PDA

View Full Version : What is the greatest 3a state game ever!

LeonJr
08-25-2005, 10:33 PM
This ought to be good

LH Panther Mom
08-25-2005, 10:38 PM
IMO, Jasper vs Gilmer, 2004. :eek: :eek:

lobo12
08-25-2005, 10:40 PM
greenwood vs bandera 2002 was a good one

Gobbla2001
08-25-2005, 11:43 PM
I gotta go woith Greenwood/Bandera as well... though it was just a few years ago and does not carry as much clout as far as 'history' goes, it seems to have been a GREAT game...

I myself really enjoyed the '99 meeting between Sealy and Commerce up at Texas Stadium, what a great game that was...

And as sad as I am to think about this, Abilene Wylie's last second field-goal to beat Cuero 17-14 may have made that one of the greatest ever...

sinfan75
08-26-2005, 04:48 AM
SLC vs. Vernon. Listened to it on the radio. Can't imagine what it was like bein there. Closer to home Sinton vs. Hitchcock.

j_dog
08-26-2005, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Well, for sure, they scored the most points ever in a championship game at any classification (or so I heard at the time)! :)

Owen B
08-26-2005, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I myself really enjoyed the '99 meeting between Sealy and Commerce up at Texas Stadium, what a great game that was...
That was a great one, alright. Another was the '95 game between those two. In the closing seconds of the game, Commerce scored a TD, making the score 21-20, Sealy. There was no overtime then, so kicking the PAT would have resulted in a co-championship, but coach and players wanted to go for the outright championship. Two point try failed, and Sealy won.

gobblerfan02
08-26-2005, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Owen B
That was a great one, alright. Another was the '95 game between those two. In the closing seconds of the game, Commerce scored a TD, making the score 21-20, Sealy. There was no overtime then, so kicking the PAT would have resulted in a co-championship, but coach and players wanted to go for two. Two point try failed, and Sealy won.

Wow, now I remember that one, classic indeed!

kaorder1999
08-26-2005, 10:37 AM
the forney-lagrange state championship wasn't bad

Maroon87
08-26-2005, 10:41 AM
G-P fans still cringe about this one...

In 1971, Plano beat G-P (they were both 3A then) in the state finals 21-20. G-P missed a field goal late in the game that would have won it.:eek:

BTEXDAD
08-26-2005, 12:21 PM
Sealy/Commerce game of 99 would get my vote for games during my "time". I didn't see the 95 game that was referred to.
I did hear and read of the G-P/Plano game in 1971. GP had beaten Brenham in semifinals week before if I remember correctly. Brenham was 3A at that time also.
The Bellville oldtimers (older than me) still talk about the Bellville/Denver City game in 1960. Won by Denver City 26-21. One of my coaches in high school had played on that Bellville team. Said Denver City had set all kinds of scoring records and was like a 20 pt favorite going into game.
If I remember what I heard second hand, apparently Bellville led almost entire game. Denver City scored late, recovered onside kick and scored again to win.
If somebody knows specifics, please post.
I realize this isn't Bellville football thread, but now I'm interested in game history.

Great thread, LeonJr.

LE FAN
08-26-2005, 12:26 PM
All the games mentioned are good ones. I guess we could throw in the Cuero-SLC game i think it was in 93. Sure was a good game

fisher67
08-26-2005, 04:38 PM
I think the Region IV final in 2003 between Port Isabel & Rice was the best game I have ever seen. It went to 4 overtimes before P.I. won 63-61. Man what a game!!!! ( I still believe Rice made the 2 pt. conversion!)

KTJ
08-26-2005, 04:44 PM
Gainesville - Burnet

Burnet was promoting their "state championship pancake victory breakfast" before and during halftime of the game.

I wonder if they ever had that? :thinking:

:D

mustang04
08-26-2005, 04:50 PM
either Sweetwater vs. Decatur in the playoffs of 02 or the following week when we played Greenwood....

im not saying those cuz im a homer, ive seen alot of games, and those 2 we traded hits like no other

footballgal
08-27-2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by fisher67
I think the Region IV final in 2003 between Port Isabel & Rice was the best game I have ever seen. It went to 4 overtimes before P.I. won 63-61. Man what a game!!!! ( I still believe Rice made the 2 pt. conversion!)

