PDA

View Full Version : District 30-3A Info - Friends & Foes

IHStangFan
08-15-2005, 01:58 PM
post it here!! if you have stats, news, gossip, views, etc. on 30-3A football this is where it belongs!!! lets keep this one alive!! so basically from the other thread...whats been covered is.....

*Sinton takes it all again this year due to fine atheletes, a great program, and twice as much depth as anyone else in the district.

*Ingleside has the horses to give Sinton a decent run, but just lack Sinton's depth, and tire in the 2nd half.

*Goliad is the unpredictable dark horse who last year played Sinton REAL tough, but then dropped on to Ingleside like 40-6 or something.

*Mathis is always Mathis, they will play everyone hard and probably pull an upset or two.

*Aransas Pass has, and has always had great atheletes, but as of late, thats ALL theyve had. But w/ a new coach, and if Tringali can get some blocking up front...will we see a rejuvinated AP team? I think Tringali is a serious dual threat if he can get some help.

also mentioned over in the other thread that we hijacked....not necessariily 30-3A...but.....

*Orange Grove.......sacraficial lamb for 30-3A?? they always start their pre-season w/ the likes of Sinton and Ingleside and get slaughtered every time.....

*Taft, now in 2A.......hearing some stirring rumors and unwarrented, abnormal babble from Taft....do they have some sorta secret weapon??? what gives??

*West Oso, why all the hype?? they got an ace in the hole i dont know about??

District303aPastPlayer
08-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Will this be another typical year? Or does someone have some spectacular new group that is just going to dominate (continuation of the top 40 thread)

District303aPastPlayer
08-15-2005, 02:01 PM
4 words:

BEWARE THE HOWLING BEAR!

pirate4state
08-15-2005, 02:03 PM
I love it!! :clap: :thumbsup:

Haven't heard much about Oso, but Phil keeps telling us to "Beware of the Howling Bear" guess we better keep our eyes open. :D

Taft will always talk big...they need to check out my signature! ;)

Can't wait to see what kind of tricks Sosa has planned for Sinton this year. :rolleyes:

District303aPastPlayer
08-15-2005, 02:05 PM
i just love the coaches Sinton Syndrome.

YOu have GREAT success in this town...
then you go and eff it up by leaving...
need proof?

Davenport, Davis, Sosa....

Jones and Arroyo are doin good defying it though :)

Phil C
08-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Sinton is indeed in the toughest district as well as the toughest schedule. Sinton will be good indeed but oh that schedule! We will have to be at our best in order to pull out the wins.

Ingleside is so dangerous with their young coach. Only good thing is that the game is in Sinton but since the Ingleside Coach is from Sinton the advantage is offset by great risk. I remember one time about 17 years ago a Sinton ex coached Ingleside to a win over Sinton at our homecoming!!

Aransas Pass with Tringali and that new dynamic coach that has had great success there before increases much fear and danger in their opponents.

Goliad is always dangerous and our game is there this year. Remember they made the playoffs too.

Mathis is always tough especially with Sinton at home and alas! the game is in Mathis this year which increases the risk.

Of course Taft in 2A is dangerous and always plays their best against Sinton and they are bound to be a 2A power very soon. Plus they have a dynamic new coach this year. Plus they have home field advantage with Sinton.

Orange Grove always plays tough. They are not as big as a lot of teams but they get after it. Heck pound for pound they may have the best team in the state.

West Oso is always a great playoff team. What can you say? Beware of the Howling Bear!!

IHStangFan
08-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
4 words:

BEWARE THE HOWLING BEAR! well if theyre a HOWLING bear...i wont exactly have to keep an eye open to know theyre coming right?? Oso has a mediacore year ;)

pirate4state
08-15-2005, 02:07 PM
i just love the coaches Sinton Syndrome.

YOu have GREAT success in this town...
then you go and eff it up by leaving...
need proof?

Davenport, Davis, Sosa....

Jones and Arroyo are doin good defying it though :) You can't really screw up Refugio can you? Where is Arroyo...is he with Jones?

