PDA

View Full Version : Austin American-Statesman Top 10 Cen-Tex Countdown

LH Panther Mom
08-17-2005, 08:55 AM
No. 9 Wimberley: The Buck stops here

All-state lineman Burnette plans to go out with a bang before heading to UT.

By Andre' Shannon

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

WIMBERLEY — High school football players from Class 3A schools don't ordinarily draw the same degree of high-profile attention that Division I recruiters heap upon Class 5A and 4A recruits.

Then again, Buck Burnette — Wimberley's massive, all-state tackle — is no ordinary player.

A first-team all-state selection last year as a junior, the 6-foot-3-inch, 300-pound offensive tackle became the first player to verbally commit to the University of Texas' 2006 recruiting class. Now that he's gotten that choice out of the way, Burnette has shifted his focus to his senior season at Wimberley.

"I'm pumped up about committing to Texas early. It took a load off my shoulders as far as recruiting," Burnette said. "This year I can play and have fun.

"There was speculation last year whether I was going to be able to play Division I because I'm from a 3A school, so this year I'll be able to concentrate on being a human highlight reel."

Wimberley, which has produced back-to-back 8-4 seasons — including last year's District 27-3A championship — is the No. 9-ranked team in the Central Texas preseason football poll, as voted upon by members of the Austin American-Statesman staff.

Burnette, one of nine offensive starters coming back, is a big reason why the Texans are ranked. But he's just part of the story.

Quarterback John Weldon, who threw for more than 1,500 yards and 13 touchdowns last year, is back. So is running back Michael Buso, who rushed for 473 yards and eight touchdowns in limited action. Six defensive starters return, including all-state linebacker Jacob Biddle, who was in on 170 tackles last season.

In all, Wimberley returns 15 starters.

"When you have a seasoned ball club like we do, you've got to feel good that all of your holes are pretty much filled," said Wimberley Coach Weldon Nelms. "We have a tight-knit group that has come up through the ranks together."

There are 30 seniors on the team this season. Nelms said he feels good about that senior leadership, and one player in particular — Burnette — is a special talent, on and off the field.

The son of Grady Burnette — an All-Southwest Conference lineman at SMU who blocked for Eric Dickerson and Craig James during the famed "Pony Express" days of the 1980s — Buck is blessed with size and ability, Nelms said. He's the complete package.

"As a football player, he is extraordinary. But as a human, he's a great young man," Nelms said. "If you were a dad and could pick a son, any dad would be proud to have him."

Having a father as pedigreed as Burnette, however, certainly doesn't hurt.

"My dad influences me a lot, and I respect him so much," Burnette said. "His opinions and suggestions mean a lot to me."

It's one thing to block for two future NFL running backs. It's another to watch your son grow into a big-time college prospect on his own.

"He's got enthusiasm for the game and he's mature," Grady Burnette said. "It's more exciting for me to watch him than it was for me to do it."

No. 9 Wimberley

Coach: Weldon Nelms

Last 5 years: 43-17

2004: 8-4; Class 3A, Div. I area finalists

2004 offense: 26.0 points per game

2004 defense: 12.3 points per game

Hello: LB Jacob Biddle, OT Buck Burnette, QB John Weldon, DB/WR Riley Allen

Goodbye: RB D.J. Goldstein, LB Ray Skunda

First game: Aug. 26, Luling

Why the Texans are No. 9: Defense, defense, defense. Last year's "Code Red" unit keyed the team's playoff season. Biddle, an all-state linebacker, is back to help the Texans battle Liberty Hill for the District 27-3A title.

AAS story (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/08/16Wimberley.html)

LH Panther Mom
08-17-2005, 09:00 AM
Liberty Hill hopes to run to daylight again
Star rushers Kociuba, Escamilla return to pace Panthers' shifty offense.

By Rick Cantu

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

LIBERTY HILL — Jerry Vance operates an offense that is simple to run and painfully difficult to defend. It's called a Slot-T, a collection of misdirection plays the Liberty Hill boss has picked up during 28 seasons of coaching.

