08-26-2005, 09:09 PM
Talk about exclamation point from LF...

new score Los Fresnos 45 - PI 6 3rd:eek:

marlin fan
08-26-2005, 09:12 PM
Why is P.I. playing a 5a team???

Ray_BearKat
08-26-2005, 09:19 PM
PI and Los Frensos are a few miles apart and have had a rivalry for decades ever since both schools were very small...as of lately Los Fresnos has been growing very rapidly and the school enrollment increased very fast...they were moved up to 5A last realignment unexpectedly and are probably playing their last game till they get closer in size...

SintonFan
08-26-2005, 09:45 PM
Update?

Ray_BearKat
08-27-2005, 12:59 AM
Los Fresnos 52 Port Isabel 6:eek: :eek:

footballgal
08-27-2005, 01:06 AM
Sorry Ozzy, I missed this thread, I posted another one;

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33020

BTW, this was the 58th meeting between the two and was probably the last.

...and this year was not a battle, but more of massacre.

footballgal
08-27-2005, 01:16 AM
Falcons Soar

Los Fresnos grabs overwhelming victory over Port Isabel

By MIKE GONZALEZ
The Brownsville Herald

August 27, 2005 — If Friday night’s game is any indication of how the 2005 season will go for Los Fresnos, head coach Scott Ford and the Falcon faithful are in for a joyride.

Los Fresnos (1-0 overall) kicked off the season in dominant fashion with a 52-6 route of rival Port Isabel in the 58th edition of the “Battle of Highway 100.”

The numbers weren’t all that impressive, but the Falcons controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. The offensive line created gaping holes while the defensive line had constant penetration, frustrating the Tarpon offense. Most importantly, it was Los Fresnos’ tempo all night long.

The onslaught began in the fifth play from scrimmage when Falcons linebacker Russel Roberts recovered a Tarpon fumble and rumbled for a 40-yard touchdown for a quick 7-0 lead. It was a lead Los Fresnos would never lose. The turnover was one of four for Port Isabel, which led to 17 Los Fresnos points — all in the first half.

On offense, Los Fresnos looked sharp led by running back Luis Campos. The 2004 all-metro Newcomer of the year rushed for 88 yards on only four carries with a 22.0 yard per carry average and one touchdown.

The junior scored on a 71-yard scamper in the first quarter on the Falcons’ first play from scrimmage. That put Los Fresnos up 14-0. The Falcons got two more touchdowns from wide receiver Chris Garza (4 receptions, 53 yards and 1TD) and a 4-yard plunge by running back Venus Martinez (9 rushes, 41 yards and 1TD) set up by Erbey Perez’s interception at the 5:23 mark. By quarter’s end, Los Fresnos had a commanding 28-6 lead.

In the second quarter, the big plays continued as quarterback Brandon Kretz (7-of-12, 134 yards, 2 TDs) gave the Falcons a 35-6 lead on a 69-yard keeper. A 32-yard field goal by Pablo Degollado gave Los Fresnos a commanding 38-6 lead at halftime.

Things went from bad to worse for the Tarpons in the second half when Esai Rivera took the opening kickoff and outraced Port Isabel players for an 85-yard touchdown to give Los Fresnos a 45-6 lead. Kretz threw his final score to Chris Garza on a slant midway through the third period.

The offense, defense and special teams all contributed to the victory. The Falcons and Ford hope this game may perhaps set the tempo for what could be a memorable 2005 season.

“I sure hope so,” Ford said. “It’s definitely going to be a good 32-5A race. I hope this is a building block. There’s was no doubt in my mind we were ready to play football.”

Port Isabel head coach Monty Stumbaugh was impressed with the way Los Fresnos executed as a football team.

“Offensively, we knew they were going to be tough,” Stumbaugh said. “They put it on us pretty good tonight.”

The Tarpons were led by full back Ralph Valdez, who rushed for 107 yards and the team’s only touchdown. The junior’s score was a remarkable 80-yard run as he broke a number of tackles before he marched down the sideline. Unfortunately for the back, he left with a pulled hamstring as he was seen on crutches after the game.

In what could have been the last meeting between the two teams, the Falcons gained a 31-26-1 advantage in the series that dates back to 1950. Los Fresnos has won the last nine games in the rivalry.

mgonzalez@brownsvilleherald.com