PDA

View Full Version : Comparisons to Lady Longhorns and Lady Aggies soccer teams.

Phil C
08-23-2005, 10:21 AM
Both teams have great potential this year to do very well and advance in the playoffs. I just did a little personal analysis and other fans such as Aggie John are invited to put their input and opnions. I did some comparisons to 2004 and 2005.
UT had 21 players on the 2004 team and graduated 7 of them and 3 undergraduates left. Nikki Thaden transfered to Drake and I don't know why Charisse Co and Christy Perkins are gone. I think Thaden may have transferred because UT has had outstanding recruiting success the past two years and she may have done so to get closer to home (Iowa) and get more playing time (PT) since she didn't have as much playing time as a sophomore last year as she did as a freshman. This year UT still has 20 on the team with a lot of freshmen who have showed great potential in the two exhibition games.
The Lady Aggies had 28 players in 2004 and had 4 graduate and only one undergraduate left and that was Jessica Green who was a freshman last year. I don't know why she left because she has a Senior sister Janelle Green who is playing this year. They are from Katy, Texas. In 2005 the Lady Aggies have 30 players listed and one of them a goalie named Nicki Benningfield sat out last year and is returning as a junior this year and may redshirt this year since their star goalie (Kati Jo Spisak) is a senior and she would get to play the two years so unless Kati gets hurt she will probably not play this year. Overall it looks like the Lady Aggies have done well in keeping their players on the team even though they may not have as much PT. Of course the potential to get to be on a national championship team this year may have something to do with it. The Lady Aggies had the top recruting class two years ago and even though they had good success this year it was not as good as two years ago. When a team does well it may have problems recruiting the next year because players realize that they will not get much PT. That has happened to North Carolina. They may get a few of the top ten players since they are a power but the others outside the top ten that would play well for them off the bench go elsewhere to get PT.
Of course another factor is that both schools are very well respected academically so that the players that stay with the programs will get a good education from schools that have great prestiges. That and the possibility of playing for schools that have a good chance to do well and go far in the playoffs indeed. Overall the soccer future of both of these universities looks bright indeed and this year should be a fun year for both of the schools' fans.
Please share your thoughts AggieJohn and others.

AggieJohn
08-23-2005, 10:47 AM
i know that we are home to some championship this year, i think our squad was very young last year and they pretty much have all stayed in tack, i know we added one or two consenus all americans and that we have done pretty darn well last year, look for A&M too recapture the big 12 title and for the 12th man to show up big in the loan star showdown against t.u....i know last year we set like a national record for a college girls soccer match....something in the 5000's, even unc and duke don't get those crowds on a nightly basis

Phil C
08-23-2005, 11:05 AM
The Aggies are to be commended for raising their capacity and improving their stadium to where it has 9,200 capacity. They are still short of the 20,000 capacity UT has. Great Job but they should have had double the capacity than they have now.

Phil C
08-23-2005, 11:40 AM
I just found out that the two freshmen Currie twins (Cyndne and Natalie) are both out for this season with knee injuries. This is a shame because the Lady Aggies were hoping for them to play this year. The fortunate thing is that it is early enough for them to be redshirted this year. The Aggies have several seniors and some outstanding underclassmen on the team and with the home field advantage in the final championship (if they get that far) has set up a great chance for them to go all the way. It is a shame but we wish the best to the girls on their recovery and success to them in the later years (except when they play UT of course).