"When all 11 guys are doing their jobs correctly, it's almost impossible to stop," said senior running back Casey Kociuba, who rushed for 2,401 yards last fall while leading the Panthers to a 12-3 record and a berth in the Class 3A state semifinals.

With Kociuba, fellow 2,000-yard rusher Matt Escamilla and six defensive starters back, Liberty Hill expects to make another deep run for a state title. The Panthers are the No. 7-ranked team in the Central Texas preseason football poll, as voted upon by members of the Austin American-Statesman staff.

The Panthers will flourish as long as the Slot-T continues to baffle defenses. Last year, Liberty Hill rushed for an amazing 7,221 team yards, the third-best single-season total in the history of high school football. In the country, not just Texas.

To put their rushing total in perspective, the Panthers ran for 4.1 miles.

"This is not going to be a copycat team — that's (the 2004 season totals) not going to happen again," Vance said. "And the beauty of being a coach is playing with the hand you've been dealt."

At Liberty Hill, located 30 miles northwest of Austin, Vance is blessed with some outstanding cards. Kociuba and Escamilla are a pair of aces with a realistic chance of reaching the 2,000-yard plateau again, but they will have to do it with a quarterback and offensive line who are new on the starting depth chart. Escamilla points out, however, that eight offensive starters will be seniors with varsity experience.

The key to a successful Slot-T?

"All of the backs have to carry out their fakes," Vance said. "Our line will block at angles, set traps and run sweeps."

The most curious change is senior Chris Luckey's move from offensive tackle to tight end. A Class 3A all-state offensive lineman last year, Luckey has switched jerseys — from No. 77 to No. 88 — in a move designed to show off his pass-catching ability. Although his chief role as a run blocker remains unchanged, Luckey might emerge as Liberty Hill's secret weapon. His spot at offensive tackle will be filled by Chase Norcross, who played defensive end last year.

Joining Kociuba and Escamilla in the three-man backfield is fullback Nick Schrock, who played cornerback last season.

Liberty Hill has handed responsibility of the offense to Thomas Perrin, a junior quarterback who succeeds Dexter Hanson. Perrin earned varsity experience last season when Hanson missed two games with an illness. Vance said those two games — victories over Hutto (48-20) and Vista Ridge (75-0) — should help Perrin make an easy transition to the starting lineup.

Kociuba, for one, can hardly wait to unleash the Slot-T offense again.

"We practice the same plays over and over until we get it right," he said. "By game time, we want the offense to look like a blur."

No. 8 Liberty Hill

Coach: Jerry Vance

Last 5 years: 42-18

2004: 12-3; Class 3A, Div. II state semifinalists

2004 offense: 46.4 points per game

2004 defense: 21.8 points per game

Hello: RB Casey Kociuba, RB Matt Escamilla, TE Chris Luckey

Goodbye: FB Ryan Lawhorn, LB Tony Haberer (Navy)

First game: Aug. 26, Salado

Why the Panthers are No. 8: Two-thirds of the history-making rushing trio of 2004 returns, and they'll again be running behind Luckey, an all-state player.

AAS story (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/08/17Hill.html)

*For the record, Ryan Lawhorn is playing for USAF Academy.*

LH Panther Mom
08-17-2005, 09:04 AM
The Top-10 countdown started Monday. Copperas Cove is listed as # 10. If anyone's interested in reading that article, let me know & I'll post as well. :)

HighSchool Fan
08-17-2005, 09:07 AM
not to busy at work today are ya :p :D

LH Panther Mom
08-17-2005, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
not to busy at work today are ya :p :D

:tongue: I'm plenty busy, but some things are more important than work. :D

Phil C
08-17-2005, 10:06 AM
Way to go Buck! Welcome to Texas! Good news indeed!

