PDA

View Full Version : Wylie vs Brownwood scrimmage (article)

Adidas410s
08-19-2005, 01:45 AM
Wylie looks impressive in scrimmage at Brownwood
By Jason Weddle / Reporter-News Staff Writer
August 19, 2005

Wylie High School quarterback Case Keenum made a statement Thursday night. The Bulldogs are back.

The senior state-champion quarterback marched his team right down the field on the opening drive of Thursday's scrimmage at Brownwood High School. He accounted for 58 yards on the opening touchdown drive, all without even throwing the ball.

The second time on the field, though, wasn't quite as successful for the Bulldogs.

After moving the ball well inside Brownwood territory, Keenum was intercepted by Britton Maxwell.

With time running out in the first of two 15-minute periods, and with the Lions inside the Wylie five yard-line thanks to several missed tackles, Brownwood tailback Jamal Organ slipped into the end zone as the horn sounded.

Wylie answered with another impressive drive, highlighted by a 30-yard pass from Keenum to receiver Gary Edwards. Keenum then hit Jacob Jennings in the end zone to make the score 14-7.

Brownwood answered with a 40-yard pass play on first down and then scored four plays later to tie the score at 14. It was the same score the two teams had when the scrimmage ended.

But let's be realistic - this was just a scrimmage. And like all scrimmages, the final score couldn't have been less meaningful. After all, neither team wanted to show much of its playbook with coaches from both schools' first-week opponents in the stands, notebooks in hands. What is important, though, is what can be taken from the live action:

Wylie's offense will score at will.
Michael Kiger is gone, but little else has left from Wylie's championship-caliber group of skill players. Keenum and Edwards are as talented a duo as a team can have in 3A, if not any classification. Combine those two with running back Cody Howdeshell, and the currently injured Trent Morris with a capable offensive line looking to prove itself, and you've got the recipe for plenty of points.

Gary Edwards is a playmaker.
Edwards will be the fastest player on the field in every game the Bulldogs play this season. The junior is listed as a receiver, but he will make plenty of plays at running back and as a kick returner.

''We've got to make sure that we get Gary on the field and we get him some touches,'' coach Hugh Sandifer said. ''He's not the kind of back that we can give him 20 carries a game, but that'll be our job, to use his versatility on offense.''

Edwards showed just that kind versatility Thursday, with his touchdown run and a 30-yard reception.

Case Keenum will make plenty of plays without throwing the ball.
Keenum ran for 90 yards Thursday, and that was only in two quarters with a continuous clock. His ability to throw the deep ball will spread defenses out, allowing him to take off.

''He has that ability, especially on drop-back passes, to be a dual threat and take off and run and make some yardage,'' Sandifer said. ''He made some big runs and some big conversions for us tonight.''

Jared Robertson can dominate opposing offenses.
With Robertson, a nose guard, breathing down the center's neck, Brownwood botched seven snaps on Thursday - and that was before he even hit anybody. Robertson is stronger than he was last season when he was named to the All-State team, and this year he's playing for a scholarship in addition to a state title.

Depth will plague Wylie.
Wylie's second-team offense didn't take the field in Thursday's scrimmage, but it did in the teams' pre-scrimmage live action. In one 20-play set, Wylie's second-team offense threw two interceptions and could only manage 12 total yards.

''We've got to have some guys step up at the two's,'' Sandifer said. ''We struggled offensively tonight with our second string.''

The preseason is over for Wylie, as Thursday's scrimmage was the team's last tune-up before the season begins next Friday against San Angelo Lake View. There is no doubt the team isn't in mid-season form, but the Bulldogs are showing flashes - and that means this could just be another special season.

Contact sports writer Jason Weddle at weddlej@reporternews.com or 676-6771.

MARLINDOGS
08-19-2005, 08:04 AM
Good job.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Johnny Moxen
08-19-2005, 09:36 AM
As long as Case Keenum doesn't get hurt this year, Wylie will be playing in December. I am going out on a limb right now and say that they will be playing for a second straight State Championship.

