PDA

View Full Version : Parents pressuring there kids during football

Old Tiger
09-01-2003, 10:22 PM
Do yall think it is a good thing to pressure your kids about football at home? For example; telling your kid how bad he did in practice/games and telling the kid every mistake that he made. Let me know what yall think on this subject.

sinton66
09-01-2003, 10:29 PM
If your son asks for your advice about what he's doing wrong, you should try to help if indeed you yourself know what you're talking about. If he doesn't ask, he doesn't want your input, and will resent any attempts on your part, good intentioned or not. Better left to the coaches. (You doesn't mean YOU, Old Tiger, speaking in general terms.)

<small>[ September 01, 2003, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

JasperDog94
09-01-2003, 10:34 PM
This ought to open up a can of worms. Although the people who do that probably won't read this board.

Old Tiger
09-01-2003, 10:58 PM
The reason I brought this up is I seen on epsn a while back about a kid that his dad made him come home from practice and watch film and made him practice more. He ended up ending his own life.

Pudlugger
09-01-2003, 11:08 PM
If a father is proficient in the finer points of football it is OK for him to discuss his son's performance but it should always be in a positive light. Build on what is good and reinforce what is right, but don't make demeaning negative remarks. The father often must remind his son why it is all worthwhile after he comes home dejected from a bad day at practice or game films. I am very saddened by the story of this boy who became so depressed he committed suicide. Football is a wonderful way for tough kids to learn the ways of life and gain self esteem. Parents must be supportive because these kids are really striving to attain high goals and are constantly under scrutiny by coaches, peers and community. Be supportive and always be positive is my advice here.

Old Dog
09-02-2003, 12:38 AM
It's really sad when you hear about a parent giving his kid hell over a mistake made while playing ball. Personally I think ole Dad might just be reliving some of his youth where he knows he didn't produce as he should have.

xlr8tor
09-02-2003, 06:35 AM
It is sad when parents put so much pressure on their children when it comes to any sports or even academically. Young people today have plenty of pressure dealing with the problems and trials in life, without having to dread coming home for another and sometimes more heated round of pressure. I think Sinton66 put it well. It is sad when things like the above mentioned happen. And it is sad that the circumstances are so to make a young person lean toward such behavior. I have personally seen young people on up into early adulthood, trying, and still trying to please Dad in the sports realm. I love football, and would have a hard time imagining life without it. But it isn't everything. There are things more important than football. And there are things more important for your children than being the best in any give sport. Certainly having life itself is one of those things. Just my take.