PDA

View Full Version : New Mexico States' 'Pistol Pete' Mascot Will Lose Pistol

jason
08-15-2005, 02:37 PM
from Yahoo (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050815/ap_on_sp_co_ne/aggie_mascot)

'Pistol Pete' Mascot Will Lose Pistol

Mon Aug 15, 7:39 AM ET

LAS CRUCES, N.M. - New Mexico State University's mascot, Pistol Pete, is being disarmed. University officials have also stripped the word "Pistol" from Pete's name. The new logo shows Pete twirling a lasso. The old Pete toted a pistol.

The changes are part of a marketing plan to remake the university's image on the national stage. Officials have been working on a redesign of Pistol Pete for months.

Athletics director McKinley Boston said the university plans to unveil the new Pete later this month.

The decision to remove the pistol had more to do with a consensus when picking from several designs of the new logo, rather than any push for the mascot to stop brandishing a weapon, Boston said.

He acknowledged there are mixed feelings among alumni, but said he has heard more positive feedback than negative.

Though no one seems to know exactly how long Pete has been around NMSU, the current costume is 40 years old.

Oscar Avalos, a 2003 NMSU graduate, was disappointed that Pete will no longer be packing his pistol at sporting events.

"Is he going to be Lasso Pete now?" Avalos asked.

NMSU also has unveiled new football uniforms and helmets, and officially designated crimson and white as its colors, eliminating black from all uniforms.

that being said, I must quote my fellow & former 3aDownLow poster, Holmes_Fans - 'RangerMoms sig should be removed because it promotes gun violence'

mwynn05
08-15-2005, 03:27 PM
lol jason

fairfield_06
08-15-2005, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by jason
from Yahoo (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050815/ap_on_sp_co_ne/aggie_mascot)

'Pistol Pete' Mascot Will Lose Pistol

Mon Aug 15, 7:39 AM ET

LAS CRUCES, N.M. - New Mexico State University's mascot, Pistol Pete, is being disarmed. University officials have also stripped the word "Pistol" from Pete's name. The new logo shows Pete twirling a lasso. The old Pete toted a pistol.

The changes are part of a marketing plan to remake the university's image on the national stage. Officials have been working on a redesign of Pistol Pete for months.

Athletics director McKinley Boston said the university plans to unveil the new Pete later this month.

The decision to remove the pistol had more to do with a consensus when picking from several designs of the new logo, rather than any push for the mascot to stop brandishing a weapon, Boston said.

He acknowledged there are mixed feelings among alumni, but said he has heard more positive feedback than negative.

Though no one seems to know exactly how long Pete has been around NMSU, the current costume is 40 years old.

Oscar Avalos, a 2003 NMSU graduate, was disappointed that Pete will no longer be packing his pistol at sporting events.

"Is he going to be Lasso Pete now?" Avalos asked.

NMSU also has unveiled new football uniforms and helmets, and officially designated crimson and white as its colors, eliminating black from all uniforms.

that being said, I must quote my fellow & former 3aDownLow poster, Holmes_Fans - 'RangerMoms sig should be removed because it promotes gun violence' I agree with Holmes_Fans a 110 percent. Lets bring him back and Cunbed

mwynn05
08-15-2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by fairfield_06
I agree with Holmes_Fans a 110 percent. Lets bring him back and Cunbed do you wanna bring jason back too now?

BHKrystal06
08-15-2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
do you wanna bring jason back too now?
yes please how bout we bring him back

sinton66
08-15-2005, 08:33 PM
Not gonna happen. This thread is closed.