PDA

View Full Version : Navasota Preview

KL3
08-26-2005, 01:04 PM
This is from the Bryan-College Station eagle.........

Ex-Consolidated standout Fedora will spread out, open Rattler offense

By LARRY BOWEN

Eagle Staff Writer

Lee Fedora wants to build on Navasota's football tradition, and the new coach's blueprint will have the Rattlers spreading out and opening up on offense.

Fedora, the former A&M Consolidated star, takes over the Navasota program after successful coaching stints at Rogers and Waco Robinson. Fedora replaced Dan Burk, who left to become head coach at The Colony after leading the Rattlers to the state playoffs in each of the last three years.

Sadly for the Rattlers, each of the three seasons ended with Navasota losing its first playoff game.

"Every kid I've sat down and met with wants to get in the playoffs and get past the first round," Fedora said. "Our first goal is to make the playoffs and then go as far as we can.

"I know the senior class that graduated [last spring] had some great players, but these kids have stepped it up and said they're going to keep the tradition at Navasota going. We want to return to that tradition ... not get beat in the first round, but win a lot of games and go a long way."

The Rattlers will go a different direction on offense, switching from a ground-oriented attack to what Fedora calls a one-back, no-huddle, shotgun offense.

"We're a wide-open, no-huddle offense," Fedora said. "We signal everything from the sideline. To me it's like playing backyard football, and our kids are very excited about it."

The changes on defense will be less drastic, but the Rattlers have had plenty to learn, especially because Fedora and his staff were hired in late March.

"There's been some frustrating practices, trying to learn everything that's being thrown at them." Fedora said. "I've been very pleased with the kids. Their work ethic is unbelievable. Once they pick up the things we've put in, we'll keep adding a little bit more and a little bit more."

Fedora said he would like a balance between passes and runs, and the move to a more wide-open attack doesn't change the importance of strong line play.

"Our offense moves if our offensive line does a great job, and we've got some kids that have done outstanding there," Fedora said.

Navasota's front line will be led by sophomore center Neil Kaspar, junior tackle Chris Acosta and junior guard Jeremy Lowery.

Junior quarterback Tanner Shiflett will direct the offense, replacing two-year starter Scott Martin. Fedora said Shiflett was impressive during his first outing in a scrimmage against Marlin.

"Tanner Shiflett has an outstanding arm," Fedora said. "He completed a high percentage of his passes against Marlin."

Shiflett will have a couple of talented targets in wingback Tracy Rush, who is 6-foot-3 and runs the 40-yard dash in 4.35 seconds, and split end Kerry Wheatfall.

On defense, the Rattlers possess a college prospect in T.J. Glenn, a 220-pound end. Other defensive standouts for the Rattlers include junior linebacker Ocie Sweed, a cousin of former Brenham star and current Texas Longhorn receiver Limas Sweed, along with senior tackle Charles Wilson and defensive backs Zerrick Lowery and Wheatfall.

The Rattlers were picked to finish third in District 20-3A by Texas Football, which ranked Navasota behind Bellville and Rice Consolidated. Fedora listed his team first, followed by Bellville, Sealy and Rice.

"I feel like we ought be up in the front, and that's the attitude we're going to take," Fedora said. "I know there's some outstanding teams in our district, but I don't think there's going to be any game when we don't have athletes as good as the people we play."