congratulations and good luck tonight

RiverRat19
08-26-2005, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Fish's mom
JV Score Ingleside 22- Bishop 0

Ingleside doesn't have a freshman team

Varsity tonight in Ingleside @7:30

Go Mustangs

Not to be critical, but how does a school the size of Ingleside consistently have 8th Grade A & B Football teams one year and once that class goes to HS, they no longer have enough players in the class to make one team (Freshman)? I understand in the cases of smaller schools who scramble to make one 8th G team not having a Frosh team the next year, but Ingleside seems to have the numbers.... what's happening? Too many straight hoopseters or baseballers entering HS?

IHStangFan
08-26-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by RiverRat19
Not to be critical, but how does a school the size of Ingleside consistently have 8th Grade A & B Football teams one year and once that class goes to HS, they no longer have enough players in the class to make one team (Freshman)? I understand in the cases of smaller schools who scramble to make one 8th G team not having a Frosh team the next year, but Ingleside seems to have the numbers.... what's happening? Too many straight hoopseters or baseballers entering HS? because they all play at the JV level coming into HS....the whole "next level" thing...as there isnt much diff. between 8th grade and Fish ball, whereas there IS a diff. between 8th and JV ball. prepares them better for varsity in my opinion.

Fish's mom
08-26-2005, 11:28 AM
Not to be critical, but how does a school the size of Ingleside consistently have 8th Grade A & B Football teams one year and once that class goes to HS, they no longer have enough players in the class to make one team (Freshman)? I understand in the cases of smaller schools who scramble to make one 8th G team not having a Frosh team the next year, but Ingleside seems to have the numbers.... what's happening? Too many straight hoopseters or baseballers entering HS?

8th may start with A&B team but don't always finish season with 2 teams usually narrows down to one because of grades, attitudes etc.

This year they could have probably had a Frosh team but combined JV and Freshman like they ended up having to last year, start them playing at the next level and together to prepare for something that mostly likely going to happen anyway.

Our numbers aren't bad as far as underclassmen, it's upperclassmen numbers that are low. So It's really like they're building a program. Our Varsity is a young team with experience because they had to move up. And they are talented. I believe only 6-7 seniors...........with only 3-4 as starters.

Combining made the teams larger with less play time but made the sideline deeper if needed. Well, that's my opinion.

big daddy russ
08-26-2005, 11:43 AM
...schools who scramble to make one 8th G team...
The schools who have G teams are large 5A schools. Ingleside's 600 kids aren't enough to have a team in the "Circus Midget" division.:D

RiverRat19
08-26-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
The schools who have G teams are large 5A schools. Ingleside's 600 kids aren't enough to have a team in the "Circus Midget" division.:D
I did not mean "G Team" as in A, B, C, D, so on. Yes, one would only see that in a 5A school. I meant 8th Grade.... Sorry for the confusion.

If the issue is numbers, there's only so much one can do about that. If there are only 10 seniors in the FB program, the Juniors and probably many Sophmores will be forced to step up and play for the Varsity. This would also probably call the Freshmen up at the JV level....

If the Freshmen are being comingled with the JV squad, they are losing a year of experience as a group. When they get 10 games as a Freshman squad, you have opportunities for kids to play who won't get to play at the JV level. Those are the kids who don't make it to their senior year (without a Frosh team) in the program and could probably help out. There's no shame in a senior who only gets to play Varsity ball as a senior. Many successful programs at the 3A and higher level have players like that who only contribute that year. Teams that are deep have that problem- and it's a good one to have IMO!

I get the "next level" thing but Freshmen are just that, fresh. They need a more nuturing than your upperclassmen and in regards to football, and a Freshman football team (with a full 10 game schedule) does that. I can almost guarantee that the top 40 teams in 3A (numbers willing) have Freshmen teams. Conincidence? I think not....

IHStangFan
08-26-2005, 01:18 PM
I did not mean "G Team" as in A, B, C, D, so on. Yes, one would only see that in a 5A school. I meant 8th Grade.... Sorry for the confusion.

