PDA

View Full Version : PC and mascot names

NHSBulldog75
08-16-2005, 12:38 PM
Politicaly Correct?

I don't get it!

After a hundred years, it seems stupid to change the mascot of establishied teams.

PN-G Indians, Florida Seminoles, Fighting Illini, (and all the rest i'm sure) have never done anything but represent their mascot with pride and dignity, both on the field and courts as well as in the classroom.

Will professional sports teams (NFL's Washington or MLB's Cleveland) take the lead and change their mascots....I think not

The NCAA should spend their time and efort in trying to improve basketball's graduation rate and give up on banning team mascots and insignia from the post season tournaments.

That's just me....what do you think?

Gobbla2001
08-16-2005, 12:45 PM
Changing a mascot name should be the least of anyone's worries when trying to respect Native-Americans...

Hell, we took over their country, I'm sure they want something more than Florida State taking the field as the FSU Bowden's...

I could almost understand changing the name Indians and Redskins etc... on the national stage, but Seminoles?

Florida is like the 'Seminole' state for crying in the snow...

mwynn05
08-16-2005, 12:50 PM
Names like redmen and redskins should probably be changed but not seminoles...ESPECIALLY when not only the seminole nation in florida doesnt mind but also when another seminole tribe in oklahoma doesnt mind

MARLINDOGS
08-16-2005, 01:33 PM
I think all of this is nonsense.

HighSchool Fan
08-16-2005, 01:52 PM
the new rule doesn't purtain to football. it only purtains to post season ncaa games. the bowl games are not associated with the ncaa. we don't need to worry about this until march madness.

NHSBulldog75
08-16-2005, 03:03 PM
If it iallowed to stand in college, how long will it be unti it trickles down to the UIL and HS sports?

Old Green
08-16-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by NHSBulldog75
If it iallowed to stand in college, how long will it be unti it trickles down to the UIL and HS sports? It already has trickled down to high schools . Sam Houston high school in San Antonio changed their Mascot from the Cherokees to the Hurricanes 3 years ago.

District303aPastPlayer
08-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
It already has trickled down to high schools . Sam Houston high school in San Antonio changed their Mascot from the Cherokees to the Hurricanes 3 years ago.

i had been tryin to remember who changed.. thanks

and how about that rule that once you are an NCAA athlete, you are one FOR LIFE... so 15 years after you leave the school, and you take a gift from a friend of the program improperly... your alma mater may be penalized

AP Panther Fan
08-16-2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by MARLINDOGS
I think all of this is nonsense.

me too! As a matter of fact, I would consider it an honor, not an insult. It seems to pay tribute to the heritage IMHO.

SnyTigBaseB07
08-16-2005, 04:06 PM
The thing is, i think changing stuff like redskins, ya go for it, no ones gonna mind. But if the NCAA or whoever controls the public side of w/e sport, if they cave to the people who wanna change the un PC names, who knows whats next. PETA will be calling and telling Baylor they cant use the name bears in there college. Eventually it might be as far as like the Baylor...team 23 takes on UT..team 2 in tonights matchup. I think that they need to stay firm on letting the colleges change they're names if they so choose, but i dont think anyone outside organization has any say in whether a name is un PC....cause basically everything you say now a days is "wrong" to someone.

TexasHSFootball
08-16-2005, 04:15 PM
and this all started in the NBA if you remember:

Washington Bullets became the Washington Wizards :rolleyes:

SnyTigBaseB07
08-16-2005, 04:38 PM
just think, if all sports decide to get rid of names that refer to indians, they're might not be an Atlanta Braves anymore, or a Cleveland Indians! :weeping:

GreenMonster
08-16-2005, 04:57 PM
I believe that to be a member of an organization you are obligated to follow that organization's rules and regulations. That having been said, I believe the NCAA has potentially opened the door to competion. This could be the perfect oportunity for the start of a new Super Conference that hand selects it's members, has it's own TV deal, and crowns it's own Champions. Money talks and FSU is a headliner that could take the lead. Notre Dame would be another possibility as well as many other BIG schools. This could get very interesting if the powers that be are bullheaded enough to stand their ground and several schools fall in line to defend their rights.