Phil C
08-15-2005, 02:09 PM
No sir no sir! No team can dominate every year. After what TCU did to Texas in 1961 I am convinced of that now more than ever.

District303aPastPlayer
08-15-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
You can't really screw up Refugio can you? Where is Arroyo...is he with Jones?

Arroyo is in Skidmore-Tynan

pirate4state
08-15-2005, 02:12 PM
Arroyo is in Skidmore-Tynan Is he the new AD/HC?

IHStangFan
08-15-2005, 02:13 PM
i see that Refugio is mentioned above. I know Aransas Pass usually plays them in preseason or pre-district. What's the scoop on the Bobcats this year? OKAY...lets change this thread up a bit....to include ex 30-3A teams and teams that are frequently played by 30-3A teams. for example...the last few years we've played Falfurrias, Zapata, Bishop, and the likes of these teams. anyone got a scoop on Zapata this year? the were decent last year. how bout Fal?? have they rebounded yet?? whats the latest out of George West? i remember a time when they were a HANDFUL!

pirate4state
Originally posted by Phil C
Orange Grove ... Heck pound for pound they may have the best team in the state.

Phil - you are KILLIN' ME!!! :D :D :D

District303aPastPlayer
Is he the new AD/HC?

that would be correct...

pirate4state
08-15-2005, 02:14 PM
that would be correct... WOW - no idea... :thinking: Very interesting...

District303aPastPlayer
08-15-2005, 02:15 PM
*wipes Dr. B off of screen after orange grove comment*

Originally Posted by Phil C: Plus they have a dynamic new coach this year.

havent they had a new coach each of the last 3 years, and this guy is entering his 2nd year at the school?

Phil C
08-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Zapata was tough and will be a handful this year. Plus if Sinton plays them again we will have to go to Laredo which makes a whale of a chore facing us.

IHStangFan
08-15-2005, 02:20 PM
okay guys, so i havent heard much on who did what this past weekend in 30-3A.

I know Ingleside won both of their scrimmages, one was against Kenedy, and the other was some private school??

How bout the rest of the district and surrounding schools??

pirate4state
08-15-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
i see that Refugio is mentioned above. I know Aransas Pass usually plays them in preseason or pre-district. What's the scoop on the Bobcats this year? OKAY...lets change this thread up a bit....to include ex 30-3A teams and teams that are frequently played by 30-3A teams. for example...the last few years we've played Falfurrias, Zapata, Bishop, and the likes of these teams. anyone got a scoop on Zapata this year? the were decent last year. how bout Fal?? have they rebounded yet?? whats the latest out of George West? i remember a time when they were a HANDFUL! Refugio always fields a great team, plus they have Coach Jones (an ex-Sinton coach, part of Davis' crew) they should be in the hunt again this year. AP has them in Week 4 I believe. Don't know much about Fal, but I hear Zapata is gonna whup on Sinton in the 2nd round :rolleyes:. Don't know anything about Bishop or George West.

IHStangFan
08-15-2005, 02:21 PM
Zapata was tough and will be a handful this year. Plus if Sinton plays them again we will have to go to Laredo which makes a whale of a chore facing us. yall played Zapata last year alot harder and alot better than i anticipated.....i figured they'd of been a more formitable opponent.

IHStangFan
08-15-2005, 02:22 PM
Havent heard much outa the Tarpon fans so far this year either...theyre usually loud and proud. wonder how theyre gonna look this year.

pirate4state
08-15-2005, 02:37 PM
Havent heard much outa the Tarpon fans so far this year either...theyre usually loud and proud. wonder how theyre gonna look this year. footballgal has stated in other threads that they are young, but will still continue the Tarpon tradition with their Seawall D or something to that effect.

AP Panther Fan
08-15-2005, 02:40 PM
footballgal has stated in other threads that they are young, but will still continue the Tarpon tradition with their Seawall D or something to that effect.