If the issue is numbers, there's only so much one can do about that. If there are only 10 seniors in the FB program, the Juniors and probably many Sophmores will be forced to step up and play for the Varsity. This would also probably call the Freshmen up at the JV level....

If the Freshmen are being comingled with the JV squad, they are losing a year of experience as a group. When they get 10 games as a Freshman squad, you have opportunities for kids to play who won't get to play at the JV level. Those are the kids who don't make it to their senior year in the program and could probably help out. There's no shame in a senior who only gets to play Varsity ball as a senior. Many successful programs at the 3A and higher level have players like that.

I get the "next level" thing but Freshmen are just that, fresh. They need a more nuturing than your upperclassmen and in regards to football, and a Freshman football team (with a full 10 game schedule) does that. I can almost guarantee that the top 40 teams in 3A (numbers willing) have Freshmen teams. Conincidence? I think not.... hell, Ingleside has SEVERAL players that play both ways, thats theyre main weakness...lack of depth...plenty of talent in the skilled positions...just lack of depth everywhere else. they had a couple of freshmen on varsity last year.

RiverRat19
08-26-2005, 01:23 PM

If the Freshmen are being comingled with the JV squad, they are losing a year of experience as a group. When they get 10 games as a Freshman squad, you have opportunities for kids to play who won't get to play at the JV level. Those are the kids who don't make it to their senior year (without a Frosh team) in the program and could probably help out. There's no shame in a senior who only gets to play Varsity ball as a senior. Many successful programs at the 3A and higher level have players like that who only contribute that year. Teams that are deep have that problem- and it's a good one to have IMO!

Depth, depth, and more depth... Wanna have a team that can go deep in the playoffs, have some talent and be deep.... Only so much one can do about it, but the more sub-varsity teams there are, the better chance a program has to build depth.

District303aPastPlayer
08-26-2005, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
hell, Ingleside has SEVERAL players that play both ways, thats theyre main weakness...lack of depth...plenty of talent in the skilled positions...just lack of depth everywhere else. they had a couple of freshmen on varsity last year.

this isnt meant to offend, but you can tell in the 4th quarter... their players show signs of fatigue of the grueling season... while larger schools with a set O and D team... doesnt...

IHStangFan
08-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Depth, depth, and more depth... Wanna have a team that can go deep in the playoffs, have some talent and be deep.... Only so much one can do about it, but the more sub-varsity teams there are, the better chance a program has to build depth. i halfway agree...but when you can bearly field a varsity team w/out the fish/sophs, its hard to have a fish squad. ive been saying for years though, Ingleside should have a pop-warner league, get more kids intersted at a young age. perfect example of your lack of depth last year was when we played Sinton. we were competitive, until the 2nd half when we began to tire....Sinton threw in fresh shirts...and walked away from us.

RiverRat19
08-26-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
this isnt meant to offend, but you can tell in the 4th quarter... their players show signs of fatigue of the grueling season... while larger schools with a set O and D team... doesnt...

True. And if are 2 deep on each side of the ball (44 players) then there's an even better chance to have a good season.

IHStangFan
08-26-2005, 01:27 PM
this isnt meant to offend, but you can tell in the 4th quarter... their players show signs of fatigue of the grueling season... while larger schools with a set O and D team... doesnt... exactly!! like IHS -vs- Sinton last year...perfect example. Our QB also played LB, etc.

RiverRat19
08-26-2005, 01:30 PM
i halfway agree...but when you can bearly field a varsity team w/out the fish/sophs, its hard to have a fish squad. ive been saying for years though, Ingleside should have a pop-warner league, get more kids intersted at a young age. perfect example of your lack of depth last year was when we played Sinton. we were competitive, until the 2nd half when we began to tire....Sinton threw in fresh shirts...and walked away from us.

There you go. If I were a HC/AD, I wouldn't mind having an 18 player Frosh team and a 22 player JV squad as long as I already had 35-40 on Varsity and didn't need anymore bodies at the Big Show. Even though you're thin at sub-varsity, they are playing games, getting experience and hopefully getting better and ready for the next level. If you don't have those Varsity spots already filled, then you have no choice than to combine.

