PDA

View Full Version : 08/23 The Morning Mess

District303aPastPlayer
08-23-2005, 08:30 AM
Seeing as how its football season again.. i thought i would revive my morning show... of sorts...

Todays topid is cutting on HS teams... I read an article a while ago where a kid got cut for the 2nd time in 2 years... his coaches gave him pointers on what to work on for his junior year tryout... do you think cuts are good/bad? Should there be cuts in HS programs?

Give me your insight

Ranger Mom
08-23-2005, 08:35 AM
I wasn't aware the high school teams DID cut players!

In Greenwood, football is the only sport that players don't have to worry about being cut....getting to play is another thing!

pirate4state
08-23-2005, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Seeing as how its football season again.. i thought i would revive my morning show... of sorts...

Todays topid is cutting on HS teams... I read an article a while ago where a kid got cut for the 2nd time in 2 years... his coaches gave him pointers on what to work on for his junior year tryout... do you think cuts are good/bad? Should there be cuts in HS programs?

Give me your insight

Was this a team in Texas? :thinking: I'm with RM, I didn't know that they cut players. I know alot of kids don't ever get the opportunity to play, but they are still part of the team and play a big part in preparing the starters for Friday nights all week during practice. :clap: There is something to be said for the player who suits up for practice everyday knowing he may not ever get the chance to play at the end of the week!! :thumbsup:

KingRob
08-23-2005, 08:41 AM
I read about this today. This is a tough one. I understand how being rejected in making a team can hurt, but there will be disappointments throughout life. Allowing anyone who wants to make the team would lower standards and not incite competition and wanting to improve yourself. At the same time, you have to be careful that favortism isn't being practiced because then the whole teams integrity is on the line.

District303aPastPlayer
08-23-2005, 08:44 AM
it was in maryland....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/washpost/20050822/ts_washpost/high_schools_address_the_cruelest_cut

that is the link....

i am home sick, so if anyone wants to keep me entertained... feel free

KingRob
08-23-2005, 08:45 AM
This was in regards to a soccer team making cuts for the Varsity and JV. You can read about it on Yahoo! Popular news. Looks like the school is in the Washington D.C. area. I though it was an Interesting article.

44INAROW
08-23-2005, 08:48 AM

i am home sick, so if anyone wants to keep me entertained... feel free

Did I miss something Aaron? Where are you?

KingRob
08-23-2005, 08:49 AM
Hope you feel better D303APP, I am on the last few days of my vacation. My goal today was to shampoo the carpet in my car and clean out my desk. This is why I'm on the downlow!:) :D :) :D

District303aPastPlayer
08-23-2005, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Did I miss something Aaron? Where are you?

i am at home... ive been here the past 3 days... layin on my couch... with my laptop... just really sick as a dog...

District303aPastPlayer
08-23-2005, 08:52 AM
im eating my first bits of food in 2 days today...

44INAROW
08-23-2005, 08:53 AM
i am at home... ive been here the past 3 days... layin on my couch... with my laptop... just really sick as a dog...

sorry you're sick.. when I read "home sick" I thought you meant missing home - get better soon.. you gotta be ready for Friday night :D

LH Panther Mom
08-23-2005, 08:59 AM
We don't cut football players at any level. All are given the opportunity to be part of the team. In high school, there are kids that will be cut from other sports. I would go into the junior high "cut" policy, but it would take me 10 minutes to cover the ifs, ands or buts. ;)

AP Panther Fan
08-23-2005, 09:09 AM

Hope you get to feeling better soon! Sinton might not win without you on the sideline cheering! :D

As for cutting players, it is not a problem we have in AP (you remember our depth or lack of it last year).:cool: The good news is....that's not a problem this year!:D

I guess I can see in some of the larger schools, where this could be a problem having the coaching staff & equipment to suit that many out. From what I hear, your friends from G-P have two freshman teams, two JV teams and a varsity team...that's alot of kids. I can't imagine it getting much bigger than that IMHO.:thinking:

pirate44
08-23-2005, 09:42 AM
first time caller, first time listener

ive never heard of a school cutting, but i think it would be dumb. if the kid's willing to tough out the practices and make the sacrifices, i dont care how good they are, let em suit up.

Old Tiger
08-23-2005, 09:56 AM
Today is a great day