PDA

View Full Version : Boy recovering after Crystal Beach shark bite

kepdawg
08-22-2005, 04:31 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted, but I didn't see anything about it.

Boy recovering after Crystal Beach shark bite
Associated Press

GALVESTON — A 12-year-old boy was in fair condition today after being bitten by a shark on his left foot the day before.

Julian Elizondo was walking in knee-deep water Friday along Crystal Beach, east of Galveston Island, when he felt something grab his foot, according to a statement released by his family.

When he couldn't pull away, Elizondo "knocked the shark in the head" and it let go, the statement said.

Unable to walk, he was taken by ambulance to the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, where surgeons operated on his foot Friday evening. The wound also affected the ankle joint, hospital officials said.

UTMB officials said Elizondo is the third shark bite victim they have treated in the past 13 months.

His family lives in Seabrook, about 27 miles northwest of Galveston.

Marine experts have said sharks are on the move during summer months and frequently mine the shallow Gulf of Mexico waters for fish.

Bandera YaYa
08-22-2005, 07:05 PM
Oh man I'm glad I didn't read this BEFORE my vacation at Port A last week.....me and the girls were out in the Gulf up to our necks!!!!! Once I felt something brush against my calf and I screamed out and you should have seen us "run" for the beach!!! It was a piece of seaweed!! OMG, I saw my life flash before me!!! :eek:

Cat22
08-22-2005, 07:42 PM
I was just down at Crystal Beach two weekends ago. Don't think I'll be getting in the water anytime soon.