PDA

View Full Version : In the driver's seat - PI QB

footballgal
08-25-2005, 10:42 AM
In the driver's seat

Port Isabel quarterback Carr Griener ready to carry Tarpons
The Brownsville Herald
http://www.valleymorningstar.com/content/articles/2005/08/25/sports/sports1.jpg
Port Isabel quarterback Carr Griener takes a quick break from practice as he and the rest of the Tarpons prepare for the Los Fresnos Falcons on Friday.
By MIKE GONZALEZ
The Brownsville Herald

PORT ISABEL - In Port Isabel's option offense, the quarterback has been a key component to the Tarpons' success for the past three seasons.

Led by Gabriel Alvarez in 2002 and 2003, and Lando Ochoa in 2004, the Tarpons have advanced to the regional round of the state playoffs for three consecutive years, including a trip to the Class 3A state semifinals in 2003.

Alvarez and Ochoa have since moved on, but the torch they lit has been passed.

The Tarpons (11-2 in 2004) are counting on quarterback Carr Griener to continue the legacy.

Griener makes his first varsity start at 7:30 p.m. Friday when Port Isabel takes on Los Fresnos in the 58th edition of the "Battle of Highway 100."

Currently, the 5-foot-11, 170-pound senior is learning the Multiple I offense favored by head coach Monty Stumbaugh.

The five-year head coach has one request for his new captain.

"We want him to execute our offense and be a leader," Stumbaugh said. "As a quarterback, you've got to be a presence and have respect from teammates. Carr's doing fine so far."

Griener, 17, was quarterback for his junior high team and a starter at the junior varsity level two years ago. As a junior, Griener was a backup to Ochoa, but saw very little action.

Griener knows success doesn't come overnight and is confident that in time he can provide the same kind of playmaking ability as his predecessors.

"These (non-district) games will get me ready for district," Griener said. "I know it's going to be tough for us, but we just need to stay together."

Stumbaugh's new signal caller will bring a different style to the field this season. Griener hasn't shown the speed that Alvarez and Ochoa had, but the senior can give the Tarpons a passing attack. It's something Griener said he's more comfortable with anyway.

"I know I'm not as fast as Alvarez or Ochoa, but I can pass the ball," Griener said. "We've been passing a little more in the scrimmages."

In Port Isabel's two preseason matchups, Stumbaugh said Griener looked solid. He struggled in Saturday's scrimmage against Mercedes, but it was because of some breakdowns on the offensive line and heavy pressure by the Tigers, the coach said.

Stumbaugh believes that Griener will grow into the role and do some real damage on the field.

"Griener throws the ball well," he said. "We've got some things we've put on that will enable him to throw well. He runs the option well, executes well - if you don't cover him well, he'll get you."

Griener recalled the tough playoff loss last year against Hallettsville and wants nothing more than to avenge it.

"Last year when we lost, I was thinking about the game in the bus," he said. "Now I'm the quarterback, and it's time for me to step it up."

Aug 25, 2005 - 09:42:13 CDT

http://www.valleymorningstar.com/articles/2005/08/25//sports/sports1.txt

AP Panther Fan
08-25-2005, 10:56 AM
I know this isn't a football post, but this young man was an excellent athlete in baseball. Doesn't he have a brother that plays also?:thinking:

footballgal
08-25-2005, 11:11 AM
Where did you watch them play? But to answer your question, yes he does, he was one of the starting pitchers and yes he has a younger brother, Rolando Griener, who is a junior and hopefully he will be his receiver, by the time district comes around. He (Rolando) wasn't going to play, but recently he decided to go ahead and play. Last I heard, he was waiting on Coach Stumbaugh, to tell wether or not he could play, since he didn’t do the two a days. But, I have a feeling coach will say yes, but if he does let him play, he will have to do a lot of running and start playing in JV first, which sounds only fair. But, I am happy he did decide to go ahead and play, as I hear he is a very good receiver with good speed, played JV last season as a sophomore. Maybe by district time, we will be hearing about the “Griener Connection.” :D

AP Panther Fan
08-25-2005, 11:28 AM
We played PI in the Area Playoffs in Kingsville and lost. PI then went on to play Hidalgo in the Regional Quarter Final where their playoff run ended.

PI had several impressive players, with the most notable being Lando Ochoa. I hope he is doing well since graduating. Didn't I hear that he went to Texas State?

footballgal
08-25-2005, 11:52 AM
That’s right, I think I remember now, so it was you’ll we lost the first game, then came back and won the next two, or was it someone else? I went to the PI Hidalgo series played in Harlingen, and yeap they lost to Hidalgo and Hidalgo lost in the next round.

Yeah, Lando was quite an athlete and yes he will be playing football and baseball.

AP Panther Fan
08-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
That’s right, I think I remember now, so it was you’ll we lost the first game, then came back and won the next two, or was it someone else? I went to the PI Hidalgo series played in Harlingen, and yeap they lost to Hidalgo and Hidalgo lost in the next round.

Yeah, Lando was quite an athlete and yes he will be playing football and baseball.

You took care of us in two games. The first being very close. The second was the game from h***. We gave up like 11 runs in the 7th inning! :eek: I still get sick when I think about it!:D

Glad to hear Lando will be playing both! He is truly an impressive young man!:thumbsup: