PDA

View Full Version : Bridgport's Colin Jones featured in FWST article...

slpybear the bullfan
08-25-2005, 12:27 PM
Nice article, thanks ST....

From yesterday...

====================

Plenty of run support

Bridgeport's vaunted passing game discovers powerful ally

By JOHN MILLER

STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

In terms of yards, it appears the pass-happy Bridgeport Bulls went to the run last season more than the past.

It was more of a case of running back Colin Jones making those numbers deceiving.

With the speed to break long runs at any time, Jones gave the Bulls their best rushing threat in years, and he has developed into an integral part of the pass-oriented Bridgeport offense.

"He's definitely the most talented guy that we had back there," Bridgeport coach Danny Henson said. "We've had some guys that did a lot of the same kinds of things as Colin, but they didn't have the speed to go with it. Our production is so much higher in our running game because we're getting so many big plays out of it."

Jones (6-foot, 190 pounds) put his blazing speed to use last season and helped the Bulls make the playoffs for the eighth time in the past nine seasons. He combined for more than 2,000 all-purpose yards with 1,655 on the ground, averaging 7.2 yards a carry, and 600 yards receiving. He also showed a knack for finding the end zone, scoring a combined 34 touchdowns, tops among returning players in the area, with 27 rushing and seven receiving

His performance helped earn several NCAA Division I offers including Purdue and Baylor, before he eventually settled on TCU.

Henson said the Bulls had a similar balance between the run and pass as in past seasons with quarterback Ryan Durban throwing for 2,208 yards and 16 touchdowns.

But Jones allowed Bridgeport to alter what it does with the running game. In the past, the Bulls relied on the passing game to spread out the defense, then would try to run primarily inside.

They still do that with Jones, but his speed enables them to also design running plays outside because he has the speed to turn the corner and break a long run.

And with his ability to catch the ball, he's also become a vital part of the passing game. He's the top returning receiver in receptions from last season with 44 catches.

"It's a good offensive scheme for me to run in," Jones said. "It really helps to spread the defense out and doesn't let them pile it up in the box. I'm able to see more of the field."

IN THE KNOW

Offensive standouts

Bridgeport running back Colin Jones combined for more than 2,200 yards and 34 touchdowns last season. But he wasn't the only returning player that put up big numbers last season. A run down of some of the area's top returning offensive players:

Pos. Player, school Class Key stats
WR Justice Baker, Granbury Senior 32 catches,
QB Jess Brown, Paschal Senior 900 yds rushing
RB Joe Gentry, Western Hills Senior 1,012 yds rushing
QB Jeremy Heatley, Breckenridge Senior 23 TD passing
WR Bart Johnson, Brownwood Senior 32 catches
RB Colin Jones, Bridgeport Senior 1,655 yds rushing
QB Jeff Jones, Arlington Heights Senior 1,200 yds passing
WR Colt Klifel, Glen Rose Senior 51 catches
QB Tyler Luttrell, Weatherford Senior 1,700 yds passing
WR Brent McElfresh, Stephenville Junior 36 catches
QB Andrew Mellencamp, Granbury Senior 11 TD passing
QB Roman Mercado, Castleberry Senior 12 TD passing
RB Jamall Organ, Brownwood Senior 22 TD rushing
QB Chaz Pair, Joshua Senior 982 yds. rushing
WR T.J. Peoples, Weatherford Senior 37 catches
QB Jevan Snead, Stephenville Senior 3,025 yds passing
RB Kelvin Thompson, Mineral Wells Senior 1,366 yds, 12 TD
RB Dudley Wier, Springtown Senior 1,360 yds rushing
RB Evan Woods, Arl. Hts. Junior 830 yds rushing

Bullaholic
08-25-2005, 01:16 PM
I think the press will be writing a lot about Colin Jones this year, slpy---he's the "real deal" for sure. You guys have got to allow me and ol' Slpy some "homer" posts now and then---