PDA

View Full Version : Scotts Valley trying to beat the heat against Gainesville

KTJ
08-23-2005, 06:10 PM
California team hoping to beat the heat

Falcons leaving cool Cali for sizzling Texas to play Leopards

By JIM SEIMAS

Santa Cruz Sentinel

SCOTTS VALLEY - The Scotts Valley High football team is running drills on yet another beautiful summer afternoon.

The sun is shining, there's a light breeze and it's not too hot. The players were hoping for something a little less perfect. They actually wanted it to be unbearably hot, flat-out miserable.

Scotts Valley opens its 2005 preseason next Friday against host Gainesville High in Texas. The game - reportedly just the eighth in football history between California and Texas high schools - has been dubbed "The Sizzle Bowl."

"The weather isn't really helping us out at all to prepare for the heat or humidity," Falcons running back Tony Lopez said. "In fact, it's been pretty (cruddy) here. The other day I looked outside and it was raining."

Weather forecasts are calling for a temperature of 89 degrees and a humidity of 69 percent in Gainesville at 7:30 p.m. on game day.

The Falcons haven't been given much of a chance to beat Gainesville, the 2003 3A state champ. The Leopards are ranked third in the state 3A preseason poll by Texas Prep Xtra. Moreover, the Falcons may not even beat the heat.

Falcons coach Louie Walters has done everything possible to prepare his players for what they will face. He purposely moved his traditional morning practices to the afternoon to test his players.

"We haven't got a heat spell that we normally get in Scotts Valley," Walters said. "I'm a little worried on that note. We can handle the heat. It's the humidity. Our kids have no idea what it's like."

Returning lineman Dustin Black has tried to simulate the Texas outing by wearing sweats underneath his pads at practice and during other team workouts.

"It's the first time I've been disappointed with how cold it is," said Sam Gordon, a linebacker and fullback. "But we definitely put our work in to prepare for this. We ran hard this summer."

Not only are the Falcons unfamiliar with playing in humidity, the fact the Leopards are used to it doesn't bode well, said Kick Kirkham, a tight end and defensive end.

"The heat is probably the biggest problem we'll face," he said. "Guys who normally play both ways could find it difficult to keep up with the Texas team. Their team may not be overwhelming large size-wise, but they have more guys and they're used to the heat and the weather."

Walters may have to substitute players more frequently than usual, which is both good and bad. More players will gain experience, but that inexperience could play a crucial part in the outcome.

Gordon said the Falcons are extremely competitive, and have been looking forward to taking on Texas. The trip has raised the level of focus during workouts and practice.

"Nick and I we running volunteer workouts over the summer and everyone showed up," Gordon said. "We were there three or four times a week. We had guys breaking a sweat, vomiting. We worked extremely hard. Everyone wants to start for this team. There are still a few spots open and everyone wants them."

Story courtesy of the Santa Cruz Sentinel

District303aPastPlayer
08-23-2005, 07:30 PM
i honestly dont see them being able to handle the humidity...

HighSchool Fan
08-23-2005, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
i honestly dont see them being able to handle the humidity...

i don't see them being able to handle Gainesville

kepdawg
08-23-2005, 08:23 PM
We can only hope its as cool as 89 at kickoff come Friday night across the state!

Gobbla2001
08-23-2005, 08:28 PM
I dunno how good this Cali team is etc... but having a few starting spots open right now isn't a good thing...

Go Gainesville...

KTJ
08-24-2005, 10:03 AM
HSF

Are we planning on returning the trip next year?

pirate4state
08-24-2005, 10:18 AM
Is Scotts Valley already in Texas? Wonder if they'll be able to get in a practice before the game on Friday? :thinking:

HighSchool Fan
08-24-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
HSF

Are we planning on returning the trip next year?

this is just a one time thing since that prep school from San Antonio backed out this year.

HighSchool Fan
08-24-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Is Scotts Valley already in Texas? Wonder if they'll be able to get in a practice before the game on Friday? :thinking:

they flew in tuesday, will practice weds and thurs at Texas Stadium. thurs night there is a banquet in gainesville for both teams. scott's valley will leave saturday morning to fly back home.

pirate4state
08-24-2005, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
they flew in tuesday, will practice weds and thurs at Texas Stadium. thurs night there is a banquet in gainesville for both teams. scott's valley will leave saturday morning to fly back home. :cool: Guess FSN will have plenty of coverage on this game!! :clap:

Phil C
08-24-2005, 10:38 AM
Man if they think the heat and humidity is bad there they should come to play in Corpus Christi or Galveston.

LE FAN
08-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
California team hoping to beat the heat

Falcons leaving cool Cali for sizzling Texas to play Leopards

By JIM SEIMAS

Santa Cruz Sentinel

SCOTTS VALLEY - The Scotts Valley High football team is running drills on yet another beautiful summer afternoon.