Black_Magic
08-19-2005, 10:06 AM
WOW! Sounds we had better just go ahead and give Wylie the District trophy and the State championship.:rolleyes:

pero chato
08-19-2005, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
WOW! Sounds we had better just go ahead and give Wylie the District trophy and the State championship.:rolleyes:

Just a hunch.....but I don't think Snyder and Sweetwater would be that generous. LOL

dutchman
08-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Could be a preview of next year's realignment. Rumor has that Brownwood, Kilgore, and Stephenville could be 3A and Everman and Forney returning.

Black_Magic
08-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Well If the top 3A number stays the same then Brownwood and S-ville and Wylie could be in the same district as 4A schools. I understand Wylie has over 940 inschool right now.

pero chato
08-19-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Well If the top 3A number stays the same then Brownwood and S-ville and Wylie could be in the same district as 4A schools. I understand Wylie has over 940 inschool right now.

Well it's actually 921, but could go as high as 940 or as low as 900 as people move in and out, but I would say for sure 4A nonetheless. We'll find out next Feb when the UIL sets the classification limits.

Johnny Moxen
08-19-2005, 02:24 PM
I predict that next year the 3A/4A cutoff number will be as high as 950 or even 1000. If it climbs that high, I wouldn't be surprised that the UIL rasies the 3A/2A cutoff to about 400 - 450 or even higher.

That would mean that Merkel and Clyde could drop to 2A (and possibly be competitive) while Brownwood and Stephenville could fall to 3A. Personally, I would much rather have a district made up of Stephenville, Brownwood, Wylie, Sweetwater, Snyder and a sixth team rather than having to play Merkel and Clyde.

pero chato
08-19-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Moxen
I predict that next year the 3A/4A cutoff number will be as high as 950 or even 1000. If it climbs that high, I wouldn't be surprised that the UIL rasies the 3A/2A cutoff to about 400 - 450 or even higher.

That would mean that Merkel and Clyde could drop to 2A (and possibly be competitive) while Brownwood and Stephenville could fall to 3A. Personally, I would much rather have a district made up of Stephenville, Brownwood, Wylie, Sweetwater, Snyder and a sixth team rather than having to play Merkel and Clyde.

WOW! What a district. That alignment has a lot of history in it and it ain't pretty. Brownwood/Stephenville gets real ugly like our friends from Snyder and Sweetwater sometimes do. If I'm not mistaken, Sweetwater and Brownwood don't care much for each other, either.

If this were to happen, I hope we have a four-team playoff system in place.

VWG
08-19-2005, 03:02 PM
Y'all have to remember that a school district's numbers are always high at the start of school then start to tail off by X-mas break.

pero chato
08-19-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Y'all have to remember that a school district's numbers are always high at the start of school then start to tail off by X-mas break.

But aren't the numbers the UIL uses based on the enrollment in the September/October timeframe?

injuredinmelee
08-19-2005, 03:32 PM
each district keeps a strict daily count every day of the month of october. Those numbers are then turned in and a day is chosen by the UIL and that days numbers are used for realignment purposes. There is a huge push in every school to get every kid in class all month because state funding is also based on OCT enrollment #'s.

West22
08-19-2005, 08:03 PM
I was in Brownwood today and people who went to scrimmage said Wylie did very well .Brownwood has just enough enrolment to keep them in 4a this year.With new numbers they feel they will probably go to 3a next year.This should spell trouble for a lot of the usual playoff teams .

Matthew328
08-19-2005, 10:14 PM
Unless they raise the 3A/4A cut to 1000 Everman and Forney will not be 3A....you can forget that both schools are over 1000....Stephenville is right at the 1000 line...now Brownwood may drop.....I hear they are on the 900 line

jmcgee
08-20-2005, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by pero chato
WOW! What a district. That alignment has a lot of history in it and it ain't pretty. Brownwood/Stephenville gets real ugly like our friends from Snyder and Sweetwater sometimes do. If I'm not mistaken, Sweetwater and Brownwood don't care much for each other, either.

If this were to happen, I hope we have a four-team playoff system in place.
Let me tell u the relationship we have with these teams.
that district would be the toughest district in the state without a
doubt. ok brownwood use to be our predistrict rival in 4a, stephenville our playoff rival, and snyder our everything rival. all these schools you see we hate each one 10 times worse than we do wylie.Oh yeah if it does happen i hope for a four-team playoff system too.