PDA

View Full Version : Save on your gas bill?

SintonFan
08-15-2005, 06:40 PM
From: http://www.deq.state.or.us/nwr/ECO/save%20gas%20facts.htm

What can I do to save gas?

Walk, bike, take transit, or carpool when possible. Use your car only when necessary. If you own more than one vehicle, drive the one that gets the best gas mileage whenever possible. Combine errands into one trip. Consolidate trips to destinations that are near one another. Once you arrive, park and walk between destinations. Save errands for one afternoon, plan your trip so you don't retrace your route. Not only will you save gas, you'll reduce wear and tear on your car.

What can I do to get better gas mileage when I do drive?

Go easy on the brakes and gas pedal.
Avoid long idles. Turn off the engine for a lengthy wait. Idling burns more gas than restarting the engine.
Limit car warm-ups in the winter.
Avoid carrying unnecessary items.
Reduce drag by placing items inside the car or trunk rather than on roof racks.
Avoid high speeds. Improve your gas mileage about 15% by driving 55 rather than 65 mph.
Use your air conditioning only when necessary.
Use overdrive. Make use of the overdrive gear as soon as your speed is high enough. The lower the shift speed, the better the fuel economy.
Keep tires properly inflated and aligned.
Get regular engine tune-ups and maintenance checks.
Things to consider when buying a new vehicle:

Get only the options you really need. Optional equipment that adds weight can decrease gas mileage (especially options such as 4-wheel drive). Automatic transmissions generally degrade fuel economy. Larger engines and higher horsepower typically result in lower gas mileage. Check the gas mileage ratings of similar vehicles. Buy a fuel efficient model in the size category that meets your needs. The Federal Gas Mileage Guide, issued annually and free of charge at all auto dealerships, compares gas mileage of similar models. Consider a gas/electric hybrid or all electric vehicle. This new breed of automobiles is an especially good choice for those people who do the majority of their driving in town.

Save Gas and Improve Mileage?

What can I do to save gas?

Walk, bike, take transit, or carpool when possible. Use your car only when necessary. If you own more than one vehicle, drive the one that gets the best gas mileage whenever possible. Combine errands into one trip. Consolidate trips to destinations that are near one another. Once you arrive, park and walk between destinations. Save errands for one afternoon, plan your trip so you don't retrace your route. Not only will you save gas, you'll reduce wear and tear on your car.

What can I do to get better gas mileage when I do drive?

Go easy on the brakes and gas pedal.
Avoid long idles. Turn off the engine for a lengthy wait. Idling burns more gas than restarting the engine.
Limit car warm-ups in the winter.
Avoid carrying unnecessary items.
Reduce drag by placing items inside the car or trunk rather than on roof racks.
Avoid high speeds. Improve your gas mileage about 15% by driving 55 rather than 65 mph.
Use your air conditioning only when necessary.
Use overdrive. Make use of the overdrive gear as soon as your speed is high enough. The lower the shift speed, the better the fuel economy.
Keep tires properly inflated and aligned.
Get regular engine tune-ups and maintenance checks.
Things to consider when buying a new vehicle:

Get only the options you really need. Optional equipment that adds weight can decrease gas mileage (especially options such as 4-wheel drive). Automatic transmissions generally degrade fuel economy. Larger engines and higher horsepower typically result in lower gas mileage. Check the gas mileage ratings of similar vehicles. Buy a fuel efficient model in the size category that meets your needs. The Federal Gas Mileage Guide, issued annually and free of charge at all auto dealerships, compares gas mileage of similar models. Consider a gas/electric hybrid or all electric vehicle. This new breed of automobiles is an especially good choice for those people who do the majority of their driving in town.
I prefer the tune-up my self(fromhttp://ks.essortment.com/howtotuneaca_revt.htm)
What is a tune up? What are the normal things that should be done during a car tune up? How often should a tune up be done and why?

A tune up is done to your car to replace and maintain parts that wear out through usage. Tune ups will insure that your car will continue to run smoothly, continue getting it’s normal gas mileage and prevent severe damage the engine and other major components.

