PDA

View Full Version : 3a Vs. 4A teams....

bullfrog_alumni_02
08-22-2005, 10:15 PM
i recently read a post about some teams playing 2A schools. some said it was good for whatever reasons, but i also read some people saying they were bad for whatever reasons. well my question is what does everyone think about a 3A team playing a weak(ish) 4A team? lemme know what you think.

piratebg
08-22-2005, 10:19 PM
If a 3a team thinks they can compete with a 4a team, weak or otherwise, I'm all for it.

LH Panther Mom
08-22-2005, 10:34 PM
We scrimmaged 5A & large 4A. We have a very strong 2A, strong 4A and another 4A (5A next alignment) on our schedule. Teams should play who they feel they can either compete with or will help them grow stronger as a team. Sometimes it may be a matter of who's in close proximity.

PHS Wildcats
08-22-2005, 10:53 PM
Some people think that just because a team in 3A plays a team in 4 or 5A, then it's a big deal. Classifications are only used for enrollments. I know a lot of 3A schools that could not only compete, but beat some 5A schools. It's really not as big of a deal that most people make of it.

bulldogbark
08-22-2005, 11:03 PM
we play a tough Newton team every year they are 2a but a very goog test for us.

Gobbler Fan
08-22-2005, 11:28 PM
Depth - thats the key subject when your talking 5a and some 4a vs 3/2A you have fresher legs going on offense and defense with the players not having to go both way's .I know in some cases they go both way's but not often in the bigger classifications.

MARLINDOGS
08-23-2005, 06:22 AM
It dont really matter if you are 5a 4a 3a 2a 1a.

Rainman
08-23-2005, 07:40 AM
You play good teams in non district to challenge yourself if you are a team with potential. For teams like Barbers Hill it is very important to start to test the 4A field before we become 4A. 4A schools on their schedule.
19-4A Crosby (scrim.)
20-4A Vidor and Lumberton (scrim.)
23-4A Dickinson
All three our possible districts for BH to be placed in once they move to 4A

neck_06
08-23-2005, 08:04 AM
West Columbia scrimmaged two 4As (#10 Texas City & El Campo)

And have two more 4As on the preseason schedule (Lamar Cons. Mustangs & Brazosport Exporters)

District303aPastPlayer
08-23-2005, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by neck_06
West Columbia scrimmaged two 4As (#10 Texas City & El Campo)

And have two more 4As on the preseason schedule (Lamar Cons. Mustangs & Brazosport Exporters)

thats the name of their mascot? the exporters?

AP Panther Fan
08-23-2005, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer

Haven't found their mascot yet, but did find the following. Look at how many schools they have.:eek:

The Brazosport Independent School District provides educational resources for the communities of Clute, Freeport, Jones Creek, Lake Jackson, Oyster Creek, Quintana, Richwood, and Surfside Beach.

The District includes 19 campuses, encompassing 11 elementary schools, 2 middle schools, 3 intermediate schools, 2 high schools, and an Alternative Placement Center.

The Brazosport Independent School District was formed in 1944 when the communities of Clute, Freeport, Jones Creek, Lake Jackson, Oyster Creek, Quintana, Richwood, and Surfside Beach united their educational resources.

The District now includes 19 campuses, encompassing 11 elementary schools, 2 middle schools, 3 intermediate schools, 2 high schools, and an Alternative Placement Center.

neck_94
08-23-2005, 09:08 AM
http://www.brazosportisd.net/bport/Athletics/athletics.htm

copy this into your browser, it will take you to their website

Supertilley
08-23-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
Depth - thats the key subject when your talking 5a and some 4a vs 3/2A you have fresher legs going on offense and defense with the players not having to go both way's .I know in some cases they go both way's but not often in the bigger classifications.

Your right about the Depth. I went to a 1A school in south east texas, we didn't have a district. So to fill a full 10 games, we had to play 4A and 5A Jv's. We Had 13 on our team, compared to their 45. 6 of us never came off the feild, we even had to march with the band at halftime.

Cat22
08-23-2005, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer

Yep and they have a little motorized ship that they drive around on the sidelines.

