PDA

View Full Version : Fury....How did the Vernon/Ballinger Scrimmage go?

vet93
08-15-2005, 12:02 PM
I haven't heard much about the scrimmage....how did the lions and bearcats look?

injuredinmelee
08-15-2005, 01:48 PM
I like the fact that Ballinger is scrimmaging the BIG boys. When they were in Wylies district they were always scary. They never had many kids but they were well coached and they would hit ya!

fury900
08-15-2005, 03:00 PM
Vernon 492 yards of total offense and scored five TD
Combining the first and second team numbers the scored five TD
while holding the Bearcat to one TD and 192 yards of total offenes

Vernon first team offenes rushed for 260 yards on 22 carries while completing 3 of 8 passes for 157 yards

Vernon has 4 tailbacks and 3 fullbacks and they all accumuated those yards

Defensively the allowed the Bearcats first-team offenes to rush for
90 yards on 17 carries and to complete 4 -of-13-int 1 passes for 26 yards one TD

Ballingsr is mainly throwing team 6-5 QB and 6-5 WR

vet93
08-15-2005, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the update Fury...sounds like the Bearcats have some defense to work on! Do you have a read on the JV and freshman scrimmages? Looks like the Lions are looking to improve from last year....could they make a strong bid for the district championship?

fury900
08-15-2005, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by vet93
Thanks for the update Fury...sounds like the Bearcats have some defense to work on! Do you have a read on the JV and freshman scrimmages? Looks like the Lions are looking to improve from last year....could they make a strong bid for the district championship?

i did not go to the scrimmages inf out of the Vernon Daily Record

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-16-2005, 02:08 PM
Vet:

I spoke to a Vernon player who related that the Ballinger QB was on fire! However, he didn't get any help from his receivers as they dropped a few passes at critical times. If they get that ironed out they should have a very good passing attack.

vet93
08-16-2005, 02:43 PM
Thanks Z....I am glad that there is a silver lining somewhere! The lions should get a good look at their progress this week against Sweetwater....it will be interesting to see how Sweetwater can handle the rushing attack of the lions and visa versa.

jmcgee
08-20-2005, 01:00 PM
vet i am pleased to say that they handled it quite well. Vernon's offense had just 191 yards, 111 rushing and 80 pas-sing, and had three turnovers in the scrimmage to none for the Mustangs, who ran a total of 60 plays to the Lions' 45 and averaged five more yards per play -- 9.2 to 4.2. On the other hand vernon didnt handle it well at all.
On offense, Sweetwater had 549 total yards, including 460 rushing, in the scrimmage that ended with a 12-minute "live" quarter that was played under game-type conditions. And the Mustangs were also deadly on the occasions when they went to the air, as their trio of signal callers -- Sonny Birdwell, Ken-dal Carrillo and Duone Cun-nings -- were a combined 9-of-12 with no interceptions.

Skye Green scorched Vernon with rushing touchdowns of 61 and 65 yards and Cunnings, Joseph Banyard and Birdwell also ran for TDs. Cunnings had a 10-yard score on the next-to-last offensive play under the controlled format, completing a short drive he set up with a 55-yard run to Vernon's 15.

Banyard had a 12-yard scor-ing run right before Cunnings' 55-yard burst, while Birdwell capped Sweetwater's only scoring drive of the live quarter with a 3-yard run that came at the 7:11 mark.

The other Sweetwater touchdown, which technically didn't count due to a penalty, came on a 30-yard pass by Cunnings to Shawn Kincaid.

Green had 137 yards on just five carries and Cunnings had 103 on only six totes. Banyard added 69 yards on nine runs. Kendal Carrillo had 34 yards, Justin Adames 27, Joe Lim-ones 23, Birdwell 21, Maurice Rosas 17, Rufus McCann 12, Justin Rodriguez 10, J.J. Mc-Coy five and Auston Davis two.

injuredinmelee
08-20-2005, 04:56 PM
wow i have never seen so many stats from a scrimmage.