Is she a sportswriter, married to one, or work for the newspaper? :thinking:

pirate4state
08-15-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Is she a sportswriter, married to one, or work for the newspaper? :thinking: I don't know. Why do you ask?

IHStangFan
08-15-2005, 02:42 PM
footballgal has stated in other threads that they are young, but will still continue the Tarpon tradition with their Seawall D or something to that effect. I'll be anxious to see what theyre made of this year.

Any scoop on Woodsboro? Port Lavaca? Rockport? Agua Dulce?

A few others i'm interested in:

Edna, Industrial, Ganado, etc.

AP Panther Fan
08-15-2005, 02:47 PM
I don't know. Why do you ask?

She just always has such good and informative info on PI and usually right after the fact. Heck, the local papers down here are mostly weekly and we wait for whatever articles we can get.

IHS, I did hear that the Progress/Index website will be updating football scores online as quickly as they can get them on Friday nights (good news for you).

pirate4state
08-15-2005, 02:49 PM
She just always has such good and informative info on PI and usually right after the fact. Heck, the local papers down here are mostly weekly and we wait for whatever articles we can get.

IHS, I did hear that the Progress/Index website will be updating football scores online as quickly as they can get them on Friday nights (good news for you). She does, doesn't she... :thinking: We'll have to ask her. :)

IHStangFan
08-15-2005, 02:53 PM

IHS, I did hear that the Progress/Index website will be updating football scores online as quickly as they can get them on Friday nights (good news for you). GREAT!!! i was wondering about that......like we had discussed before, it seemed before that the Index/Progress only updated every week or two, and the Caller just doesnt cover our teams unless its Sinton -vs-GP or something, otherwise its always one of those Corpus schools, Miller or Ray or Carroll, and occasionally Calallen or F.B. but no 30-3A teams....i think their writers and whatnot are bias...heres a big ole middle finger to em!! :D

Old Green
08-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Refugio always fields a great team, plus they have Coach Jones (an ex-Sinton coach, part of Davis' crew) they should be in the hunt again this year. AP has them in Week 4 I believe. Don't know much about Fal, but I hear Zapata is gonna whup on Sinton in the 2nd round :rolleyes:. Don't know anything about Bishop or George West. Guy i work with from refugio says they'll have a lot more depth this year. 35 players compared to last years team of 27 players. Refugio also has their 2 Rb's back.

District303aPastPlayer
08-15-2005, 02:56 PM
GREAT!!! i was wondering about that......like we had discussed before, it seemed before that the Index/Progress only updated every week or two, and the Caller just doesnt cover our teams unless its Sinton -vs-GP or something, otherwise its always one of those Corpus schools, Miller or Ray or Carroll, and occasionally Calallen or F.B. but no 30-3A teams....i think their writers and whatnot are bias...heres a big ole middle finger to em!! :D

caller works with KRIS... KRIS lead sports guy is Art the Hack... The Hack is from portland... coincidence... i think not..

Fish's mom
08-15-2005, 02:59 PM
Ingleside seems to have taken care of that tiring problem.Summer conditioning went well, alot of the boys at the gym. If I see a problem with Ingleside team, it would be young team. Coaching staff is excellent.

Been lots of talk about West Oso, might be just Hype don't know(so much that they moved our homecoming IHS to Falfur. game instead of West OSo game? All I've heard is about is one player that's real good but it'll take more than that.

Sinton, watch out for Goliad's field , Hard ground, even got alittle cement on it. Boys don't like to play on it.

Hasn't been much talk about Orange Grove or even Zapata this year How are they looking? We travel to Zapata Week 2.

Tarpons usually have alot more to say too, they'll be here soon.
Yea Sea wall.

pirate4state
08-15-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Fish's mom
Sinton, watch out for Goliad's field , Hard ground, even got alittle cement on it. Boys don't like to play on it. Thanks for the heads up! I am not looking forward to going there. We've already had trouble when going to Goliad. :rolleyes:

IHStangFan
08-15-2005, 03:02 PM
caller works with KRIS... KRIS lead sports guy is Art the Hack... The Hack is from portland... coincidence... i think not.. LOL!!! that would explain it perfectly...that dude is a tool.

