PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Phil C

Gp83
08-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Actually that was the State Championship game and you are right about the extra point but at that point penatrations didn't count in the State Championship Game and if it ended in a tie then they would have been co-champions. The shame is that G-P almost made it twice. One time they were so close to the goal on a fourth down and it looked like the ball carrier was over but the officials ruled he was not over the goal line. I wish they had gone for the field goal then which would probably have won the game. In the last few seconds G-P had the ball close at about the 12 but they got a big 15 yard penalty that put them back at the 27. Marty tried a long field goal but missed it. I wonder if he would have made it without the penalty. The odds would have been better. A shame indeed.

Thanks Phil. That wonderfull thread got closed and I didn't get to tell you thanks. I lived in Ft Worth back in 71 so I don't know the exact history of what transpired in that game. I was just told it was a devastating blow when we missed that field goal. I was told it would have won the game but I'll take your word for it. Again...thanks:)

tap_tx_sinton
08-24-2005, 05:54 PM
Should of closed GP down instead of Naval Station Ingleside...

AggieJohn
08-24-2005, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by tap_tx_sinton
Should of closed GP down instead of Naval Station Ingleside...
or t.u.

Bandera YaYa
08-24-2005, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
or t.u. Dang , for a minute I thought you were actually OK....... :p

AggieJohn
08-24-2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Dang , for a minute I thought you were actually OK....... :p

nah i'm okay, it's just tap tx sinton is putting random things so i thought i would add on

GOFOR2
08-24-2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
or t.u.

dude dont start.

Gp83
08-24-2005, 08:02 PM
Now my thread got highjacked:mad:

PhiI C
08-24-2005, 08:39 PM
You are welcome GP83. I remember that game because I listened to it on the radio since it wasn't on tv. A tough loss and one that they were so close to winning.

PhiI C
08-24-2005, 08:40 PM
That last 15 yard penalty was a killer because it probably put it out of Marty's range because he was a good place kicker.

PhiI C
08-24-2005, 08:42 PM
Also a lot of people didn't know but Marty Akins played the last few playoff games with a broken left wrist (not his passing hand). I don't know if he went to the doctor but it wasn't announced till after the Plano game.

Gp83
08-24-2005, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
Also a lot of people didn't know but Marty Akins played the last few playoff games with a broken left wrist (not his passing hand). I don't know if he went to the doctor but it wasn't announced till after the Plano game.

I'll be damn...I didn't know that. When did penatrations start? I know it ended around the late to early 90's?

PhiI C
08-24-2005, 09:26 PM
I am not sure when penetrations started. It was used in mainly in playoffs and district games to decide who advanced. Good riddance to it. I was told there was a big playoff game in Sinton in the 50s and both teams were tied 13 to 13 and first downs so they had to go play by play to get total yards to see who advanced and Sinton won it. It took over thirty minutes after the game for the results to come in and the stadium was very quite from what I have been told. Thank goodness it is gone now.

Gp83
08-24-2005, 09:31 PM
My Freshman year, we lost a penatration game to Bay City in 79. Still one of the best games I remember all time. It ended in a 10-10 tie in Victoria. I still to this day remember traveling to Sintons old stadium across the road to play ya'll that year.

PhiI C
08-24-2005, 09:33 PM
I was living in Portland that year GP and I remember that game well. The sad thing was we had them but they made a last minute td and knew they had the penetrations and kicked the extra point instead of going for two points. The G-P team that year set a record 11th straight playoff appearance at that time. (Remember that was when only the district champions advanced in the playoffs).

SintonFan_inAustin
08-24-2005, 09:35 PM
lol i remember that old stadium also and only game i remember was GP running up the score, not sure but think it was 80 something to 0 in the late 70's.

pirate44
08-24-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Gp83
Now my thread got highjacked:mad:
it happens quite often :D

Gp83
08-24-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
lol i remember that old stadium also and only game i remember was GP running up the score, not sure but think it was 80 something to 0 in the late 70's.

Coach Akins expected everyone to play hard. God I wish he was still here.

PhiI C
08-24-2005, 09:38 PM
He was a good one. He was an ex marine that fought in ww2. It is a shame about Bay City. I think it was on a fourth down when they got that td pass.

Gp83
08-24-2005, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
He was a good one. He was an ex marine that fought in ww2. It is a shame about Bay City. I think it was on a fourth down when they got that td pass.

Correct. Kent Harris, a freshman (Coach Harris Son) was the QB the whole game in replace of Glenn Burdine, who was hurt. On the very last play, Akins sub's Harris for Burdine and Burdine chunked a long pass, which got int. Game, set match. Long ride home on the yellow bus.