mwynn05
08-16-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I believe that to be a member of an organization you are obligated to follow that organization's rules and regulations. That having been said, I believe the NCAA has potentially opened the door to competion. This could be the perfect oportunity for the start of a new Super Conference that hand selects it's members, has it's own TV deal, and crowns it's own Champions. Money talks and FSU is a headliner that could take the lead. Notre Dame would be another possibility as well as many other BIG schools. This could get very interesting if the powers that be are bullheaded enough to stand their ground and several schools fall in line to defend their rights. What makes you think they have opened the door..basicly elaborate for me

Gobbla2001
08-16-2005, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I believe that to be a member of an organization you are obligated to follow that organization's rules and regulations. That having been said, I believe the NCAA has potentially opened the door to competion. This could be the perfect oportunity for the start of a new Super Conference that hand selects it's members, has it's own TV deal, and crowns it's own Champions. Money talks and FSU is a headliner that could take the lead. Notre Dame would be another possibility as well as many other BIG schools. This could get very interesting if the powers that be are bullheaded enough to stand their ground and several schools fall in line to defend their rights.

You're thinking outside of the box... I like it... I have never thought about it that way...

Gobbla2001
08-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
What makes you think they have opened the door..basicly elaborate for me

It's easy, FSU is known for three things... Bowden, Football and Seminoles... Not being able to use their mascott during march madness etc... is not in their best interest (though their team is rarely in march madness to begin with)...

The FSU fans will not take kindly to this whether it effects them or not... they'll gripe to whoever they have to about it and the leaders at FSU will feel some heat and may act on it...

Now, schools like FSU are most-likely not pleased with the way the BCS goes etc... So they would be willing to pull into/continue a movement to provide playoffs for college football...

Seeing how the NCAA will not go along with this, these teams like FSU and their 'super confrence' or what have you would be the NCAA's competition...

Now, since the NCAA is making this move with the mascotts, they could be opening up a door...

Though this mascott rule does not apply to a large number of universities, the whole playoff deal does, and FSU could easily kill two birds with one stone if they 'seemed' to'd enough...

GreenMonster
08-16-2005, 11:54 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gobbla2001
[B]It's easy, FSU is known for three things... Bowden, Football and Seminoles... Not being able to use their mascott during march madness etc... is not in their best interest (though their team is rarely in march madness to begin with)...

The FSU fans will not take kindly to this whether it effects them or not... they'll gripe to whoever they have to about it and the leaders at FSU will feel some heat and may act on it...

Now, schools like FSU are most-likely not pleased with the way the BCS goes etc... So they would be willing to pull into/continue a movement to provide playoffs for college football...

Seeing how the NCAA will not go along with this, these teams like FSU and their 'super confrence' or what have you would be the NCAA's competition...

Now, since the NCAA is making this move with the mascotts, they could be opening up a door...

You hit the nail on the head, Gobbla. Everyone knows that the BCS is a bunch of BS. I believe that it would only take one big name school to pull out of the NCAA (seceed from the Union South Carolina style) to start a large revolt. A "Civil War" of college athletics or potentially a "USFL" if that's how you choose to view it. Like i said in my earlier post, if you don't like the rules get out and make your own rules. Hand select the teams you want to be your allies and start your own new league. Pick good teams with large, strong followings and get in touch with a major network. FOX would make an excellent partner in this because of their rebel attitude. The big name schools draw big time audiences and big time audiences draw big time money. Sponsors would be lining up for a piece of that action.

sahen
08-17-2005, 12:07 AM
that was my thought when it first came out too Greenmonster....as great as that sounds w/ the playoff thigns and all this will ruin college sports if they do that...it will turn into a bunch of different leagues that never play each other...NCAA better back out of their Indian thing or this is gonan kill college sports except for the "big name schools"....

Gobbla2001
08-17-2005, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by sahen
that was my thought when it first came out too Greenmonster....as great as that sounds w/ the playoff thigns and all this will ruin college sports if they do that...it will turn into a bunch of different leagues that never play each other...NCAA better back out of their Indian thing or this is gonan kill college sports except for the "big name schools"....

I do not think it'll turn into different leagues that don't play each other, I think it 'can' turn out the right way...

The negative I see right now are these schools getting to'd and moving out too quickly and not starting things the right way...