PDA

View Full Version : Names on the jersey!

Ranger Mom
08-18-2005, 08:27 AM
Just saw this on another board and thought I would throw it out here.

Are the names on the back of a jersey a good thing, or is it detrimental to the team concept? (At the high school level)

District303aPastPlayer
08-18-2005, 08:30 AM
at Sinton, we got our names on the back of our jersey, and thought we were the coolest thing since sliced bread, since we were the first team in the area to have them.... we played better thinkin we were that great... so i think it can help boost a teams morale

Phil C
08-18-2005, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
at Sinton, we got our names on the back of our jersey, and thought we were the coolest thing since sliced bread, since we were the first team in the area to have them.... we played better thinkin we were that great... so i think it can help boost a teams morale

It is great! I wish we could do the same thing for our volleyball, basketball, baseball, softball, etc. teams.

Phil C
08-18-2005, 08:37 AM
THE LETTERS ON MY SINTON GODFATHER SHIRT WON'T STAY ON IT!! :( :mad:

raider red 2000
08-18-2005, 08:43 AM
most kids dont see it as detremental. i think most would see it as some sort of recognition. also, i think that they believe that the name shows that the school cares to spend the extra money.

i once heard coach shipley from burnet say that kids that wear nike play better....not meaning that nike makes the kids better, but it makes them feel better...shows the kids that the coaches and school care.

i think names are a little thing that can help kids to try a little harder and play a little better.

lobo12
08-18-2005, 09:06 AM
we never got our names on our jerseys until the playoffs, as sort of a reward i guess, but i think it is good it makes the kids feel kind of important

Black_Magic
08-18-2005, 09:09 AM
Its a perk that is part of being on the varsity.

Phil C
08-18-2005, 09:12 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by raider red 2000
[B]

i once heard coach shipley from burnet say that kids that wear nike play better....not meaning that nike makes the kids better, but it makes them feel better...shows the kids that the coaches and school care.

It also helps makes a lot of athletes multimillionaires!! :D

Hannibal
08-18-2005, 09:17 AM
Phil, I don't think baseball will ever get their names on the jerseys as long as Coach K is there. I mean, no running S on anything baseball. As a former player, I am glad to see it. I have also heard from former football players, from the 1960's teams, that are not in favor of names on the jerseys. Having coached against Sinton in football, most teams seem to think players having their names on the jerseys is arrogant.

Personally, I think that the only name needed is the one on the front. Football, volleyball, basketball, baseball, softball, and, to some extent, track are TEAM sports. No individuals needed; just one TEAM.

Phil C
08-18-2005, 09:25 AM
Good point Hannibal. I was thinking more of helping fans know the names of the players rather than the symbol thing. Sometimes rosters are hard to come by. At least in football nearly everyone has programs available.

scrub c
08-18-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
most kids dont see it as detremental. i think most would see it as some sort of recognition. also, i think that they believe that the name shows that the school cares to spend the extra money.

we get the names on the jersey ONLY if we do fundraisers to pay for it.
It may be that way for everybody else too, but our school dont pay a dime for that sort of stuff.

gobblerfan02
08-18-2005, 10:00 AM
I can understand from the fans point of gettin the jerseys for identificationn, but I think that high school players dont need their names to be on the jersey....if they wanna be that recognized, they need to make a name for themselves and make everyone know who they are just by their number....that's the good kind of recognition!

Phil C
08-18-2005, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
I can understand from the fans point of gettin the jerseys for identificationn, but I think that high school players dont need their names to be on the jersey....if they wanna be that recognized, they need to make a name for themselves and make everyone know who they are just by their number....that's the good kind of recognition!

You are a young man gobbler! ;) Just remember when you get my age what the old man said about needing names for identification. You will realize that old GodFather was right! :)

shellman54
08-18-2005, 10:41 AM
Not a neccessity, but can be used to reward a team for excellent play. I believe it was PN-G who puts something on everyone's jersey? Someone help me if you know

SnyTigBaseB07
08-18-2005, 01:17 PM
Getting ur name on ur jersey is awesome, it shows that your good enough to make varsity, so why shouldnt you be recognized for it, plus its easier to converse about games, normally you'd be like did you see #12 make that catch or hit the ball...but with ur name its like did you see John Doe make that catch! know what i mean?