Just curious which 2 point conversion, I have the game on DVD, I can reveiw it.

NateDawg39
08-27-2005, 07:25 PM
I'd have to go with Jasper and Gilmers offensive battle last year in the State game.

GreenMonster
08-27-2005, 09:36 PM
1970 2A (which is the current 3A) Iowa Park vs. Klien. Played to a tie in an era before overtime. UIL declared them Co-Champs. I believe it was 14-14.

Leopards,class of 75
08-27-2005, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Gainesville - Burnet

Burnet was promoting their "state championship pancake victory breakfast" before and during halftime of the game.

I wonder if they ever had that? :thinking: A very good game!

Gp83
08-27-2005, 10:25 PM
Greatest 3A State game ever was the 21-20 loss in 1971 by Gp. All Gp needed to do was make the extra point after a TD and Gp woulda been 1971 Co-champions. Extra point went wide a Plano won the game with seconds to go.

wildkat0507
08-27-2005, 11:21 PM
I would have to say Jasper/Gilmer game last year. I was listening to it on the radio about all of the comments and yards. wow wat a close game.

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-28-2005, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by sinfan75
SLC vs. Vernon. Listened to it on the radio. Can't imagine what it was like bein there. Closer to home Sinton vs. Hitchcock.

SLC - Vernon played twice in three years. It was not for the state game but rather for the regional championship. Both games were awesome. Vernon took the 1990 game and won state. SLC took the other and of course they won state. The game in Bedford is always mentioned as one of the best highschool football games ever played. SLC won that one. Vernon fumbled inside of 2 min as they were going in for the goahead TD. Fumbled at the goal line.

Thanks for giving the Lions props though.

Chris Hart
08-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
SLC - Vernon played twice in three years. It was not for the state game but rather for the regional championship. Both games were awesome. Vernon took the 1990 game and won state. SLC took the other and of course they won state. The game in Bedford is always mentioned as one of the best highschool football games ever played. SLC won that one. Vernon fumbled inside of 2 min as they were going in for the goahead TD. Fumbled at the goal line.

Thanks for giving the Lions props though. The Reg I Championship the year between them two games, against Burnet, was a classic as well. Vernon had 3 teams in a row that were state champion caliber, but only came away with the one title. Vernon and SLC in 92 were just so superior to the rest of 3A. That 92 Reg I Championship pitted the two best 3A teams of the 90's IMO.

injuredinmelee
08-28-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Gainesville - Burnet

I wonder if they ever had that? :thinking:

I was at that game and sitting on the Burnet Side. After Shipley returned the opening kickoff they were planning the pancake celebration and the parade. It was sort of nice to watch em eat crow.

Hupernikomen
08-28-2005, 01:04 PM
Only 3A state game I have seen was last year, and if they all are like it I won't miss another...

Chris Hart
08-28-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I was at that game and sitting on the Burnet Side. After Shipley returned the opening kickoff they were planning the pancake celebration and the parade. It was sort of nice to watch em eat crow. I know most loved it when Burnet lost that game. However, the pancake breakfast was planned a week before the game, win or lose, it wasn't a victory breakfast, lol. And yes it still took place, in honor of a great Burnet team. I didn't attend, I don't do pancakes.....:)

Specklebelly
08-28-2005, 02:36 PM
2003, Rice Cons vs. Port Isabel - It was the longest and highest scoring playoff game in UIL history. I almost had to go to the hospital afterwards it was so tense.