The sun is shining, there's a light breeze and it's not too hot. The players were hoping for something a little less perfect. They actually wanted it to be unbearably hot, flat-out miserable.

Scotts Valley opens its 2005 preseason next Friday against host Gainesville High in Texas. The game - reportedly just the eighth in football history between California and Texas high schools - has been dubbed "The Sizzle Bowl."

"The weather isn't really helping us out at all to prepare for the heat or humidity," Falcons running back Tony Lopez said. "In fact, it's been pretty (cruddy) here. The other day I looked outside and it was raining."

Weather forecasts are calling for a temperature of 89 degrees and a humidity of 69 percent in Gainesville at 7:30 p.m. on game day.

The Falcons haven't been given much of a chance to beat Gainesville, the 2003 3A state champ. The Leopards are ranked third in the state 3A preseason poll by Texas Prep Xtra. Moreover, the Falcons may not even beat the heat.

Falcons coach Louie Walters has done everything possible to prepare his players for what they will face. He purposely moved his traditional morning practices to the afternoon to test his players.

"We haven't got a heat spell that we normally get in Scotts Valley," Walters said. "I'm a little worried on that note. We can handle the heat. It's the humidity. Our kids have no idea what it's like."

Returning lineman Dustin Black has tried to simulate the Texas outing by wearing sweats underneath his pads at practice and during other team workouts.

"It's the first time I've been disappointed with how cold it is," said Sam Gordon, a linebacker and fullback. "But we definitely put our work in to prepare for this. We ran hard this summer."

Not only are the Falcons unfamiliar with playing in humidity, the fact the Leopards are used to it doesn't bode well, said Kick Kirkham, a tight end and defensive end.

"The heat is probably the biggest problem we'll face," he said. "Guys who normally play both ways could find it difficult to keep up with the Texas team. Their team may not be overwhelming large size-wise, but they have more guys and they're used to the heat and the weather."

Walters may have to substitute players more frequently than usual, which is both good and bad. More players will gain experience, but that inexperience could play a crucial part in the outcome.

Gordon said the Falcons are extremely competitive, and have been looking forward to taking on Texas. The trip has raised the level of focus during workouts and practice.

"Nick and I we running volunteer workouts over the summer and everyone showed up," Gordon said. "We were there three or four times a week. We had guys breaking a sweat, vomiting. We worked extremely hard. Everyone wants to start for this team. There are still a few spots open and everyone wants them."

Story courtesy of the Santa Cruz Sentinel As stated earlier in the thread they can hope/pray that it will be only 89 especially down on the field Friday night. Is it just me or did this story almost bring a tear to the eye.....LOL

pirate4state
08-24-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by LE FAN
As stated earlier in the thread they can hope/pray that it will be only 89 especially down on the field Friday night. Is it just me or did this story almost bring a tear to the eye.....LOL Sounded like they were just laying the ground work/excuses for their loss. :weeping: Wish I could be there. Wasn't the temp in Dallas 102 or something crazy?? :eek:

HighSchool Fan
08-24-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Sounded like they were just laying the ground work/excuses for their loss. :weeping: Wish I could be there. Wasn't the temp in Dallas 102 or something crazy?? :eek:

friday's high is suppose to be 101. the over night low is suppose to be 80, most likely gonna be over 90 at kick off.

pirate4state
08-24-2005, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
friday's high is suppose to be 101. the over night low is suppose to be 80, most likely gonna be over 90 at kick off. :eek: break out the pickle juice!!! ;)

maverick1
08-24-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
We had guys breaking a sweat :weeping: :weeping:
Get over it, geez.
Gainesville rolls over that Cali team like Cuero rolled over Sinton last year.

Phil C
08-24-2005, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by maverick1
:weeping: :weeping:
Get over it, geez.
Gainesville rolls over that Cali team like Cuero rolled over Sinton last year.

You sure have been going out of your way to say negative things about Sinton and Sinton people haven't you maverick?

maverick1
08-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
You sure have been going out of your way to say negative things about Sinton and Sinton people haven't you maverick? No sir, I just call things like i see them.

Phil C
08-24-2005, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by maverick1
No sir, I just call things like i see them.

You sure are seeing a lot of negative things about Sinton aren't you Sir? Plus you are pointing it out as you see them Sir.

MARLINDOGS
08-24-2005, 11:13 AM
You sure have been going out of your way to say negative things about Sinton and Sinton people haven't you maverick? :thinking: I wonder.

Rabbit'93
08-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Looks like someone got under Phils skin.

Phil C
08-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Not really! Just stirring the pot a little. ;) :) err Sir! :)

HighSchool Fan
08-24-2005, 01:10 PM
mavericke1 rules

maverick1
08-24-2005, 02:00 PM
Just stirring the pot a little Anything you can do, I can do better - Sir !

44INAROW
08-24-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

Kick Kirkham, say that 3 times real fast :D :D :D :D