All cars need regular tune-ups about every 30,000 miles. However, with newer model cars made after 1996 there are some things that do not need to be done during a tune up and it is just a waste of money to do so. There are many variations on what should be done at a tune-up. Some mechanics offer very detailed tune-ups that include lots of maintenance procedures that other mechanics do not consider part of the tune-up. Your mechanic should include the following in the tune-up of your car:

Replace the air filter with a new one filter. If you drive on dirt roads you should consider changing the air filter more often than every 30,000 miles. It is very simple and you can do it yourself in just a few minutes at home.

Replace the fuel filter; both fuel filters if your car has two. Replacing the fuel filters every 30,000 miles is the best preventative measure you can take in protecting your car’s fuel system. You can also put in a fuel injector cleaner every so often as recommended by the manufacturer or use a premium gasoline especially if you drive on dusty roads.

Change the spark plugs. When spark plugs get old the spark can not jump over the wires and ignite the fuel properly. Your car will get sluggish, start poorly and get poor gas mileage with old spark plugs. Some of the new cars with platinum spark plugs will only need to be changed every 60,000 miles.

Have your mechanic replace the spark plug wires. Having the wires changed is more expensive, but many times these wires get old and need replacement also.

Some cars should have a new distributor cap and a new rotor at the time of a tune up. To determine if you need a new distributor cap the mechanic will inspect the cap for cracks or black lines or if any deterioration has occurred. A new rotor will be needed if the mechanic finds any cracks, carbon tracks or burning.

Get a valve adjustment if your car has adjustable valves. At this time have the mechanic replace the valve-cover gasket because it is quite common for these covers to begin to leak. A leak in this cover can result in oil around the top of the engine.

Cars older than 1979 need to have the points and condenser changed. This is done on cars without electronic ignition. Cars with electronic ignition should have the ignition timing checked.

Cars that are fuel injected should have the throttle plate cleaned and / or have the air-fuel mixture adjusted. If your car has a carburetor it may need an adjustment.

Have the fluids under the hood checked. Even though you should be doing this on a regular basis more often, having it done during the tune up getting the fluids checked is important.

If your car does not have a manual transmission, have the clutch adjusted.

The battery should be checked during a tune up. The battery terminals and cable ends should be cleaned. Corroded terminals can keep your car from starting. If your battery needs water to be added, the mechanic should fill it with distilled water during a tune up.

The positive crankcase ventilation valve should be replaced during a tune up. A clogged PCV valve is a problem when it causes your car to stall or run poorly.

Keeping your car in top tune-up condition will ensure a longer life, better gas mileage and better performance.
If you can improve your vehicle's performance you can save lots of dough with the high cost of gas now.
Anyone else have any tips for saving on gas? Has anyone tried the "Vornado" or anything else?

Leopards,class of 75
08-15-2005, 09:42 PM
Good info, thanks for the post! Now we need to pray for the fuel price to drop before it gets worse.

SintonFan
08-15-2005, 11:55 PM
Look for it to get worse before Labor Day. It'll get a little worse after Labor Day. Then sometime in late October or November the price will drop some. How much remains to be seen. Production shifts from gasoline to types of home heating oils and whatnot. Demand drops at the same time. Maybe. Our winter is a Chinese economic boomtime. It's taken years to get a grasp of the global market, the so-called experts don't "have a clue". I've been watching patterns for over 15 years now...
we'll see.
I am sure that propane will be over $1.80 locally in Sinton though.:o

SintonFan
08-16-2005, 12:03 AM
Most markets will see over $2 to $2.10 locally for propane. The "coastal bend" is normally a very competitive market for LPG. Good for the local guys but hell on the guys that deliver that stuff.:D

sinfan75
08-16-2005, 04:38 AM
Word on the street is the gas prices will hit $ 3.00 pg before long. Then should level off. I ain't gonna gripe cause oilfield is boomin and that's how I make my livin.

pirate4state
08-16-2005, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I am sure that propane will be over $1.80 locally in Sinton though.:o :eek: :weeping: awwwww, man! :(