PDA

View Full Version : Naval Station Ingleside Gone! :(

Phil C
08-24-2005, 11:48 AM
It was decided by B.R.A.C. this morning. Corpus Christi Naval Station will be realigned. What a waste of money they expended on making that Station ten years ago only to close it down. Our tax dollars at work (or rather wasted).

MARLINDOGS
08-24-2005, 11:50 AM
Thats terrible.

pirate4state
Originally posted by Phil C
It was decided by B.R.A.C. this morning. Corpus Christi Naval Station will be realigned. What a waste of money they expended on making that Station ten years ago only to close it down. Our tax dollars at work (or rather wasted). Hey Phil do you have a link?

Phil C
This is a big blow to our area but we will recover and move on.

Phil C
08-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Hey Phil do you have a link?

Here you go.

www.kristv.com

pirate4state
08-24-2005, 11:54 AM
Based on "breaking news" from Caller.com nothing has been decided on Ingleside yet. Of course, we both know how reliable caller.com is :rolleyes:

pirate4state
08-24-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Here you go.

www.kristv.com Thanks. :(

Phil C
08-24-2005, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Thanks. :(

You are welcome. :(

sinfan75
08-24-2005, 12:10 PM
The town that will suffer the most is Ingleside. Gotta feel for them.

Fish's mom
08-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Not good. But we'll bounce back. I just hate to see all that money wasted.

IHStangFan
08-24-2005, 02:39 PM
Maybe Ingleside will go back to being the sleepy, friendly little town I grew up in....and good ridance to the freakin traffic that base caused!!! I realize some people will be outa a job, and thats bad, but I think its good for the people of Ingleside. The town really went down the crapper when the navy moved in.

AP Panther Fan
08-24-2005, 02:48 PM
The Navy base stimulated alot of growth in Ingleside and I feel for the families that will be disrupted. It will certainly make a huge impact on the community and school district. Let's hope all ends well.....

big daddy russ
08-24-2005, 04:01 PM
That's a huge blow to the economy, but hopefully we'll get those two refineries everyone's been talking about and someone *cough, Port of CC, cough* will buy out the facilities of NSI.

99IHSMustang
08-24-2005, 04:07 PM
There was an article a while back about Del Mar expressing its interest on utilizing the vacant base for an expansion. They could have a Marine Biology dept if they don't already have one.

sinton66
08-24-2005, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
That's a huge blow to the economy, but hopefully we'll get those two refineries everyone's been talking about and someone *cough, Port of CC, cough* will buy out the facilities of NSI.

I'd rather see it become the Port of San Patricio County. The less C.C. has to do with San Pat, the better. Other Federal agencies will have the first shot at using it. How about a Border Patrol Training facility?

IHStangFan
08-25-2005, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
I'd rather see it become the Port of San Patricio County. The less C.C. has to do with San Pat, the better. Other Federal agencies will have the first shot at using it. How about a Border Patrol Training facility? yeah, i kinda figured the Coast Guard would move in and utilize it for some sorta homeland security training facility or something.......but who knows.

sinton66
08-25-2005, 12:13 AM
That would be cool too, but does the coast guard still have a base up around Port Lavaca somewhere? I know there used to be one up there back in the 60's.

AP Panther Fan
08-25-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
That would be cool too, but does the coast guard still have a base up around Port Lavaca somewhere? I know there used to be one up there back in the 60's.

Not sure about Port Lavaca, but there is a Coast Guard Station in Port Aransas that they probably outgrew 20 years ago. (My senior class picture was onboard a Coast Guard Cutter over there ... and you know how long ago that was!)

Expanded Coast Guard operations (homeland security) would be great although it might not bring the amount of income to the area that private industry would. I agree that San Pat County should have more say in whatever venture, but guess what....I think we might only have one vote on the CC Port Authority.:rolleyes:

What you want to bet they poke us in the eyes!:mad:

Gp83
08-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Portland has around 400 military students enrolled in our schools. We will be hit hard with this news.

AP Panther Fan
08-25-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Gp83
Portland has around 400 students enrolled in our schools. We will be hard with this news.

I imagine Ingleside and Portland will be hit the hardest on both school enrollment and housing. The housing market in Ingleside will bottom out I bet with a flood of vacancies. I may be wrong.....let's hope there is not a great length of time before "whatever" comes in that will replace the base.:thinking:

SintonFan
08-25-2005, 10:46 AM
While the closing of Ingleside might hurt in the short term, the base itself could be huge boon for the city and area itself.
If the base could be turned into a container port the affect for Ingleside can far exceed the current benefits. Many more jobs can be created this way especially with China and other asian countries seeking relief from overburdened ports on the west coast. The port of CC is looking toward this now but Ingleside is a natural fit for this.

Phil C
08-25-2005, 11:37 AM
I was at the Diamond Shamrock a while ago and the New York Times Newspaper had a picture of people in the North East holding up a sign saying Thank You B.R.A.C. Of course in South Texas you know what word would be substituted for what. :)
And those people may do the same when base closures come up again which it will.