AP Panther Fan
08-15-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
Guy i work with from refugio says they'll have a lot more depth this year. 35 players compared to last years team of 27 players. Refugio also has their 2 Rb's back.

I have the utmost respect for Refugio. I think they have a good program over there year after year. I'm sure someone could spit out some statistics that might reflect otherwise, but that is just my personal opinion.;)

District303aPastPlayer
08-15-2005, 03:06 PM
LOL!!! that would explain it perfectly...that dude is a tool.

i saw him once at HEB in sinton... i really think he believes half of the stuff he tells people :)

pirate4state
08-15-2005, 03:07 PM
I have the utmost respect for Refugio. I think they have a good program over there year after year. I'm sure someone could spit out some statistics that might reflect otherwise, but that is just my personal opinion.;) Me too!! :clap:

pirate4state
08-15-2005, 03:08 PM
i saw him once at HEB in sinton... i really think he believes half of the stuff he tells people :) you should've kicked him! :eek: :D

District303aPastPlayer
08-15-2005, 03:08 PM
I have the utmost respect for Refugio. I think they have a good program over there year after year. I'm sure someone could spit out some statistics that might reflect otherwise, but that is just my personal opinion.;)

how about last team from this area to win a state title?

District303aPastPlayer
08-15-2005, 03:09 PM
you should've kicked him! :eek: :D

he saw one of the star football players, no names said... and just looked at him... i dont think he recognized him...

IHStangFan
08-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Ingleside Index....its a work in progress:
www.theinglesideindex.com

Aransas Pass Progress:
http://www.aransaspassprogress.com/

Corpus Christi Caller Times:
www.caller.com

if any of you guys have more links to local papers, post em!!

IHStangFan
08-15-2005, 03:12 PM
i saw him once at HEB in sinton... i really think he believes half of the stuff he tells people :) wouldnt suprise me. Big Daddy Russ used to write for the Progress/Index and mentioned having conversed w/ the guy as well.......if i remember correctly, BDR said basically the same about him.

pirate4state
08-15-2005, 03:15 PM

Aransas Pass Progress:

www.caller.com

if any of you guys have more links to local papers, post em!! San Pat Co. News is not on the net. Hell, we're lucky if the letters to the editor are printed on the same page! :rolleyes:

Phil C
08-15-2005, 03:16 PM

Aransas Pass Progress:

www.caller.com

Way to go Ingleside and Aransas Pass!

Fish's mom
08-15-2005, 03:16 PM

Aransas Pass Progress:

www.caller.com

IHS Index link no good and old

Go to Ingleside Index link on Progress link. Index is up and working through Progress link. Check it out and you'll see what I mean.

IHStangFan
08-15-2005, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Fish's mom
IHS Index link no good and old

Go to Ingleside Index link on Progress link. Index is up and working through Progress link. Check it out and you'll see what I mean. evidently there are two diff. versions up right now...the old pages and the new ones......try them now...

District303aPastPlayer
08-15-2005, 03:24 PM
San Pat Co. News is not on the net. Hell, we're lucky if the letters to the editor are printed on the same page! :rolleyes:

they arent, lol well, not all the time..

IHStangFan
08-15-2005, 03:53 PM
you know who you are and what you did!!! :clap:

AP Panther Fan
08-15-2005, 03:56 PM
evidently there are two diff. versions up right now...the old pages and the new ones......try them now...