District303aPastPlayer
08-23-2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Cat22
Yep and they have a little motorized ship that they drive around on the sidelines.

thats hilarious

nutcrackin
08-23-2005, 12:02 PM
Gilmer's combined score vs. Paris and Longview Pine Tree both 4A's last year was 113- 19. I think some 1A or 2A could have competed with those 2 schools.

scrub c
08-23-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Cat22

yes its true, they are like golf carts/utility vehicles that look like ships.

raider red 2000
08-23-2005, 12:55 PM
scrub- i hope that neither one of us has to see that lil ship go.

they just use it after TD's.

bullfrog_alumni_02
08-23-2005, 01:37 PM
well with the depth a mediocre at best 4a team has compared to a 3a team, wouldnt that help them improve even if the opposing 4a team werent good in the least because it teaches the players to go against adversity and overcome playing against fresh legs and players. my take on it is that if a smaller school can compete w/ the bigger school its good for reasons stated above, i would also think it would have draw backs that playing any mediocre team has, not seeing what players are capable of against a good opponent in big game situations where things like district titles or higher are at stake.

gobblerfan02
08-23-2005, 02:54 PM
Cuero just got through scrimmaging two 4A teams and scored more than they did....I'm not saying they beat them, because some of us DONT agree that a scrimmage counts as a real game.....or a BEATING!

Maroon87
08-23-2005, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
Cuero just got through scrimmaging two 4A teams and scored more than they did....I'm not saying they beat them, because some of us DONT agree that a scrimmage counts as a real game.....or a BEATING!

I remember our games vs. Cuero in the late 90's. Those were great games. We also used to play Sinton regularly in years past, but we haven't in a while. We (class 4A) usually schedule 5A's and non-local 4A's for predistrict and scrimmages, at least we have recently.

Old Green
08-23-2005, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I remember our games vs. Cuero in the late 90's. Those were great games. We also used to play Sinton regularly in years past, but we haven't in a while. We (class 4A) usually schedule 5A's and non-local 4A's for predistrict and scrimmages, at least we have recently. I'd like to see us renew those games. It was like a playoff atmosphere between CalAllen and Cuero.

Maroon87
08-23-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
I'd like to see us renew those games. It was like a playoff atmosphere between CalAllen and Cuero.

I'm all for it! I'd rather us play Cuero than Edinburg, since we often play them in the postseason anyway. Games like those are a great opportunity for the less experienced players to get a taste of playoff action right off the bat.

Old Green
08-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I'm all for it! I'd rather us play Cuero than Edinburg, since we often play them in the postseason anyway. Games like those are a great opportunity for the less experienced players to get a taste of playoff action right off the bat. So true Maroon87. Some people I know in the CalAllen area say the same thing. Who knows. Maybe Reeve and Danaher will get get together on the new schedules this year.

SintonFan
08-23-2005, 05:14 PM
3A teams playing 4A teams help the smaller classification more IMO. 3A gets to see more speed, depth and size than they usually do and that can help come playoff time. There are occasions when playing a good quality 3A team helps a 4A team more than scheduling a poor 5A team. Alot can depend on the area in which they are playing.
PI is a perfect example of this. They schedule 4A and 5A teams because playing a Cuero or Marlin is cost-prohibitive. So they play higher classifications to get the experience needed to be competitive in the playoffs.

Old Green
08-23-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
3A teams playing 4A teams help the smaller classification more IMO. 3A gets to see more speed, depth and size than they usually do and that can help come playoff time. There are occasions when playing a good quality 3A team helps a 4A team more than scheduling a poor 5A team. Alot can depend on the area in which they are playing.
PI is a perfect example of this. They schedule 4A and 5A teams because playing a Cuero or Marlin is cost-prohibitive. So they play higher classifications to get the experience needed to be competitive in the playoffs. I bet next year or for awhile at least we may see a alot of inter-classification games do to the high cost of fuel.Scheduling teams close to home regardless of class.

SintonFan
08-23-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
I bet next year or for awhile at least we may see a alot of inter-classification games do to the high cost of fuel.Scheduling teams close to home regardless of class.
I hope they start drilling in ANWAR ASAP!;)

SintonFan_inAustin
08-23-2005, 07:14 PM
Sinton should drop Taft from there schedule and get somebody like Calallen Alice or Four Bluff. We got rid of playing Odem , Refugio now its Tafts turn
:D :D

CanyonEagles97
08-23-2005, 10:27 PM
Up until last year Canyon was playing 4A and 5A schools and that is with Canyon being in 3A. We Played teams like Lubbock High,Randall*,Caprock*,Plainview,Levelland#*,Heref ord,Pampa

# When team was in 4A before realingment

* Still playing team