District303aPastPlayer
08-26-2005, 01:32 PM
exactly!! like IHS -vs- Sinton last year...perfect example. Our QB also played LB, etc.

exactly what iw anted to say.. without saying it..

IHStangFan
08-26-2005, 01:32 PM
There you go. If I were a HC/AD, I wouldn't mind having an 18 player Frosh team and a 22 player JV squad as long as I already had 35-40 on Varsity and didn't need anymore bodies at the Big Show. Even though you're thin at sub-varsity, they are playing games, getting experience and hopefully getting better and ready for the next level. If you don't have those Varsity spots already filled, then you have no choice than to combine. yup, and thats usually the case there at IHS.....HAVE to use the fish/jv standouts to fill spots on varsity....which depletes the fish team altogether because when they move the JV players up to varsity....then in turn move the fish players up to fill JV spots.

IHStangFan
08-26-2005, 01:34 PM
exactly what iw anted to say.. without saying it.. yup, we started out looking like we had a shot at yall....till it was apparent that we were tiring and you guys had fresh shirts anytime someone needed a break. all part of Sinton's great program/team......not only do they have talent..but the talent is 3 deep at every position.

Fish's mom
08-26-2005, 01:54 PM
yup, we started out looking like we had a shot at yall....till it was apparent that we were tiring and you guys had fresh shirts anytime someone needed a break. all part of Sinton's great program/team......not only do they have talent..but the talent is 3 deep at every position.

Which is the purpose of going with just two teams. I know there are few playing both waysthis year but they have the depth in order that they won't have to be out there every play this year.

And no Pop Warner, but There is a football League in Ingleside, has been for awhile, my son played on it from 5-7th grade and would had played earlier just didn't realize it was there. Start them young, even flag for the little ones. That's why lower grades numbers are higher. Sparked interest in them young. They play Sinton, GP , taft leagues etc............

RiverRat19
08-26-2005, 02:41 PM
yup, and thats usually the case there at IHS.....HAVE to use the fish/jv standouts to fill spots on varsity....which depletes the fish team altogether because when they move the JV players up to varsity....then in turn move the fish players up to fill JV spots.

So its a vicious cycle: No Freshman team means that only the studs of the class get playing time (on JV or Varsity) and the rest of the class may or may not get time. Slowly these kids drop out of the program or go to other sports exclusively. Then when that class is in their senior season, only the studs are left with no one else from that class to fill in...... The only way to fix it is to spend one or two years with a thin Varsity, build the sub-varsity with the expectation that eventually your numbers will hold, and try to get more kids to stay in FB from JH to HS..... I guess.

IHStangFan
08-26-2005, 02:50 PM
So its a vicious cycle: No Freshman team means that only the studs of the class get playing time (on JV or Varsity) and the rest of the class may or may not get time. Slowly these kids drop out of the program or go to other sports exclusively. Then when that class is in their senior season, only the studs are left with no one else from that class to fill in...... The only way to fix it is to spend one or two years with a thin Varsity, build the sub-varsity with the expectation that eventually your numbers will hold, and try to get more kids to stay in FB from JH to HS..... I guess. DING DING DING DING!!!! We've got a winner! its been that way there as long as i can remember. My father was starting QB in Ingleside in 74-75, and he said it was that way even back then.

RiverRat19
08-26-2005, 02:58 PM
DING DING DING DING!!!! We've got a winner! its been that way there as long as i can remember. My father was starting QB in Ingleside in 74-75, and he said it was that way even back then.

Then divine interviention is the only answer..... :eek:

And I wonder how the Naval base closing will affect their numbers.....

