PDA

View Full Version : Palestine's offense shines in scrimmage

texasjeremy
08-17-2005, 06:49 PM
Palestine offense shines in scrimmage

8-14-05
By SCOTT TYLER
H-P Sports Editor

MEXIA - After losing nine starters to graduation last year, Palestine offensive coordinator Tommy Allison thought it was going to take some time for the Wildcat offense to come around this year.

After Palestine's first scrimmage of the season Saturday morning against Mexia, it looked like it did not take too much time at all.

In the controlled scrimmage, the Palestine first-team offense scored four times in 27 plays while the Wildcat first-team defense held the Blackcats out of the end zone.

"I thought we executed our plays well and had tremendous effort," Allison said. "A lot of people contributed and that is what makes our offense roll."

Quarterback Devin Stephens took all the snaps with the first team and completed 10 of 14 passes for 224 yards and three touchdown passes.

"Devin had a tremendous day throwing the ball," Allison said. "He took some shots in the pocket but got back up. He has shown good leadership."

Stephens is competing with Jacobi Jackson for the starting quarterback spot. Jackson took all the snaps with the second-team offense plus saw some time as a wide receiver with the first team. He completed two passes and also had a pair of 10-plus yard runs.

"We have to find a place for Jacobi on the football field," Palestine head coach Glen Tunstall said.

The Palestine coaches also saw an impressive performance from the Wildcat ground attack. Trevlyn Reed had seven rushes for 55 yards and Paul Kennedy rushed for 30 yards on four carries.

Kennedy scored on a 9-yard gain when he bulled over a defender at the 1-yard line and his next carry, he gained 18 yards while running over defenders. The run got the entire Palestine sideline and the coaches excited as they ran down the field to congratulate the Palestine running back.

"We have got such a great 1-2 combo with Trevlyn and Paul," Allison said.

Kennedy was playing a day after the District 21-3A Executive Committee voted him eligible to play for Palestine after transferring from Westwood.

"The addition of Paul is going to make us that much better," Allison said. "He is a lot more agile than I expected and he has great feet and good vision."

Leon Mickens, one of two returning starters, shined Saturday, catching six of the seven passes thrown his direction for 165 yards. He had a 70-yard touchdown catch on a long strike and then scored on a 55-yard wide receiver screen pass.

Junior Kevin Swanson added a 48-yard score as Stephens found him open 10-yard down the middle of the field and Swanson did the rest, outrunning the Mexia defenders.

"Leon was very impressive and Kevin caught the ball real well," Tunstall said.

The Palestine defense did what it does best - bend but not break. The Wildcats gave up some big plays but never allowed Mexia into the end zone.

"I saw a lot of enthusiasm out there," Bowie said. "We made a few mistakes early because we were hyped but when we came back for the second time, we did much better."

Defensive highlights for Palestine included sacks by Aaron Smith and Billy Lewis, a fumble recovery and a one-handed interception by Adorian Arthur.

Ben Beckworth, Palestine's returning 2004 district Newcomer of the Year, sat out the scrimmage with swelling in the knee.

"Ben could have gone if we really needed him to," Bowie said. "But we already know what he can do so we let him rest which gives us a chance to see some of our other players."

Palestine will get back to practice Monday morning and will continue its morning practice Tuesday before going to an afternoon practice permanently on Wednesday.

The Wildcats will host Nacogdoches Saturday morning in Palestine's second scrimmage of the season.

cat dog horse
08-17-2005, 07:58 PM
did that linebacker from last year graduate? number 24 i think

gobblerfan02
08-17-2005, 08:01 PM
hi cat dog horse, how's it going, palestine will be another tough team this year, from what I hear from a little birdy anyways!

cat dog horse
08-17-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
hi cat dog horse, how's it going, palestine will be another tough team this year, from what I hear from a little birdy anyways!

whats up? did u spend that $5 wisely lol?

im sure they will be tough again this year

gobbler84
08-17-2005, 09:03 PM
Palestine is just like Cuero, Sinton and all those other school....They always have great athletes that shine. I look for them to go deep in the playoffs.!

MARLINDOGS
08-17-2005, 09:05 PM
:thinking: Maybe another run for them.