PDA

View Full Version : Best of Luck to Phillip Daugherty

Bullaholic
08-16-2005, 09:17 AM
ADIOS TECH – Texas Tech third-string quarterback Phillip Daugherty, a sophomore from Bridgeport, has decided to transfer to an out-of-state NCAA Division 1 program. Daugherty got approval from Tech coach Mike Lech and agreed on the details of his transfer. The Red Raiders won’t release him to transfer to a school in Texas, within the conference or to a school on the Raiders’ schedules in the next three years. The former Bull has several leads, but has not yet made a decision on where he will play this fall.

Reprint from "Wise County Messenger" 08/16/05

We wish Phillip Daugherty the very best of luck in his quest to be able to get playing time with a Division I NCAA team. Those of us who were fortunate enough to see Phillip play in high school know that this young man has one of the best "arms" to come out of Texas high school football in recent years and was a real pleasure to watch on the field while leading the Bridgeport Bulls to many victories. He is also a fine young man and I know he will do well for any school lucky enough to sign him.

koose
08-16-2005, 09:58 AM
That's funny. On Ncaa 2006 for the Xbox, I am playing as North Texas and he transfered to North Texas after my first year there.

Old Tiger
08-16-2005, 10:13 AM
Good luck to him

District303aPastPlayer
08-16-2005, 10:26 AM
wow... i figured he would have been teh starter for the next couple of years

slpybear the bullfan
08-16-2005, 11:30 AM
Well, very interesting info from the star telegram paper as well...

Best of Luck to Phillip D. You always will be a Bull, now we will have to think of a new team to associate you with.

============================================

Bridgeport's Daugherty leaving Tech

By Troy Phillips

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Texas Tech third-string quarterback Phillip Daugherty, a sophomore from Bridgeport, has decided to transfer to an NCAA Division I program outside the state, Bridgeport High coach Danny Henson said.

Henson said Daugherty, who threw for a Class 3A-record 10,136 career yards in high school, has met with Tech coach Mike Leach and ironed out all the details of his transfer.

Leach was expected to address Daugherty’s departure after Tech’s workout ended Monday evening, a university media-relations official said.

Daugherty arrived at Tech as heralded true freshman in 2003 but redshirted that season. Because of that, he will lose a season of eligibility when he transfers but will have two seasons remaining.

Last spring, Daugherty battled Harrell and fifth-year senior Cody Hodges to get a leg up on Tech’s starting job. Leach isn’t expected to name a starter until later this week or next week.

So far, Harrell and Hodges have shared an equal number of plays in fall camp, and Leach has said both are running even right now. Daugherty has had no work with Tech’s first team. He had a chance to move up when Harrell suffered a non-football ankle injury in the spring, but Harrell has since caught up and passed him in the coaches’ eyes.

``Phillip just doesn’t have a place there,’’ Henson said. ``I think Tech would love for Hodges to have great year and let Graham be his understudy. Then they’ll have a quarterback who will be there a while and not just one year. Graham is the one they’ve got tagged to be their future.’’

Henson said he’s made calls to colleges outside Texas and outside the Big 12 on Daugherty’s behalf but wouldn’t say which ones. He said Leach is helping Daugherty all he can, but Tech won’t release him to transfer to a school in Texas, in the conference or to a school on the Raiders’ future schedules.

blaster
08-16-2005, 12:06 PM
I am sure he will find a place to shine! Good luck from the Blaster Family!

AggieJohn
08-16-2005, 12:14 PM
hmm on too mid-south-west-eastern oklahoma school for the blind and deaf

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-16-2005, 02:04 PM
I saw him play in Highschool and he was a very good player. Will make some one a good hand. I don't blame him for moving on. If he dropped down to DII he could have a lot of options.

blaster
08-16-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
hmm on too mid-south-west-eastern oklahoma school for the blind and deaf

#4 Single Season Passing Record 4,678 yards

#3 Career Passing Yards 10,136 yards

#4 Single Season Completions 304 Completions

# 3 Career Completions 680 Completions

I would say this kid deserves a little more respect than you are giving.

GreenMonster
08-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Personally, I think it is pretty low down and dirty of Coach Leach to force this young man out of state. I don't have a problem with limiting the young man to outside of conference or even telling him he can't transfer to any school already on Tech's schedule for the next 3 years, but out of state is a bit much. It is a very big state we live in and there are plenty of other options that could allow young Mr. Daugherty to play closer to home.

slpybear the bullfan
08-16-2005, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by blaster
#4 Single Season Passing Record 4,678 yards

#3 Career Passing Yards 10,136 yards

#4 Single Season Completions 304 Completions

# 3 Career Completions 680 Completions

I would say this kid deserves a little more respect than you are giving.

Thank you, Blaster... I was fixing to post something similar.

AJ, where did you get a football scholarship to?

The One
08-16-2005, 10:34 PM
There are still schools close to home that are out of state. I think Leach is just looking out for the University and that is his job. Just like Daugherty is looking out for himself. He isn't in it for the free ride, he wants to play, so he is making the move that is going to allow him to do that.

I spoke to Daugherty late this afternoon and there is a short list. I think we will see him make a decision soon. After all classes are set to begin in a few weeks anyways.

ttredraider
08-16-2005, 10:54 PM
everybody in in Red Raider country wishes PD the best, by the way, nice aggie comment in that earlier post (don't remember who it was) sounded like blaster ;), o yeah, blaster have u seen john's new car?

blaster
08-17-2005, 07:57 AM
Last time I saw John was out at the lake House. New car?????I think I would be asking him to pay your half of the rent as well. HEE HEE.

Remember, not all of us Aggies make rude comments about people!

Good Luck PD

Gig' Em

Keith7
08-17-2005, 01:07 PM
Phillip was the best QB i personally played against.. he was a threat for the big play ever time he attempted a pass.. I wish him the best of luck and hope to see him playing again real soon

ttredraider
08-17-2005, 02:05 PM
yeah, he got a mustang, the thing is, i didn't know he was more spoiled than i was

The One
08-17-2005, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Phillip was the best QB i personally played against.. he was a threat for the big play ever time he attempted a pass.. I wish him the best of luck and hope to see him playing again real soon

I agree it was really fun to watch him play, especially his senior year because everything looked in slow motion. I can't wait to get to see him play again. If your still in Gainesville tune in 98.3fm Friday night 10:30pm we are going to have him on the show with us for an interview.