IHStangFan
08-26-2005, 03:00 PM
Then divine interviention is the only answer..... :eek:

And I wonder how the Naval base closing will affect their numbers..... i was wondering that myself.......let us go to 2A...PLEASE let us go to 2A, LOL :D

Fish's mom
08-26-2005, 03:02 PM
Shouldn't effect High School football numbers too much. Not too many with military families at that level.
Elem yes

IHStangFan
08-26-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Fish's mom
Shouldn't effect High School football numbers too much. Not too many with military families at that level.
Elem yes well thats good to know, but i guess we'll see though.

big daddy russ
08-28-2005, 09:44 PM
I played Fish ball back in '94. We had a team through the mid-90's, back when we were competing for the playoffs year-in, year-out, but interest waned after we started slipping. Crazy thing is the most talented team Ingleside's fielded in the past 15 years or so went 2-8 (the c/o 2000... '99 football season).

GreenMonster
08-28-2005, 09:52 PM
good job Ingledinks!! :clap:

RiverRat19
08-28-2005, 09:55 PM
Crazy thing is the most talented team Ingleside's fielded in the past 15 years or so went 2-8 (the c/o 2000... '99 football season).

I heard that team had some skills.... Got a friend from Woodsboro who keeps talking about the "athletes" they had while he went to school there. I asked him how far the FB teams went in the playoffs and he says: "We went 2-8 or 3-7."

Sad but true, talent is not an automatic ticket to success- in life or football. Gotta build a strong foundation of work ethic and fundamentals and then expand from there. Moderately talented individuals who do this are successful and highly skilled participants who are fundamental can reach the highest levels of achievement.

99IHSMustang
08-28-2005, 10:19 PM
I heard that team had some skills.... Got a friend from Woodsboro who keeps talking about the "athletes" they had while he went to school there. I asked him how far the FB teams went in the playoffs and he says: "We went 2-8 or 3-7."

Sad but true, talent is not an automatic ticket to success- in life or football. Gotta build a strong foundation of work ethic and fundamentals and then expand from there. Moderately talented individuals who do this are successful and highly skilled participants who are fundamental can reach the highest levels of achievement.

I was on the 99 Team and we had the athletes but not the heart. No one wanted to play for the Coach. It really made me mad, but even the team Captain didn't care anymore.

big daddy russ
08-29-2005, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by 99IHSMustang
I was on the 99 Team and we had the athletes but not the heart. No one wanted to play for the Coach. It really made me mad, but even the team Captain didn't care anymore.
Was the Captain your senior year PC? He could've played D-I if he would've gotten looks and had a little more heart. It's tough to find guys who are six foot whatever (what was he, 6-3?) and run in the 4.6 range.

99IHSMustang
08-29-2005, 06:54 AM
Was the Captain your senior year PC? He could've played D-I if he would've gotten looks and had a little more heart. It's tough to find guys who are six foot whatever (what was he, 6-3?) and run in the 4.6 range.

Yes it was Big Daddy Russ. If I am not mistaken, I think his dad had past away that year also so that didn't help. He was about 6-2 and he was one of the fasted guys I ever saw run that was as well built as he was. It was a shame for that type of athleticism go to waist. I haven't seen him since I graduated. I wonder how he is doing?

District303aPastPlayer
08-29-2005, 07:47 AM
my dad runs that little league football someone mentioned earlier. The teams are in Sinton, Taft, GP, Ingleside, AP, and i believe Odem is now starting up theirs too... so it will be back to six teams.. Back when i played in it... Rockport had their own team, then they started a city league, in which time Beeville brought in a team... then they left and i cannot remember for the life of me if another team filled that void... i am sure one did, because we used to have six games in one day... 2 age divisions... 3 games, six teams...

big daddy russ
08-30-2005, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by 99IHSMustang
Yes it was Big Daddy Russ. If I am not mistaken, I think his dad had past away that year also so that didn't help. He was about 6-2 and he was one of the fasted guys I ever saw run that was as well built as he was. It was a shame for that type of athleticism go to waist. I haven't seen him since I graduated. I wonder how he is doing?
I've hung out with him a couple of times... mostly through Prez. Me and Prez were good buds back in HS and him and Paul are best friends. He's doing OK as far as I can tell. Last I saw him (it's been about a year) he was still in school and working full time.