New ownership and they have been working on their website....I haven't checked it out lately, but did talk to the editor over the weekend and he will be updating from his home on Friday nights.:thumbsup:

IHStangFan
08-15-2005, 04:00 PM
New ownership and they have been working on their website....I haven't checked it out lately, but did talk to the editor over the weekend and he will be updating from his home on Friday nights.:thumbsup: thats freakin outstanding!

pirate4state
08-15-2005, 04:02 PM
you know who you are and what you did!!! :clap:

I noticed!! :D :clap:

IHStangFan
08-15-2005, 04:09 PM
With a little less than four weeks left before the start of the regular season, there isn't much time to fill the following vacancies:

Gregory-Portland:

Casey Allen, G-P, linebacker

The Most Valuable Linebacker in District 31-4A last season, Allen was the most productive player in the South Texas in terms of defensive output. He recorded 169 tackles, including 75 solo stops, to help lead the Wildcats to the Region IV-4A Division II championship game and a No. 1 state ranking at the end of the regular season.

As much savvy as Allen showed finding the ball, the 6-2, 210-pound Allen also had a knack for causing problems at the line of scrimmage. He posted four sacks and also had 25 quarterback hurries to go along with three pass deflections and three fumble recoveries.

Replacing Allen isn't going to be easy, but coach George Harris has a feeling that Courtney Greer could be the one to plug the gap.

At 5-8 and 205, Greer did the most damage last season as the fullback in G-P's Wing-T offense. He chipped in 415 yards rushing and seven touchdowns as one of several ball carriers, but it wasn't until injuries late in the season forced Harris to use Greer on defense.

Greer was able to step in and make an impact only to miss the final two games of G-P's playoff run with a knee injury. Harris said Greer's role on offense is going to diminish this season, which should allow the senior to develop as a linebacker.

Refugio:

David Canchola, Refugio, linebacker

Canchola was a big reason why Refugio made it three rounds in the playoffs last season, finishing with 153 tackles - 16 of those for a loss. His contributions also included three caused fumbles, two fumble recoveries and 12 QB pressures.

The effort hardly went unnoticed.

The 5-8, 205-pound inside linebacker earned All-State honorable mention by The Associated Press and was a first-team all-district selection for the second straight season. Accolades like those aren't easy to come by - and neither are players like Canchola.

Fortunately for coach Chris Jones and the Bobcats, there is Robert Picena to help pick up the slack.

The 6-0, 190-pound Picena made 73 tackles as a junior last season and nabbed second-team all-district honors as an outside linebacker. If Picena can increase his production, Refugio could already have its new leader on defense.

Sinton:

Travis Franco, Sinton, running back

Even if Sinton wanted to keep its offense a secret last season, it wasn't easy with Franco brutalizing opposing defenses for what turned out to be one of the best individual scoring performances in South Texas history.

The District 30-3A MVP reached the end zone 41 times as a senior, fifth all-time in the area. Franco finished with 1,702 yards and 35 touchdowns rushing while also catching six scoring passes for the Pirates in their run to the Region IV-3A Division I title game.

Franco also scored seven times in a 53-12 victory over Mathis during the regular season, the second-best single-game touchdown effort in the area. It also helped ensure a fourth straight undefeated run to the District 30-3A title.

With Franco gone, it's up to junior Josh Ring to take some of the pressure off returning quarterback Daniel Ramirez - one of only five offensive starters back on offense. Franco's presence didn't give Ring much opportunity to showcase his abilities last season, however.

Ring rushed for nearly 200 yards and three touchdowns in mostly mop-up duty last season, including 101 yards and a score in three playoff games. That could be a start to yet another long playoff run by the Pirates.

District303aPastPlayer
08-15-2005, 06:26 PM
Ring and Franco... ahh... dreams...

SintonFan
08-15-2005, 06:46 PM
Ring and Franco... ahh... dreams...
Don't forget the ZACH ATTACK!!!!!:clap:

pirate4state
08-15-2005, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Don't forget the ZACH ATTACK!!!!!:clap: :thinking: I didn't notice him much on Saturday on offense, but he was all over the place with DEFENSE!!! If he is still wearing the same #? :thinking:

District303aPastPlayer
08-15-2005, 06:51 PM
Don't forget the ZACH ATTACK!!!!!:clap:

how could i...

