PDA

View Full Version : Fights Erupt Between WH/Roosevelt Students

Rabbit'93
08-19-2005, 06:53 PM
Dallas: 13 sent home after brawls involving W-H transfers

06:23 PM CDT on Friday, August 19, 2005

By TAWNELL D. HOBBS / The Dallas Morning News

A pair of fights broke out Friday between groups of students at Roosevelt High School and transfer students from Wilmer-Hutchins.

The first brawl started with an altercation between two girls in the cafeteria, one from Wilmer-Hutchins and the other from Roosevelt, said Donald Claxton, Dallas Independent School District spokesman.

Other students joined in the fight, which included the throwing of food, Mr. Claxton said. Five of the students have been identified and are being charged with school disruption, a Class C misdemeanor, he said.

After the second fight, which occurred soon after, four citations were issued to students, Mr. Claxton said. Thirteen students were sent home in the two incidents, he said.

Mr. Claxton said more police officers would be stationed at the school.

DISD trustees agreed last month to educate the 2,700 students from the Wilmer-Hutchins school district, which didn't have the money to operate this year. Roosevelt High School in east Oak Cliff received 257 of the students – the most of any campus.Wilmer-Hutchins transfer Laquis McClain said she is scared to go back to Roosevelt High. The junior said she saw some of the fighting on Friday.

"My friend was walking and they just jumped her," the 16-year-old said.

Some parents have worried about how their children would be treated in the new schools.

Laquis' mother, Angela Ross, said she has been concerned about her daughter's safety. Ms. Ross said she has opted to drive her daughter to school rather than have her take the bus.

"I don't know what to do," said Ms. Ross, who has three children in three different schools in DISD. She said her children don't have a sense of belonging.

Mr. Claxton agreed that the fights are a concern.

"We want to have as smooth a transition as possible," he said. "We'll continue to encourage everybody to get along."

Mr. Claxton said the principal of the school also has warned that fighting would not be tolerated. He said that he knew of no other fights between Wilmer-Hutchins students and DISD students at any other campuses.

GreenMonster
08-19-2005, 06:57 PM
Are you ready to RUMBLE?

CheerMom
08-19-2005, 08:16 PM
This is sad, but unfortunately, not an unexpected event.

sicem74
08-19-2005, 08:34 PM
man! i hope wilmer hutchinson kids stick with em!

44INAROW
08-19-2005, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by CheerMom
This is sad, but unfortunately, not an unexpected event.

I thought the same thing when I saw it. For the kids sakes, I hope they get their problems ironed out and on about their business!