Old Cardinal
08-28-2005, 02:53 PM
I think that we all have to admit that when our individual teams won state it had to be the best game of all :D
In 1966 Bridge City defeated a stout McKinney team. During the whole first 3 quarters McKinney fans chanted loudly "We are #1, We are #1" As the Cardinals built an astounding lead in the early part of the 4th quarter, some child on the BC side started chanting "Who's #1" to resounding glee the BC fans joined in with "Who's #1" to the dismay of the now quiet McKinney fans.

texasjeremy
08-28-2005, 04:05 PM
I also vote for the '95 game, I was there at Baylor's Floydy Casey Stadium to see Sealy stuff Commerce on the 2 point conversion to win it.

sinfan75
08-28-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Gp83
Greatest 3A State game ever was the 21-20 loss in 1971 by Gp. All Gp needed to do was make the extra point after a TD and Gp woulda been 1971 Co-champions. Extra point went wide a Plano won the game with seconds to go. That was a 3 pointer Akins was tryin for not a pa. Marty Akins didn't miss pa's

Gp83
08-28-2005, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
That was a 3 pointer Akins was tryin for not a pa. Marty Akins didn't miss pa's

Ahhh...I heard it was an extra point.

Adidas410s
08-28-2005, 09:26 PM
the Wylie/Cuero last year was a great one because you had a little bit of everything in this game. Huge 4th down stops deep inside the opposing territory, important special teams play, clutch gamebreaking type plays by both teams as well as hard hitting defense by both teams.

That being said my 2 favorite state games are Wylie/Gatesville in '00 because that was THE BEST defensive battle I have ever seen in 3A. You took two offenses with plenty of talent that could light anybody up for a lot of points and both defenses just said "no not today." It took two spectacular plays in the 2nd half by Gatesville to secure the victory. That and a relentless defense that held off Wylie's numerous scoring attempts once they had the lead.

My other favorite games were back-to-back in Forney/LaGrange and Celina/Garrison. The first because it was two very good football teams playing it down to the wire and the 2nd because it was a true offensive shootout and wasn't decided until Celina FINALLY stopped Garrison in the 4th quarter.

pantherpop
08-29-2005, 09:38 PM
Gilmer vs Jasper 2004. Wasn't there but I kept up with it on the internet. Sounded like an unbelievable game.

Tackle75
08-31-2005, 05:50 PM
The 2000 game between Liberty and Hardin Jefferson. Liberty was 4-4 coming into the game and HJ was 8-0 . Liberty played tough the entire game,

Until finally it was tied at the end of the 4th. There were 3 overtimes. until Finally HJ missed the 2 point conversion and Liberty won, and was able to secure the 2nd seed in the playoffs.

A great game and my favorite football game that I ever remember being a part of.

Ranger05
08-31-2005, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
either Sweetwater vs. Decatur in the playoffs of 02 or the following week when we played Greenwood....

im not saying those cuz im a homer, ive seen alot of games, and those 2 we traded hits like no other Yea that game in lubbock in 02 was a great one

Jody
09-01-2005, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

Absolutely right on the money. What a game and two awsome QB's. I tell everyone, I have never seen a QB like Gilmer had....at any level.

blaster
09-01-2005, 07:50 AM
Gotta Go with the Vernon - SLC game in 1990.

But, to be homer for a bit, the 2001 Bridgeport - Kennedale game in the Quarter Finals was a heck of a game!

LeonJr
09-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by blaster
Gotta Go with the Vernon - SLC game in 1990.

But, to be homer for a bit, the 2001 Bridgeport - Kennedale game in the Quarter Finals was a heck of a game!

Do you see any good games this year for the Bulls?

blaster
09-01-2005, 12:19 PM
We get Kennedale on 9-23 and the Battle of Big Sandy (Decatur) on 10-21. Both of those could be pretty good.....but we have lost two of our starting receivers due to injuries. One for 5 weeks and not sure on the other. That could hinder things a little being that they were both key players in last weeks victory.

pirateman98
09-01-2005, 01:11 PM
I think the best game I ever witnessed was back in '90 or '91 when Sinton played Crockett in the State Semi-finals. The first-half of that game Sinton was winning 14-0, but in the second-half Crockett went ahead 15-14 and won the game. We had a chance to win it in the last seconds of the game, but missed the field goal. It hit the right upright and bouced out. If I remember correctly, it was our star player, Eric Garza's birthday on that day. He was also the one who missed the field. It was a long cold night that night in Royal Memorial Stadium.