Ranger Mom
08-18-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by SnyTigBaseB07
Getting ur name on ur jersey is awesome, it shows that your good enough to make varsity, so why shouldnt you be recognized for it, plus its easier to converse about games, normally you'd be like did you see #12 make that catch or hit the ball...but with ur name its like did you see John Doe make that catch! know what i mean?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

You mean to say that the Snyder Fans don't have those numbers memorized??

I know exactly who belongs to every number, I don't need their names on the jersey!!:p

gobbler grad
08-18-2005, 01:30 PM
[i]Originally posted by Ranger Mom

I know exactly who belongs to every number, I don't need their names on the jersey!!:p [/B]

same here...

LH Panther Mom
08-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Other than Panthers, there are no names on our jerseys. Maybe I'm "old-school", but I don't think having the player's name means any more than not, other than there's more money in one team's budget over another. I don't need a "name" to tell me who it is. Besides, generally the print is so small you'd need binoculars to read it. ;)

44INAROW
08-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
same here...

GobblerGrad.. remember the first year Coach Reeve was here? Sent the jerseys to have all the names removed! Said we are a team, not a bunch of individuals :)

mustang04
08-18-2005, 02:30 PM
we'd get our names on our jerseys for the playoffs, but i wish we could have had them for the regular season too

i think its stupid to say it "takes away from the team concept"

AP Panther Fan
08-18-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Other than Panthers, there are no names on our jerseys.

Same here, after the first couple of games I re-learn everyone's number and even pick up on the new underclassmen that have moved up.;)

BHBrave08
08-18-2005, 03:02 PM
In high school I don't think the names should be on the jersey. But that is just my thought.

raider red 2000
08-18-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by scrub c
we get the names on the jersey ONLY if we do fundraisers to pay for it.
It may be that way for everybody else too, but our school dont pay a dime for that sort of stuff.

i am not sure who pays for the names...i dont budget for name tags.

i think that fund raising for them is a good idea though.

Gobbler Fan
08-18-2005, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
GobblerGrad.. remember the first year Coach Reeve was here? Sent the jerseys to have all the names removed! Said we are a team, not a bunch of individuals :)

Old School here too - no names needed on the jersey you were GIVEN your name at birth which you can thank you parents for by the way ;) BUT you EARNED that NUMBER on the front and back of your jersey YOURSELF ! Coach Reeves was correct for having the names removed.- Individual Recognition is great but what these kids will remember years from now is not the individual accomplishments but what was accomplished as a TEAM.

BHBrave08
08-18-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
Old School here too - no names needed on the jersey you were GIVEN your name at birth which you can thank you parents for by the way ;) BUT you EARNED that NUMBER on the front and back of your jersey YOURSELF ! Coach Reeves was correct for having the names removed.- Individual Recognition is great but what these kids will remember years from now is not the individual accomplishments but what was accomplished as a TEAM.

Well said.:clap:

SnyTigBaseB07
08-18-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
:eek: :eek: :eek:

You mean to say that the Snyder Fans don't have those numbers memorized??

I know exactly who belongs to every number, I don't need their names on the jersey!!:p

haha sadly no, not everyone has them memorized, hell half the student at SHS couldnt name more than maybe 15 players....its kinda sad, but fortunately im one of the few that actually know who everyone is lol.

Pmoney
08-18-2005, 04:44 PM
i dont think it really can get to the players head by having their name on the back of their jersey.....because if you can go out their w/ the supeman 's' on your helmet and tigers on your jersey<- i think that would get to the players head more than just having their name.....I say this because its not whats on the back of your jersey its whats on the front

sicem74
08-18-2005, 05:01 PM
i think its cool

gobbler84
08-18-2005, 06:06 PM
Coach Reeves says there's no point of having your name on your jersey when your on the field, not there to look great your there to make a statement. He also doesn't allow anyone to wear the Number 1. He says that he is number one and we are a team!

slpybear the bullfan
08-18-2005, 06:30 PM
Put my vote down for no names... 'cept the TEAM name.