SintonFan
08-15-2005, 06:55 PM
Heck of I know?:D
I do talk to some of the parents on occasion but I rely on yall for most of my info.:)
Jeez, I've talked to more GP parents lately though.:o

District303aPastPlayer
08-15-2005, 07:00 PM
Heck of I know?:D
I do talk to some of the parents on occasion but I rely on yall for most of my info.:)
Jeez, I've talked to more GP parents lately though.:o

*points to taft* 181 runs this way sir...

SintonFan_inAustin
08-15-2005, 07:20 PM
dont forget #5, he was out almost the whole year last year. OMG they look like they are stronger than last year? ? ? I think so..

SintonFan
08-15-2005, 07:30 PM
*points to taft* 181 runs this way sir...
You know I cover the entire coastal bend with my job?:inlove:
BTW, some of them GP folks believe they might be a lil' slower but better this year. Some of them don't. Consensus from what I gather is confidence is guarded.
Good to hear from you SintonFan_inAustin! :clap:

pirate4state
08-16-2005, 08:46 AM
You know I cover the entire coastal bend with my job?:inlove:
BTW, some of them GP folks believe they might be a lil' slower but better this year. Some of them don't. Consensus from what I gather is confidence is guarded.
Good to hear from you SintonFan_inAustin! :clap: I've heard the same thing about GP that they've lost a step...:thinking: Very interesting! I'd love to beat them at home. :)

BTW: The Booster club made up these really cool shirts for the game. They'll be on sale Aug. 22 at meet the coaches night. Apparently, they are so cool that they think they'll sell out so get there early!! Battle of Hwy 181. :D

District303aPastPlayer
08-16-2005, 09:01 AM
i love how taft can stake no claim to 181, lol

Phil C
08-16-2005, 09:21 AM
I've heard the same thing about GP that they've lost a step...:thinking: Very interesting! I'd love to beat them at home. :)

BTW: The Booster club made up these really cool shirts for the game. They'll be on sale Aug. 22 at meet the coaches night. Apparently, they are so cool that they think they'll sell out so get there early!! Battle of Hwy 181. :D

Hey Pirate are they going to sell those flags that you can put on your car window as you drive down the road? They used to.

pirate4state
08-16-2005, 09:47 AM
Hey Pirate are they going to sell those flags that you can put on your car window as you drive down the road? They used to. I'm not sure, but I'll see if I can find out.

AP Panther Fan
08-16-2005, 09:54 AM
Our booster club was out in full force last Saturday at the scrimmage. We have some "cool" shirts this year...you know made out of that lightweight, you're not supposed to sweat, material!:D

You guys will surely be jealous when you see me sporting mine!:cool:

(It even has the stripes that start under the sleeve and taper down the side of the shirt....like a football uniform):p

pirate4state
08-16-2005, 10:11 AM

You guys will surely be jealous when you see me sporting mine!:cool:

LOL :rolleyes: Its still purple!! :p :D

AP Panther Fan
08-16-2005, 10:14 AM
LOL :rolleyes: Its still purple!! :p :D

and gold! ;) :D :D :D

pirate4state
08-16-2005, 10:16 AM
and gold! ;) :D :D :D :eek: :doh:

I'm sure they are just lovely. :)

District303aPastPlayer
08-16-2005, 10:32 AM
can i get one of those?

AP Panther Fan
08-16-2005, 10:36 AM
can i get one of those?

Only if you promise to wear it to Sinton Home Games! :D

Chili might show more on the purple than maroon.....but mustard, now that will blend right in with our colors!:cool:

pirate4state
08-16-2005, 11:21 AM
How did this get off topic? :mad: This is a football...wait a minute...nevermind...continue ;) Sorry Phil. :D

sinfan75
08-16-2005, 05:25 PM
how about last team from this area to win a state title? Refugio in '81 or '82 I believe.

District303aPastPlayer
08-16-2005, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
Refugio in '81 or '82 I believe.

thats what i meant... i think...

pirate4state
08-22-2005, 09:40 AM
Ughh...gotta go to Taft this week. :weeping: Can't wait to see the unveiling of their secret weapon. ;) :D

Anyone going to meet the coaches tonight?