View Full Version : Palestine's Paul Kennedy ruled eligible

texasjeremy
08-17-2005, 06:42 PM
Palestine's Paul Kennedy ruled eligible to play

8-13-05
By SCOTT TYLER
H-P Sports Editor

RUSK - To play or not to play.

That was the question put upon the District 21-3A Executive Committee Friday afternoon at Rusk High School concerning Palestine High School student-athlete Paul Kennedy after Westwood Independent School District Athletic Director Shane Jones claimed Kennedy, a senior, transferred from Westwood to Palestine for athletic purposes.

According to the University Interscholastic League executive district committee athletic handbook, athletes who transfer to another school for athletic purposes are ineligible to participate in UIL-sanctioned events, including sports.

On Kennedy's previous participation athletic form, which is filled out by the coach or superintendent, Jones marked he believed Kennedy was transferring for athletic purposes, leaving the decision to the district committee. The committee, made up of the district's eight superintendents, was to decide if Kennedy was eligible to participate in Palestine athletics.

After hearing from representatives from both schools and Kennedy's grandmother Elouise Barrett and uncle Bruce Barrett, the executive committee voted unanimously to grant eligibility to Kennedy.

"I feel fortunate this decision was made because we did not feel there was any wrongdoing at Palestine," Palestine High School Principal Richard Scoggin said. "We have to do what is right for any of our students and this was the best decision for this young man and his family."

Kennedy had attended Westwood High School since kindergarten but on Nov. 8, 2004 - the Monday following the final Westwood football game - Kennedy transferred to Palestine High School.

Kennedy was Westwood's starting running back in 2004 and gained 1,185 yards and scored 11 touchdowns.

"You do not want to lose players that can play," Jones told the committee.

Scoggin told the committee that Kennedy had been living in Westwood with his mother Pauline Barrett Kennedy, until her death on Oct. 19, 2003. At that time, Elouise Barrett took custody of her grandson and moved into the Westwood home with him.

Elouise Barrett retained guardianship of the teen in January 2004 and remained living at the Westwood address with him until her new house was built in Palestine's school district.

"He did not leave just to play football," Elouise Barrett told the committee. "If his mother was still alive he would still be at Westwood."

Jones told the committee he believed Kennedy transferred for athletic purposes.

"Prior to him checking out, I heard rumors he was moving to Palestine but when I asked him, he told me he was not," Jones said. "In my opinion, the move was for athletic purposes."

Jones also related a story from one of his assistant coaches, David Reed, who overheard Kennedy in the classroom tell another student he was going to go to Palestine to play football.

Jones did tell the committee the statement was all hearsay and he had no documentation to back it up.

After Jones explained why he believed Kennedy transferred for athletic purposes and Scoggin presented background information on why Kennedy and his grandmother moved to Palestine, Elouise Barrett stood up and addressed Jones.

"I did not take him to just play football," she said tearfully. "When he is grown up he will be on his own, but now what I do for him is my responsibility.

"Why would you all hold him down when he is with me? Do not hold him back because of football reasons."

She then asked Jones why he released another student - Travis Trigg who transferred from Westwood to Palestine this year - but would not release her grandson.

Jones responded, "That kid's parents came to talk to me and said they were looking to buy a house and wherever it would be, they would move into that district."

When Elouise Barrett asked if all she had to do was inform Jones they were going to move, Jones responded, "It would have been nice to be informed. In my opinion he moved for athletic purposes."

Even after the committee made its decision, Jones held on to his belief.

"I do believe, and it is all my opinion, that he transferred for athletic reasons," Jones said. "He had a chance to stay at Westwood and he would have been eligible."

The committee asked Palestine ISD Athletic Director Glen Tunstall if after his transfer Kennedy asked to play football during the Wildcats' playoff run.

"When he came into athletics I told him to stay in street clothes until after we were done in the playoffs; and he never asked to dress or be included in the football program," Tunstall said.

"I hate to see his senior season ruined."

During questioning, one of the superintendents on the committee asked Westwood Principle Judy Thomason if she believed Kennedy transferred to Palestine for athletic purposes.

"All I can say is I thought he was happy at Westwood and I could not tell you why he left," she said.

Thomason told the committee that she called Bruce Barrett after she found out Kennedy was transferring.

"He told me that his (Bruce Barrett's) mother wanted to move into her own house and she wanted Paul to move in with her," Thomason said.

Students transferring between Palestine and Westwood have been a common occurrence for several years.

"It is a very tough situation for both sides," Jones said after the meeting. "It seems we are doing more of the giving than the taking lately."

Both schools hope this development does not hinder the friendly rivalry between the two schools.

"I hope it does not cause any rift between us," Scoggin said. "We have built a good relationship and with two schools in the same town we need to do what is best for the community."

The decision to have Kennedy eligible to play for Palestine comes less than a month after WISD Board of Trustees decided to play this year's Westwood-Palestine game at Panther Stadium, rejecting a proposal by PISD Board of Trustees to play the game at Wildcat Stadium.

"I do not think this is going to hinder the Palestine-Westwood relationship but just add fuel to the fire," Jones said.

The two teams will meet on Oct. 28.

Gobbla2001
08-17-2005, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by texasjeremy

"It seems we are doing more of the giving than the taking lately."

During this whole article I wasn't siding with Jones, but understood why someone would believe that a student transfered for athletic purposes etc...

But after that comment I have quoted, I's a lot easier for me to believe that this guy doesn't like the Wildcats...

just me though...

I hope that kid does well... dang, his mother died two years ago, crap chains off... stuff happens... grandmother's/aunts/uncles/cousins come into play when this stuff happens, and they do not always live in the same area you do...