ILS1
08-17-2005, 03:12 PM
Liberty Hill & Wimberley @ #8 & #9 respectively. Well,that should be the end of the small schools (3A and lower) in this Top 10. Because in my opinion they are the best small schools in the Austin area and they have them ranked so low!!! They rest of the list should include alot of 5A schools. In the remaining Top 10 should be Cedar Park,Leander,Pflugerville,Pflugerville Connally (4A) and Westlake somewhere mixed in there. AAS doesn't give the smaller schools too much respect,IMO!!!

:D :D

Phil C
08-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
Liberty Hill & Wimberley @ #8 & #9 respectively. Well,that should be the end of the small schools (3A and lower) in this Top 10. Because in my opinion they are the best small schools in the Austin area and they have them ranked so low!!! They rest of the list should include alot of 5A schools. In the remaining Top 10 should be Cedar Park,Leander,Pflugerville,Pflugerville Connally (4A) and Westlake somewhere mixed in there. AAS doesn't give the smaller schools too much respect,IMO!!!

I know what you mean. Two years ago Wimberley had the best volleyball team in the state. In fact in a warm up game before the playoffs they beat the 5A team that went on to win state in 5A. Of course Wimberley won 3A State Championship in volleyball. I think they might have been the best high school team in the country but that can never be proven (or disprovened). :)

Gobbla2001
08-17-2005, 07:15 PM

Did someone say 'Austin American Statesman'...

Forget them not giving the smaller schools respect, their main focus is politics (This coming from a friend who began her internship there)...

gobblerfan02
08-17-2005, 07:47 PM
Wimberley is gonna be tough along with Liberty Hill, would like to see who makes it outta that district on top!

LHMom
08-17-2005, 09:36 PM
LHPM - What's up with the subject for this thread???? I like "LH Panthers #8 in Central Texas" better.

LH Panther Mom
08-17-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by LHMom
LHPM - What's up with the subject for this thread???? I like "LH Panthers #8 in Central Texas" better.

Yeah, I know....but it's the count down to # 1. And now the "subject" is much better. :D

GreenMonster
08-17-2005, 10:25 PM
I guess I will get to see first hand if that All State lineman is for real before too long.

SintonFan
08-17-2005, 10:28 PM
Saw him last year. He's the real deal.:clap:

LH Panther Mom
08-18-2005, 07:57 AM
At # 7, is 5A Hays Rebels.

LH Panther Mom
08-19-2005, 07:36 AM
At # 6 is 4A, Austin McCallum Knights.

espn1
08-19-2005, 07:42 AM
Tere's no way in hell that LH or Wimberley would Beat Copperas Cove.

3afan
08-19-2005, 07:46 AM
Cove should be #1 if they are considered in the area .... IMO #8 & #9 is very respectable for 3A schools considering there are so many 4A & 5A in the area, in fact i would think 8 & 9 is very generous!

MARLINDOGS
08-19-2005, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by espn1
Tere's no way in hell that LH or Wimberley would Beat Copperas Cove. :thinking: Maybe.

dutchman
08-19-2005, 10:42 AM
Well Waco cannot get past the first round because they have played Lufkin in bi-district the last two years. Nevertheless, i can guarantee that i would not want to have to face Waco in a game.

LH Panther Mom
08-22-2005, 07:58 AM
I got behind on this. I hope no one was holding their breath waiting on me. ;)

# 5, 4A, Pflugerville Connally Cougars

# 4, 5A Leander Lions

# 3, 4A Lake Travis Cavaliers (in Burnet's district :eek: )

LH Panther Mom
08-24-2005, 03:21 PM
# 2, 5A Pflugerville High Cougars

And the # 1 team in Central Texas, according to the Austin American-Statesman is.......

5a Westlake High Chaparrals

LH Panther Mom
08-24-2005, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
5a Westlake High Chaparrals

What a shock! :rolleyes: ;)

44INAROW
08-24-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I got behind on this. I hope no one was holding their breath waiting on me. ;)

# 5, 4A, Pflugerville Connally Cougars

# 4, 5A Leander Lions

# 3, 4A Lake Travis Cavaliers (in Burnet's district :eek: )

Didn't Lake Travis do well in 7 on 7?