpybear

cajun1
09-17-2002, 05:56 PM
QB Leaders for 3A:

Phillip Daugherty, Bridgeport
66-96-1 971yrds 14TD
N/A Rushing N/A

Chandler Dane, Decatur
40-68-5 721yrds 3TD
N/A Rushing N/A

Jake McDougle, Wills Point
39-72-2 703yrds 5TD
27-239 Rushing 2TD

Does anyone have the stats for the rushing on Chandler and Daugherty?

These three QB's will have good numbers by the end of the season!!!

tigerfan1
09-19-2002, 09:57 AM
Hey Cajun 1...sounds like your only interested in stats and individual awards...that kind of thinking is what gets teams beat...you cant judge the best qb only by stats...sure that helps, but the qb. that can lead his team to victory is the qb. that
is the right choice...and also,,what if that qb goes down with an injury in the first quarter of a playoff game...what then...i sure hope wills point has another qb. that has gotten some quality snaps during the year that can come in and lead his team...because if not,,,so long wills point,,your beat...i bet mcdougle is a team player and not a stat man...from what i have seen....just a thought

cajun1
09-19-2002, 12:51 PM
I agree Jake is a team player and he is there for the team! I can't say that for the back up QB from Robert E. Lee and the younger QB will not see any playing time this year unless the score is way out there.
I do agree with you......

wpgrad
09-19-2002, 04:55 PM
I agree totally tigerfan1 but the only question I have is why the backup qb gets snaps on the second possession of the third quarter. Especially in close games such as Lindale and Gilmer and also after the first possession of the second half when McDougle has led the team to another score. I am all for giving the backup qb playing time but that does not seem like the right time to do it especially when we have the weakest district in the state and should win by at least 40 pts. in each game. why not put him in then? Well I guess if everybody got to be the coach then the team would be perfect. YEAH RIGHT!

PurpleTiger
09-19-2002, 07:15 PM
Can't go wrong with a quarterback by the name of Ricky Joe Meeks. Mount Vernon fans had a scare last week when he went down on a late hit from Hooks in the second quarter. I believe it was only a strain though and I hope he makes it back this week. Has already committed to SMU. Passed for 700 yards and ran for 100. Seems from the stands that he commands his team pretty well too.

The One
09-19-2002, 10:38 PM
There is not a question that its Daughtery from Bridgeport. I dont think I am alone out on a limb when I say he is the best in the state!

tigerfan1
09-20-2002, 07:56 AM
wpgrad, you sound like you are not seeing what is best for the team...lets see...if your backup qb. gets reps against the weak teams in district and only in the second half or 4th quarter...well now..that doesnt quite compare to the level of play that he might have to get in full time....i dont think that mop up duty will get a qb ready for a playoff game......pressure situations are probably the only thing that can get a qb. ready to compete...

cajun1
09-20-2002, 11:29 AM
tigerfan1 understand what you are saying but, is it alright to put a back up QB in when the game is that close on the line?
We have seen what this Back up QB can do and
he has not proven anything to me yet...I will say he is a damn good receiver and DB!!!
I Would think they would be getting next years QB ready! these boys know him and they know what he can do but, that is another story...

Old Cardinal
09-20-2002, 12:06 PM
I think passing stats are being use too much as a gage in choosing an outstanding QB. Yes, Bridgeport has an excellent passing game. I have watched hundreds of teams that lived and died throwing all the time and none of them ever reach the Championships. Someone along the way has a good interception response and a ball control offense. I would guess than the Port Arthur Yellowjackets has the best passing attack ever, with Gary Hammond(QB) and Cotton Speyer as the premier receiver-even that team did not win State! I watched Ennis win the Championship over West Orange-Stark and they threw the ball more that most State Champions. But they also ran the ball very well. Its the QB's, like Sinton's and Jasper's that don't press the pass if there is a possibility of an interception: that can tuck and scoot and scramble for big yardage- that are the better choice.

PPHSfan
09-20-2002, 03:06 PM
I would tend to agree with you except for one little flaw in your theory when it comes to Daugherty. He has thrown the ball 99 times thusfar this year and has only been intercepted once, and has 14 TD's and almost a thousand yrds in those 99 attempts. I would play someone like him on my team if he threw five interceptions per hundred passes if he were gonna put those other numbers up with them.

slpybear the bullfan
09-20-2002, 11:37 PM
I would disagree with Passing teams not winning championships.

Didn't Marcus win one just a few years ago passing the ball?

slpybear

The One
09-20-2002, 11:41 PM
Thats an old saying and if you look at how many coaches now days that are going from run oriented offenses to passing offenses then I would say that old philosphy is just that, OLD!