(I am also in Big time in favor of old school jersey's. Today's "funky" designs look like a bunch of NFL Europe crap.)

GOFOR2
08-18-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Hannibal
Phil, I don't think baseball will ever get their names on the jerseys as long as Coach K is there. I mean, no running S on anything baseball. As a former player, I am glad to see it. I have also heard from former football players, from the 1960's teams, that are not in favor of names on the jerseys. Having coached against Sinton in football, most teams seem to think players having their names on the jerseys is arrogant.

Personally, I think that the only name needed is the one on the front. Football, volleyball, basketball, baseball, softball, and, to some extent, track are TEAM sports. No individuals needed; just one TEAM.

Welcome to the 21st century. People dont play, dont work nor do people live like people did in the 60s. I for one think you have to adapt to the times. A happy worker (player) is a better worker (player). I, for one, like seeing kids with names on the back of their jerseys, but to each his own. I like that the Pirates do it. It aint hurting anyone.

Johnny Utah
08-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Well said Go For 2!!! To each their own!!! I like the idea of no player wearing #1!!! I am very sure Reeves from Cuero is doing all of this to build a program that for a couple of years was sliding. Easy to come into a situation like that and make changes, especially if you WIN!!!!! Some one told me that they are under achieving, which would lead me to believe that Cuero has had tons of talent and continues to do so. Abilene Wylie is GREAT year in and year out, do they wear their names on their jersey's???

Gobbla2001
08-18-2005, 09:07 PM
I believe the first year that Cuero had their names on their jerseys was the year after I graduated...

I figured the players that were out there kinda enjoyed knowing their names were on the back of their jerseys, so I guess I was happy for 'em...

However, when Reeve came along he wanted to do his own thing... had the names removed and began taking the black out of the uniform... I remember us having green backgrounds on the helmets with the white C and the stripes down the center black in them... He came up with what he could and put a solid white stripe on them...

This season he went throwback... Our unis this year were exactly like the ones from back in the 70's and 80's except for one thing, there was one name on the back of the jerseys... Gobblers!!!

Gobbla2001
08-18-2005, 09:09 PM
I hear that this year we will be going untraditional with the uni's by wearing white pants during away games... That's just what I've heard...

I kinda like it... the traditional look is way nice, but I guess the kids get a little bit of what they want to make themselves unique, and that's what they got...

gobbler84
08-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I believe the first year that Cuero had their names on their jerseys was the year after I graduated...

I figured the players that were out there kinda enjoyed knowing their names were on the back of their jerseys, so I guess I was happy for 'em...

However, when Reeve came along he wanted to do his own thing... had the names removed and began taking the black out of the uniform... I remember us having green backgrounds on the helmets with the white C and the stripes down the center black in them... He came up with what he could and put a solid white stripe on them...

This season he went throwback... Our unis this year were exactly like the ones from back in the 70's and 80's except for one thing, there was one name on the back of the jerseys... Gobblers!!!

That was well said!

olddawggreen
08-18-2005, 11:03 PM
I think having names on the back of the jerseys is the greatest thing since jelly donuts, its worked well for Burnet:D :D

piratebg
08-19-2005, 12:24 AM
I don't see what the big deal is about having your name on a jersey. Those teams that do have them say they boost moral for players, or they are given to players as rewards for making it into the post-season. Other schools have them year in and year out simply because they can afford to do it. Then you have the schools that don't have this and play just as hard. However, I have noticed that some fans of these schools tend to criticize teams that do have their names on the back. They considers it a snobbish act or say things like it promotes individuallity, but it's just a jersey. It's not going to make you run faster, jump higher, or hit any harder than you already do. As long as you look good and play hard every game, no matter what, they will know and remember your name by seasons end.